Roy Jones KO'd!!!

One of the saddest things I’ve ever watched in sports.

You could tell from the beggining of the fight that Tarver was looking to counter Jones. I wouldn’t exactly call it a lucky punch, but it was perfectly timed. Jones looked as though he was going to eat Tarver alive in the first round and a half. I was really dissapointed to see Jones lose this way and I hope he can recover psychologically from the KO to fight and beat Tarver in a 3rd fight.

I’m 23, and I don’t think my generation has had a rivalry the likes of leonard-duran, leonard-hearns, hearns-hagler, ali-frazier, dempsey-tunney, etc…I think there needs to be a third fight, hopefully within a year, and if these guys (particularly tarver, who is much more charismatic and interesting,) can make some news and hype this thing outside the die-hard boxing community, then I think this thing could give the sport the push it needs, and maybe be on the same level (or close) to some of those fights I mentioned before.

If you don’t think so, consider that Jones was considered by many to be a better pound-for-pound fighter than any of those fighters I mentioned. And however over the hill Roy is, bear in mind that Tarver, although a lot less experienced, is the same age as Roy.

Tarver’s career is clearly defined by his pursuit of Roy, and I think that if there’s a third fight, then win or lose, Roy’s career will be defined by the Tarver fights. I think the money is there, and I hope for the sake of the sport of boxing that they do this thing one final time.

It was a fluke. Jones owned tarver up until he missed the right, it opened up a perfect opportunity for tarver to connect a perfect punch that would have taken anyone down.

Had that moment not occured, Jone would have won. Tarver only landed 7 out of 54 punches, Jones 12 of 42. Points and percentages were in favor of a Jones victory.

I think Jones should rematch, take his title back and move on.

K-TRAIN: It’s not like an 8th round knockout where Jones was dominating every minute of the fight. Punchstats don’t mean anything when you get KTFO’d in the second round! All the respect in the world to Roy, he’s still gotta be near the top of the all-time pound for pound list, one knockout loss doesn’t take that from him, but right now, given the way both fights went and the directions their respective careers are taking, I think it’s fair to say that Tarver is the better fighter, at least at 175. Roy’s handspeed is still there, but I don’t think his footspeed and reactions are what they were, and if he doesn’t adjust stylistically the way successful older fighters have to (e.g. toney, hopkins,…) then Tarver will beat him again.

I’d really love to see a rubber-match, and I think Roy can win if he makes some adjustments, and prepares for the fight of his life, which it most certainly would be.

Ramo- I agree but looking at what stats are there I still think Jones would have won by decision. Jones is a more technical fighter therefore the percentages were in his favor.

Tarver is a good fighter, but I think the opportunity presented by Jones’ mistake was the factor, he opened himself up for that KO and got his bell rung. It was a hell of a hit.

It very well might have been Jones slowing reation time that lead to it though, it seems he just let down.

But like you said, stats dont matter if you’re on your ass looking at little birdies flying around your head.

I hope thay fight again that would be a great fight!