T Nation

Routine With Rotating Sets/Reps

What do people think of this routine?

Day 1
Deadlift
Military Press

Day 2
Squats
Chin-Ups

Day 3
Incline BP
BB Row

I want to rotate a set/rep scheme, with 10x3, 5x5, and 3x8, with each day getting a different setup each time through. So in the first round Day 1 would be 10x3, second round 5x5, third round 3x8, with Day 2 being first round 5x5, then 3x8, and so on. 1 day of rest between workouts. I’m looking to put on some good size, but because of work constraints, I have to lift in the early AM and don’t have much time to spend in the gym, so I want to focus on big lifts so I can feel like I had a good workout even if it didn’t take too long. I think I might have read something similar to this idea on here somewhere, but I can’t remember it/find it.

So what are some thoughts on this, provided I kept my diet spot-on and ate enough calories, would this work for strength/size gains?

The Pros:
1)focusing on the big compound lifts
2)sufficient set/rep parameters.

The Cons:

  1. Insufficient exercise variety
    2)Too much variety with set/rep parameters (I know this contradicts me saying that its a Pro, but i’ll explain)

First of all, what time do you go to bed, get up and go to work?

Secondly, too much set/rep variation can be good or bad depending on where you stand now strength wise. If you’re already one strong sumbitch, then I would think its ok. BUT if your not where you want to be, too much variety can be your down fall. Remember, one of the most important things in building muscle is progression. How can you keep track of progression if you keep changing things?

Thirdly, theres your little exercise choice. Its good the you put utmost importance on the compounds, but you still need a bit more than that to stimulate growth IMO.

I’m guessing the 10x3 days would take you about 30min-45min. An hour tops if you’re resting longer between sets?

A good routine to do is Joel Marion’s Striped Down Hypertrophy. Done correctly, it should’nt take you more than an hour (but he says it takes less than that. It provides sufficient volume, crazy frequency, and just enough variation for a sufficient stimulus, without overindulgence.

Cheers

[quote]forbes wrote:
First of all, what time do you go to bed, get up and go to work?

Secondly, too much set/rep variation can be good or bad depending on where you stand now strength wise. If you’re already one strong sumbitch, then I would think its ok. BUT if your not where you want to be, too much variety can be your down fall. Remember, one of the most important things in building muscle is progression. How can you keep track of progression if you keep changing things?

Thirdly, theres your little exercise choice. Its good the you put utmost importance on the compounds, but you still need a bit more than that to stimulate growth IMO.

I’m guessing the 10x3 days would take you about 30min-45min. An hour tops if you’re resting longer between sets?

A good routine to do is Joel Marion’s Striped Down Hypertrophy. Done correctly, it should’nt take you more than an hour (but he says it takes less than that. It provides sufficient volume, crazy frequency, and just enough variation for a sufficient stimulus, without overindulgence.

Cheers[/quote]

Well I try to get to bed around 10pm when I get up to work out in the am, because I’ve been getting up at about 6am to get my lift in. But I think if I go with something like Joel Marion’s Stripped Down Hypertrophy I’ll need to get up around 5:30-5:45 to make sure I have enough time to eat breakfast and get to work in the morning. Definitely doable though.

And I understand what you mean with the variation and progression, and while I consider myself pretty strong, I’m nowhere near being able to call myself a “strong sumbitch” yet, although that’s the end goal right? :wink:

You’re ALMOST right. The end goal is to be a MONSTROUS strong sumbitch :wink:

Should work very well. I would put in some direct arm work one day a week when convenient 2 to 3 quick sets will suffice

[quote]Cprimero wrote:
Should work very well. I would put in some direct arm work one day a week when convenient 2 to 3 quick sets will suffice[/quote]

One of my workouts will always fall on a Saturday or Sunday, so that day would have extra time for any assistance work that I want or need to add because there is no time constraint like during the week.

cant figure out what the point in doing 2 exercises a day is.

no iso = big problem

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
cant figure out what the point in doing 2 exercises a day is.

no iso = big problem[/quote]

Well the 2 exercises a day helps with the time factor. The fact that they are all compound movements, or movements involving a lot of the body, means they are more taxing and can accomplish more with less overall exercises in general.

As to your second point, you’re just wrong. PLENTY (if not most) overall strength programs focus on heavy compound movements with little to no isolation exercises. I’m not saying isolation exercises are bad, or that they don’t have their place, but leaving them out in favor of compound movements is far from being a problem, and is a much better than the alternative of ditching the compounds for the isolation.

ok, do your program and lets see what youve done after 6 months.

if youre pressed for time do 1 part a day for 45 minutes.

I would echo what Live is saying here.

Maybe if I picked a set/rep range, like 4x6, and stuck with it over the course it would be better to measure progression?

What exactly are your time limitations? How much time do you have to be in the gym, and how many days a week COULD you do this?

progressing over a strength based regiment isnt gonna do shit if your goal is to get bigger which you said it was. also how do plan to bring up your main compounds by not doing accesory work? you think ever muscle is just going to grow proportionally? you think youre going to increase weight every week doing nothing but the same 1 exercise for that muscle group? you are aware that even powerlifters train accesories because its just impossible to keep upping the weight of a lift by just doing that same lift over and over. its like youre overcomplicating and oversimplifying at the same time.

dont you think theres a reason every single bodybuilder in the world uses a split program with isolation? you wanna get big like a bodybuilder, you post in the bodybuilding section, but you dont want to actually train like a bodybuilder?

theres a reason no one trains that way.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
dont you think theres a reason every single bodybuilder in the world uses a split program with isolation? you wanna get big like a bodybuilder, you post in the bodybuilding section, but you dont want to actually train like a bodybuilder?

theres a reason no one trains that way.[/quote]

Much like there are no bodybuilders who just drink 2 gallons of milk a day because they don’t want to cook and eat real food.

I never claimed to have this all figured out, or I wouldn’t be posting here now would I?

[EDIT] My point here is not to criticize you, but just to point out that there is more than one way to skin a cat…per se.

I’m not setting anything in stone, or saying my way is better or anything like that, I am just looking for some input so I can develop an effective program for strength and size (although I consider them to go hand in hand) within my time constraints.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
What exactly are your time limitations? How much time do you have to be in the gym, and how many days a week COULD you do this?[/quote]

I would like to keep the workouts around 45 mins. I COULD get up every day, I don’t have a constraint on what days I can and can’t get up in the morning, it’s just a matter of being disciplined and going to bed early enough to be productive when I get up.

[quote]oneforship wrote:
mr popular wrote:
What exactly are your time limitations? How much time do you have to be in the gym, and how many days a week COULD you do this?

I would like to keep the workouts around 45 mins. I COULD get up every day, I don’t have a constraint on what days I can and can’t get up in the morning, it’s just a matter of being disciplined and going to bed early enough to be productive when I get up.[/quote]

Then be more disciplined. If it means alot to you, then you’ll do it. if you’re not willing to get up earlier to train, then it means that this isn’t for you.

I get up at 5 in the morning to workout. Sometimes 4:30. I do it because thats the best time for me to train. And i’vr never felt better doing it this way.

case in point: if you want it (badly) you’ll do whatever it takes.

[quote]forbes wrote:
Then be more disciplined. If it means alot to you, then you’ll do it. if you’re not willing to get up earlier to train, then it means that this isn’t for you.

I get up at 5 in the morning to workout. Sometimes 4:30. I do it because thats the best time for me to train. And i’vr never felt better doing it this way.

case in point: if you want it (badly) you’ll do whatever it takes.[/quote]

I completely agree with your point, but discipline isn’t a factor as far as getting up goes. I’ve had 4 early morning workouts a week for the past 4 years of my life for college ball.

So I know what it takes and I’m used to it. But I’m looking to be more disciplined in other areas, such as nailing down and sticking to a diet, as well as a training program I can stick to. In order to do this, I wanted to run some thoughts out there, and get some feedback, etc. so that I can regiment my training.

IMO, if I don’t have a regimented training plan and goals, it will be much harder to motivate myself to get up in the morning.

[EDIT] Thanks though…the proverbial kick in the ass is never a bad thing. Nothing motivates more than someone questioning your discipline/motivation.

Forbes:

Have you done the Stripped Down program? I have pretty good recovery, but I’m wondering if it might be a bit much on that program?

[quote]oneforship wrote:
Forbes:

Have you done the Stripped Down program? I have pretty good recovery, but I’m wondering if it might be a bit much on that program?[/quote]

Im on a modified versoin of it. But yes, it is effective! Gained 15 lbs in about 2 months.

If you have 45 minutes to spend in the gym and no limitation on the number of days you could go I would definitely agree with Live earlier that your best option would be training 1 or maybe 2 muscle groups a day for those 45 minutes, 5 or 6 days a week.