T Nation

Rowing Machine Routine?

Anyone have a good routine on a rowing machine? What is a good distance and time to shoot far? Would 2000 meters in 10 min be a good goal? Thanks-

I used to be on my University’s Crew team. The rowing machine (Erg) is a really great tool to get the whole body incorporated. Just make sure you are doing it with good form. Usually, a sprint race is 2000 meters or 2k. A good goal for that would be to get it under 8 minutes.

Thanks thoughts- Back in high school, I had some buddys who wrestled and the would row 2000k in 10 min. So I always thought that was a good distance and time.

When you first start out on the rowing machine you should work to make sure your form and technique are solid before moving on to time/distance pieces.

The motion of the drive is pretty self-explanatory. Drive your legs down, swing open slightly with your back, and pull in with your arms. In that order- its almost analogous to doing a power clean.

Once you complete your drive, the most common mistake is to break your knees too early as you return to the start of the stroke. Extend your arms fully (to where your elbows are almost locked out) before you break your knees.

As far as workouts go- start off with some light rowing emphasizing those technical points i mentioned before you start cranking on it. To begin, set the resistance around a 5, which closely simulates the resistance provided by water. Go for 5-10 min, or whatever feels comfortable. Just build up from there.

As far as good times go, 2000m in 10 minutes is pretty slow. I’d aim for breaking 8 min once you get a good feel for the machine etc. Should be pretty easy if you’ve got a good base of strength and even a minimal amount of cardio.

2000m in 10 minutes, is 2:30/500 m, the pace that is normally on the screen on an erg. That seems very slow to me. My mom is over 50, rarely used to workout at all except walk, and she rows about that pace. I would aim for a 10 minute pace well below 8, closer to 7.

We cant give you a good rowing routine unless you give us your goals…

I just talked to my friend. He was actually rowing 2500 in under 10 min. My goal is cardio… Get into better shape. The gym Iam at now, has a machine.

Go to the Concept II website and order the free DVD. Australia’s “Oarsome Foursome” go through the basic movements and give some pretty good pointers.

http://www.concept2.com/us/indoorrowers/brochure_request.asp

For cardio/general fitness on the erg, its good to vary the workouts you do. Here are a few ideas:

1 min on, 1 min off x10-15. This is an HIIT workout, pull as hard as possible for 1 min, active recovery on the machine for 1 minute. repeat 10-15 times as your fitness and training allow.

1000mx3-5. 2min rest between sets. Max pressure. This will activate your anerobic energy system pretty hard.

20min+ steady state piece. Keep a consistent stroke rating 18-22 strokes per minute, at a consistent heart rate. Toss in a few 10 stroke pieces every 4-5 min to keep it interesting.

Mixing it up between times, distances, rest intervals, etc. will keep it from getting tedious, and will give you the opportunity to stimulate different energy systems.

Thanks Hawk- thats what I was looking far.

Mingledorff,

Unless you’re actually a competitive rower (outdoor or indoor), then the real answer is to keep at it, and your times will improve.

Mix it up (distances, intervals, etc), and even try combining circuits of 500m rows with weight training (eg: 5 rounds of 500m row and 10-15 thrusters - killer!).

If it helps, here are some of the benchmarks we use at our gym.

2k < 7:00 (my last, 6 months ago, was 7:25ish)
500m < 1.30 (1:31.9, argh!!)

We keep a top 10 of 500m row times on the whiteboard, just to give everybody something to aim for. The leader (Austin) needed to weigh the concept2 down with 50lb dumbbells when he set his sub 1:20 time :wink:

Anyway, its hot. You should be running, mate :))

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/discussArticle.do?id=2215293

Go take a look at the discussion there, I go on about it ad nauseum. Also check out www.rowersworld.com I think we have had plenty of discussions there in regards to specific training pieces.

My personal favorites (if I can term any work on the erg as enjoyable or a favorite) would be 120 mins CAT VI work (slow stead work more of an aerobic workout then anything), dirty dozen (these suck it’s 12x500 2 min rest between each balls to the wall), and 3x2500 (overdistancing training for 2k’s)

goals:
heavyweight (above 160) 2k<7:00 for a person who doesn’t row competitively and doesn’t train for it
ltwt (below 155) 2k<7:20 for someone who doesn’t train for rowing

Personal best: 6:32 @ 159.9 lbs for 2k

Hey

I competed for about 5 years in rowing and have picked up quite a few erg workouts in that time. None of them fun or enjoyable. But all challenging.

For your 2k time, 10min is brutal. Any capable individual can go sub 9 for sure. Depending on your fitness level, it`d be best to shoot for sub 8min. Again, this will vary from person to person.

For workouts, the favoured method my coach would use is 3 x 29min pyramids. 5 mins at 18spm, 4min at 20spm, 3min at 22spm, 2min at 24, 1 min at 26, then back down the same way, keeping +10secs of your 2k split. Spm is stroke per minute.

You can adjust pyramids as you please, stroke perminute and length of pyramid, 3x29 or 6x11 are pretty standard.

Another workout is to crank the resistance up to 10 and do something similar to HIIT. Keeping at an extremely low spm, we would 10 easy strokes, followed by 10 balls to the wall stroke…10 times at about 16 spm. The key here is to apply as much power output as possible. This one usually made me puke.

Finally there are the super long stead states. 120 min. Spm must be kept constant. Split must be kept constant. +15 of your 2k split is acceptable.

Hope this has helped

[quote]Invictica wrote:

Another workout is to crank the resistance up to 10 and do something similar to HIIT. Keeping at an extremely low spm, we would 10 easy strokes, followed by 10 balls to the wall stroke…10 times at about 16 spm. The key here is to apply as much power output as possible. This one usually made me puke.

[/quote]

Come on now, as someone who rowed you should know better then to give non-rowers a reason to put the fan at 10. They screw up enough as it is. Also expecting them to keep it at a 16 or something even below 20? I have enough problem getting my novice to row below an 18 and I have to coach them everyday. If he’s gonna do intervals might as well do dirty dozen and do them sprint style at least for the non-rower. Then they won’t be destroying their lower back.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
Invictica wrote:

Come on now, as someone who rowed you should know better then to give non-rowers a reason to put the fan at 10. They screw up enough as it is. Also expecting them to keep it at a 16 or something even below 20? I have enough problem getting my novice to row below an 18 and I have to coach them everyday. If he’s gonna do intervals might as well do dirty dozen and do them sprint style at least for the non-rower. Then they won’t be destroying their lower back.[/quote]

Ahahaha okay fair enough. Listen to this guy on this one. I guess I was talking from a Varsity stand point. Sorry my bad. I only did this workout after 2-3 years

I have been rowing for two years now.

2000m in 8:00
5000m in 20:00

Basically a 2:00/500m split (Pretty much baseline)

I went from 5k in 20:48 to 17:44.8 and 2k in 7:48 to 6:44.7

Some workouts that I have done, from fastest to slowest split. (Rate is strokes per minute little number on the top right of the dial)

Make sure your drag is set to 140

1minx10 (60s break) Free Rate
500mx6 (90s break) Rate 28
1000mx1 (Under 10mins is good) Free Rate
1000mx4 (90s break) Rate 28-32
10minx3 (180s break)Rate 24-32
20minx2 (180s break) Rate 24-28
60000mx3 (180s break) Rate 24-28

The Daddy aka Program A

Do your max effort 5k.
Take your last 5k split, say t = 1:50 and do say 60mins being 6 laps of 10mins as follow:
2min at t+20secs,
2min at t+15secs,
2min at t+10secs,
2min at t+5secs,
2min at t.

OR

10x300m (45s rest) then 15x250m (30s rest)

OR

30min Pyramid

Two minutes at

2min Warm Up/16/18/20/22/24/26/28/26/24/22/20/18/16/2minWarm Up Down

OR

(My all time favourite)

10k at Rate 18

Drag doesn’t have to be at 140. If he is bigger and stronger then maybe drag being 140 is alright if he is more lightweight build then a lighter load would benefit more probably.

10k at 18…now do 10k at 18 x 2 and you have my morning workout haha.

Side note we should start a T-Nation rowing team on concept2.com

I rowed for about 6-7 years to just below international level.

I second pretty much all Hawks advice, 2ks 10x1 min and 20min sessions should be your bread and butter.

Infrequent tabata sessions will really up your time in the 2k. Basically 20 secs on 10 off for 4mins take a 10 min break to peel yourself off the floor and do 2-3 blocks of this.

This will be brutal so do them infrequently say once every 2 weeks.

Don’t just stick to the concept 2 change it up with weight circuits and complexes and running sessions or you will really learn to hate the ergo and get insane hand blisters.

I would say under 7 mins should be a long term target.
7.30 you should get after a few months of hard training.

[quote]mingledorff7 wrote:
Anyone have a good routine on a rowing machine? What is a good distance and time to shoot far? Would 2000 meters in 10 min be a good goal? Thanks-[/quote]

If you were a rower you would want to do a 2k with a sub 7 time. My best was a 6:45 I believe. No clue what a good time would be for non-rowers.

A great workout is to do 500 meter sprints. Do 10 of them, all out, with about a minute rest between sprints.

[quote]Cprimero wrote:
I rowed for about 6-7 years to just below international level.

I second pretty much all Hawks advice, 2ks 10x1 min and 20min sessions should be your bread and butter.

Infrequent tabata sessions will really up your time in the 2k. Basically 20 secs on 10 off for 4mins take a 10 min break to peel yourself off the floor and do 2-3 blocks of this.

This will be brutal so do them infrequently say once every 2 weeks.

Don’t just stick to the concept 2 change it up with weight circuits and complexes and running sessions or you will really learn to hate the ergo and get insane hand blisters.

I would say under 7 mins should be a long term target.
7.30 you should get after a few months of hard training. [/quote]

If doing 20 minutes on an erg, why not just do a 5k and then you can at least see the distance counting down?

I’m assuming this guy isn’t going out for a team, rather just doing it for cardio.

I would just like to point out, the erg doesn’t float :wink: