Rows vs Rear Lateral Raises

The main focus of my training is strength in the powerlifts and as such I spend time benching, it’s usually recommended to compensate for all the benching that you hit the rear delts which I usually do via rear lateral raises.

However I was wondering if some sort of rowing exercise might be more beneficial to me ie T-bar, chest supported, seated rows or just basic bent over rows as my main goal is strength although I wouldn’t mind building up my rear delts and traps in the process ?

I do DB rows more for strength and building my bench, and then do laterals and rear laterals for strength in the shoulder girdle…so basically two different uses with some obvious overlap. Find a way to get them both in. I rarely go higher than 25lbs for all raises, and keep reps above 15.

You may have a different mindset, and that’s perfectly ok.

Do both. Rows are awesome, and so is rear delt specific work. I like to superset the two, which can be incredibly easy if you do band pull aparts as a rear delt move.

I feel like the rear delts could always use more work.

@ IronOne I only use around 8kgs/17lbs for rear laterals and like yourself use high reps more often than not ie 3x15 or 5x10.

@ P3hPwnisher I get the impression that most would agree with you regards the rear delts could always do with more work…with band pull aparts how hard should it be to pull the band apart ( I know its a higher rep exercise but think perhaps the thing I’ve been making do with isn’t giving me enough resistance )

[quote]tredaway wrote:
@P3hPwnisher I get the impression that most would agree with you regards the rear delts could always do with more work…with band pull aparts how hard should it be to pull the band apart ( I know its a higher rep exercise but think perhaps the thing I’ve been making do with isn’t giving me enough resistance )[/quote]

I just do 20 reps at a pop. It’s never to failure, nor is it something that’s “hard”, it’s more about building up volume.

I really wouldn’t try to “make do” with something here. Just get a for real resistance band. A miniband is like $5.

I’ve just googled resistance band and it turns out that’s what I have been using although they don’t really provide much resistance but as I said I’m not sure how difficult the exercise should be.

[quote]tredaway wrote:
I’ve just googled resistance band and it turns out that’s what I have been using although they don’t really provide much resistance but as I said I’m not sure how difficult the exercise should be.[/quote]

Google “elitefts miniband” or “jump stretch miniband”. That’s more what it should be. If you’re using one of those, then again, the point isn’t to make it difficult, it’s to build up volume. If you’re contracting your rear delts, you’re good.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]tredaway wrote:
I’ve just googled resistance band and it turns out that’s what I have been using although they don’t really provide much resistance but as I said I’m not sure how difficult the exercise should be.[/quote]

Google “elitefts miniband” or “jump stretch miniband”. That’s more what it should be. If you’re using one of those, then again, the point isn’t to make it difficult, it’s to build up volume. If you’re contracting your rear delts, you’re good.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice i’ll check it out.

Consider face pulls instead:

[quote]tredaway wrote:
@ P3hPwnisher I get the impression that most would agree with you regards the rear delts could always do with more work…with band pull aparts how hard should it be to pull the band apart ( I know its a higher rep exercise but think perhaps the thing I’ve been making do with isn’t giving me enough resistance )[/quote]

Just do twenty reps with constant tension; you should feel a mild burn in your rear delts at the end of it. Don’t worry about progressing in strength or going to failure on these; just get plenty of blood in there.

I think the above covers it but as someone who had issues benching an empty bar for six months, I wanted to share some tips.

Firstly from Defranco: throw a band in your desk/lunch bag. 100 band pull aparts per day (20 upon waking, 20 when you sit down, 20 at lunch, 20 at home time, 20 before bed for example) - he has lots of loading techniques. Replace the band now and again.

Secondly, from Cressey: drop the chins until you sort your shoulder mobility out - if this is an issue for you. I think the article was on here and gave tips for testing.