Rowing, Strength and All Round Athleticism

27/06/2016

8km outing in a double with a few higher rate pieces.

28/06/2016

Lunch:
20 minute run on treadmill, 10 minutes at 13kph, 10 minutes at 14kph.
Don’t normally go in treadmill, but was more seeing if I still had any pain in my achilles, but it seemed all good.

PM
10 minutes mobility
15 minutes ab and core circuit.

29/06/2016

4 x 1500m on ergo r26 at 1:50.9 split.

First 3 were 1:49 split, but faded badly at the end. Big difference though doing my first squad training session back. Was tough, but I need to get back into the routine and prepare well for next season.

30/06/2016

About 30 minutes on turbo, but just felt so drained today. Had a good week so far though, so back on it tomorrow and hopefully on the water again on Saturday.

02/07/2016

10km outing in a coxed 4.

03/07/2016

12 minute run to gym

300 Workout done in 23:34

25 Pull Ups
50 x 60kg Deadlifts
50 Press Ups
50 Box Jumps
50 Knees to Elbows
50 1 Arm DB Snatch
25 Pull Ups

04/07/2016

20 minute row at 1:59.4 split r18.

This sucked balls, need to do better!!!

05/07/2016

Lunch:
25 minutes on stationary bike level12.

PM
8km outing in double scull.

11/07/2016

10km outing in double scull. Slowly improving.

12/07/2016

Lunch
5.4km run in 24:16

PM
Swim:
250m warm up
10 x 100m on 1:50 front crawl
4 x 100m breastroke on 2:00 (missed the last one, but only because of someone in my way)

13/07/2016

5 x 1000m sprints rowing on the erg.

Averaged sub 1:45 split on the first 4, then hit 1:53 as I blew up badly.

14/07/2016

10km outing in double scull, with more higher rate pieces.

16/07/2016

11km outing in double scull. Best session by far and only a week away until my first race of 2016. Can’t wait to compete again.

17/07/2016

9km in double scull with a novice.

PM
49 minute turbo session to “The Wretched” Sufferfest video.

Really pushed it this weekend.

18/07/2016

10km in double scull. Mostly race pieces and prep.

19/07/2016

9km in double scull. Last outing before this weekends race.

Will keep intensity light and keep up with mobility work in the meantime. Once this race is done, that will be season over (although it hasn’t been much of a season for me personally) and it will be straight into getting some rowing mileage and decent sessions in the weights room in prep for next season. I will also try and get out on my bike more if the weather stays like this.

23/07/2016

RACE DAY

So first time ever racing in a scull. Breezed through the early rounds, really comfortable and managed to win at fairly conservative rates, but beaten in the semi final by a stronger crew. When challenged a lot of my technical limitations in a scull showed and I was unable to really push myself physically as a result.

24/07/2016

RACE DAY (only 500m sprints on the Sunday)

Again breezed through the early rounds and had a really solid semi final. Was excited for the final, but air stroked off the start which messed up the steering and over 500m had no chance to recover.

Disappointed with the result, but at least I have some race experience in a scull now. Its something to build on.

25/07/2016

Rest day after long weekend racing, camping and travelling.

26/07/2016

10km in a coxed 4.

Solid outing and I feel so much more comfortable sweep rowing, so got some good work done today. Erg tomorrow, then weights Thursday. Stepping things up now this preseason. Only break will be the week I go to Switzerland, but will be doing a lot of hiking and rock climbing in the mountains as well as white water rafting and maybe some fell running.

27/07/2016

2 x 4km row on erg at 1:59.3 split r20.

Just need to get mileage done now.

So not been logging much, basically did a lot of rowing, then moved house, been stuck without Wifi thanks to the joys of BT and for some reason I can’t seem to long in on my phone using data.

Also, just been on holiday in Switzerland so have climbed 2 mountains a 350m vertical via ferrata category 4 and did my first glacier walk, where I needed an ice axe. Was an amazing holiday, I love the outdoors and certainly pushed myself out of my comfort zone with the climb and hit a peak over 2000m higher than anything I have done before.

1 Like

VERY BEAUTIFUL!! I can only dream of vacations like that.

@countrygirl2016 - Yeah the place was amazing. I was lucky to have a friend working there, so had a free place to stay, but if you ever do get chance I would 100% recommend it. Both in the valley and up in the mountains, it was amazing and got chance to do activities I might never do again.

14/08/2016

50 minute cycle on turbo to Sufferfest “A Very Dark Place” video.

Felt good, given the amount of walking, climbing and running in Switzerland, it is one of those rare holidays where I have probably come back fitter.

Just over 2 months until first race of the new season, so it is coming around quick. Key training goals are to get a lot of mileage in and back to 2 weights session a week. I plan on experimenting with a few more conditioning and core ideas within my giant sets, so may tinker with those slightly, but the main strength parts will be very similar. I plan on taking a slight step back in weight, focusing on form and explosiveness with a steady increase from there. Was very happy to hit over 500kg total in my big 3 lifts, but first and foremost how fast I move a boat is the primary goal.

1 Like

You are extremely lucky to have a friend there. I’m a little jealous about that but maybe someday I can have an adventure like that!! You absolutely got a workout I’m sure.

@countrygirl2016 - Yeah definitely lucky, but after recent events I feel I have to live my life to the fullest. Hopefully you get chance to adventure soon. Do you do much travelling?

15/08/2016

6km row on erg 1:58.0 split r20. Fitness felt fine but had a bit of pain in left hip flexors think this was from climbing the via ferrata so never got the 2nd 6km done.

16/08/2016

11km row in double. Had ro take it fairly easy but hip hasnt worsened. Done plenty of stretching and lax ball work so hopefully back to normal in couple of days. Might swim tomorrow rather than row just to be safe.

1 Like

Oh my goodness I hope you are well!!! I absolutely agree with living to the fullest but sometimes easier said then done. I’m excited for you though :grin: The only traveling I ever did was military related but I dream about it a lot haha!

@countrygirl2016 - Yeah I am good thanks, I lost a close friend who was only 26, really puts things into perspective. Always easier said than done, but I always think if you keep a positive outlook on things, be happy with what you have got, but always be hungry to see more, do more and achieve more; you can really start to live life to the fullest and makes it easier to find energy and a way to make a positive change, rather than finding an excuse. Keep with it though and I am sure you will get chance to travel and explore areas of the world you have never seen.

17/08/2016

Hip has felt a bit dodgy since Monday which has put weights on the backburner a bit, so ended up doing a 1,2km swim and stretch in the sauna.

Definitely felt a lot better afterwards and went for a quick kick around in the park with a football and rugby ball late evening to take advantage of the good weather.

18/08/2016

Hip was much better today, will definitely get some weights (even if a bit lighter to start with) done on Saturday.

Lunch:
30 minute cycle at 236 watts per hour. Good to take advantage of time at lunch break again.

PM
12km row in a single scull. By far my best outing and most distance done in single.

With a bit more work, hope to nail sculling which will be massive for both technical improvement and for fitness work if I can start bashing out 15km+ in a single. Mileage is the key at this point.

1 Like

I’m very sorry to hear that and can’t imagine what that would feel like. I’m happy you are making the most of your life and turning something tragic into a lesson for yourself. From the little bit you have said you seem like a special person! I’ll keep dreaming and will eventually get there. Thank you for being open.

@countrygirl2016 - Thanks, it genuinely does mean a lot.

Had Friday off as was just shattered. In hindsight I should have done a cycle or something. In 3 weeks time I want to be fully adapted to the volume of training again and don’t want to be missing sessions like these.

20/08/2016

Double outing;

1st outing:
8km in coxed 4.

2nd outing:
8km in a pair.

Not going to lie a lot of work needs to be done technically and we need to be getting a lot more distance in. Still some new up and coming guys joining the squad who are committed and have solid fitness levels, so not going to get too downhearted as they get up to standard technically.

21/08/2016

10 minute boxing on the pads (love this addition to my gym in the garage.

Deadlifts: 60/3, 90/3, 110/3, 130/3, 140/3, 150/7

Giant Sets:
Clean and Press: 50/3, 60/3, 70/3
Spiderman Plank: 16, 16, 16
Pinch Grip Farmers work: 20/10m, 20/10m, 20/10m
Boxing combo on pads: 5, 5, ,5

Quick session and fairly light to get back into it (although partly limited by only having 150kg in my garage), but still got some decent work done. Kept all reps fast and explosive and liked some of the additions to my giant sets. Holding 20kg weight plates with pinch grip was challenging and I liked the extra conditioning exercises in there. Will get back to lifting proper weights on Deadlift and Clean and Press soon.

1 Like