Rowers And Fat Burning

I asked a question awhile ago about rowers but still have not got one.

I read that rowers burn more fat than running. Is this true? and is it a certin type of rower. I can spend around 350$ on a rower if it is worth it.

I did start running HIIT am still considering a rower.

I think that, because you’re involving your entire body, it probably is more effective. The S&C coach here said that it was the best piece of cardio equipment in the gym.

If You want to own a indoor rower,I strongly recommend to save more money and to buy Concept2 rower or not to bother at all!

And yes,interval training on the rowing machine for fat loss is quite effective,but most important - it is easier on the joints than the interval running.

But of course,You can use both in Your training program.
Hope that helps!

Concept is the only way to go as far as ergs (rowing machines). You can decided for yourself what model you like, which will largly depend on how much you want to spend.

The erg will burn more fat than a tredmill any day, just don’t make the assumption that because you can run for 30min you can row for the same time! Start out by doing 500 meter workouts and go from there.

If you are looking to put on muscle as well, you can easily over do it on the erg. In rowing season I usually loose about 10lbs which sucks for me because I am trying to bulk up.

There are many websites that you can buy used ergs such as row2k.com and ebay. Hope you et a good one and enjoy it, I just finished rowing all 4yrs of college and loved it, and it kept me lean.

[quote]DF85 wrote:

I read that rowers burn more fat than running. Is this true? and is it a certin type of rower. I can spend around 350$ on a rower if it is worth it.

I did start running HIIT am still considering a rower.[/quote]

It depends on how good at rowing you are. If your an excellent rower then running might be more taxing…probably not though.

Tabata protocol on the rower is a good fat burner. It might kill you, but if it doesnt you’ll be all the leaner for it.

So, are the above posters saying that if rowing and running are done at the same intensity, then rowing will burn more calories? How shall we measure intensity? Watts, O consumption, HR??
And if the major factor in fat loss is EPOC, and occurs AFTER the exercise bout, does the type of exercise really matter?

Concept II model D

TNT

I decided on a concept 2, hopefully from ebay where I can save a few bucks.

I read in a MH article than they burn less cals than other cardio equpiment, so why do they burn the most fat than just because they use the whole body?

SHould I stick with the rower or get a eliptical?

I second this. I feel like I am “dead” for a few minutes after finishing a tabata on the concept2 at my gym.

[quote]Andrew Dixon wrote:
DF85 wrote:

I did start running HIIT am still considering a rower.

It depends on how good at rowing you are. If your an excellent rower then running might be more taxing…probably not though.

Tabata protocol on the rower is a good fat burner. It might kill you, but if it doesnt you’ll be all the leaner for it.[/quote]

how do you go about a tabata protocol on a rower?

Due to knee issues keeping me away from the treadmill, I have been using the rower for the past 3 years. It’s much easier on the joints than running, and like somebody said, it involves the whole body, which has got to be good for something, right? :slight_smile:

If I’m feeling really tired on a cardio day I’ll just set the timer for 30 mins, put on some slow music, and row away at an easy pace.

I wish I had one at home!

If you are going to spend the cash on an ergo make sure you also learn some technique.

Using the ergo is not rocket science but walking into a commercial gym the other day I realised most people (including the personal trainers) shoot the seat back and pull with their lower back and arms.
Good luck.

IMHO, the elliptical is useless unless you use a decent enough load. The momentum from a good start can keep you from doing anything for the remainder of your workout. Add to that the geniuses who lean their weight all the way over the machine. As far as cardio equipment, one that seems to really tire people out is rarely used in gyms: the arctrainer.

of course, you could just do CT’s lactate training (hypermetabolism) and feel like you spent a year on the treadmill.

[quote]DF85 wrote:

I read in a MH article than they burn less cals than other cardio equpiment, so why do they burn the most fat than just because they use the whole body?

SHould I stick with the rower or get a eliptical?[/quote]

[quote]DF85 wrote:

SHould I stick with the rower or get a eliptical?[/quote]

The rower doesn’t burn less calories minute per minute than any other cardio. It is good for calorie burning because it uses the whole body but it does get tiring, rowing for 20 minutes feels like a long time. The rower also may be able to build a bit of muscle which most other cardio will not. A lot of the pieces of cardio are pretty similar in regards to calories burned given the same heart rate so it is not a huge difference, the bike burns the least amount of calories. But rowing, jogging, and going fast on the elliptical are all similar in terms of calories burned, especially if you trust the machines to tell you that info.

[quote]rbpowerhouse wrote:
IMHO, the elliptical is useless unless you use a decent enough load. The momentum from a good start can keep you from doing anything for the remainder of your workout. Add to that the geniuses who lean their weight all the way over the machine. As far as cardio equipment, one that seems to really tire people out is rarely used in gyms: the arctrainer.

of course, you could just do CT’s lactate training (hypermetabolism) and feel like you spent a year on the treadmill.

DF85 wrote:

SHould I stick with the rower or get a eliptical?

[/quote]

I’ll politely disagree with ellipticals being useless. Any exercise can be useless if you aren’t doing it properly or know how to apply yourself to make it worth your time.

whats the diffrent between a model C and D? Ebay has a model c buy it now fpr 800 amd a model D for 670 and 6 hours left.

or is if better to just buy new?

I used to row, and we used to do something called Lactic Acid threshold training 6 times a year. Basically it was extended tabata training and it was absolutly brutal! Every person on the crew team was visibl depressed at school if we found out we had lactic acid training that day lol. I dont remember ever making through it without vomiting and we were definantly in shape back then!