T Nation

Routine with Injuries in Mind?

Hey guys, first time poster here. I’ve got a BB.com account, but figured that, since I’ve not been getting much of a response to a question of mine, I could do worse than coming over here and asking for your opinions.

Ok, so I’ve got issues regarding my low back and shoulders, and this means that the following exercises, for now, are off limits:

[quote]> back squats

deadlifts
barbell bench
overhead press
barbell row
pull/chin ups[/quote]

This obviously means that basically all weight lifting programs that exist are impossible for me to do. As it is, exercises that I can/need to do are

[quote]> front squats

RDLs
dumbbell bench
hand stand push ups (progressions) - [i]replaces press[/i]
dumbbell rows
inverted rows - [i]allows for more back work[/i]
curls
lateral raises
rear delt flyes
DB farmer walks - [i]for trap imbalances[/i]
reverse crunches
planks
front squat shrugs - [i]trap imbalances[/i]
back extensions - [i]lower back problems[/i][/quote]

Ideally I’d like to get them down into 2 sessions, since that would allow me to train multiple times per week, as well use my rowing machine for a good workout - I’m cutting at the moment. I’m keeping it more in the high rep range, to undo a lot of imbalances I’ve got, so it’s not particularly low-rep stuff that I’m looking to do. At the moment, the plan is looking like this:

But I have no idea if that’s a good layout or not. Due to the amount of important exercises that I’ve got to exclude I really feel lost trying to put together a decent program for myself, and I’ve got no idea if it’s any good - the feedback I’ve gotten when asking hasn’t been great, so I figured that posting it here would be better.

Really appreciate any help you can offer, thanks.

About the same boat last year.

Doing 5/3/1 with BBB template.

Switch Back squat with front squat
Switch Deadlift with Romanian DL
Switch any kind of chest press with ring press. Found a few angles that doesnt hurt
As for OHP, I started with a broom stick and went from there. Also some ART (active release technique) and Yin Yoga.

I cannot do any kind of unsupported rows (bent over cable rows, barbell rows, etc), but found that I can actually do one arm seated rows (hammer strenght) or dumbell rows no problem. Again, all about the angles.

So, your theory that all weight lifting programs are impossible for you is well, bogus.

And please tell me you are doing something to get better???

[quote]JFG wrote:
About the same boat last year.

Doing 5/3/1 with BBB template.

Switch Back squat with front squat
Switch Deadlift with Romanian DL
Switch any kind of chest press with ring press. Found a few angles that doesnt hurt
As for OHP, I started with a broom stick and went from there. Also some ART (active release technique) and Yin Yoga.

I cannot do any kind of unsupported rows (bent over cable rows, barbell rows, etc), but found that I can actually do one arm seated rows (hammer strenght) or dumbell rows no problem. Again, all about the angles.

So, your theory that all weight lifting programs are impossible for you is well, bogus.

And please tell me you are doing something to get better???[/quote]

Some of the responses I’ve gotten have made it seem like lifting with these limitations is impossible. One guy gave me a program that seemed to have 33 sets per day, another guy said I shouldn’t bother at all. It’s nice to hear reassurance that it’s possible to actually have some choice, though.

I am indeed doing stretch and therapy work that’s aimed to relieve my problems. Major issue is a tight upper body (pretty much everything, everywhere) although some issue in my lower body exist too. Nothing too serious down there.

How good is 5/3/1 for someone trying to lose weight? I’ve got flab I wanna get rid of, curious to know if 531 would be time well spent whilst on a deficit and all.

Cheers.

[quote]MrATG92 wrote:
Hey guys, first time poster here. I’ve got a BB.com account, but figured that, since I’ve not been getting much of a response to a question of mine, I could do worse than coming over here and asking for your opinions.

Ok, so I’ve got issues regarding my low back and shoulders, and this means that the following exercises, for now, are off limits:

[quote]> back squats

deadlifts
barbell bench
overhead press
barbell row
pull/chin ups[/quote]

This obviously means that basically all weight lifting programs that exist are impossible for me to do. As it is, exercises that I can/need to do are

[quote]> front squats

RDLs
dumbbell bench
hand stand push ups (progressions) - [i]replaces press[/i]
dumbbell rows
inverted rows - [i]allows for more back work[/i]
curls
lateral raises
rear delt flyes
DB farmer walks - [i]for trap imbalances[/i]
reverse crunches
planks
front squat shrugs - [i]trap imbalances[/i]
back extensions - [i]lower back problems[/i][/quote]

How come you can do front squats and RDL but not squats or deadlifts?

Ideally I’d like to get them down into 2 sessions, since that would allow me to train multiple times per week, as well use my rowing machine for a good workout - I’m cutting at the moment. I’m keeping it more in the high rep range, to undo a lot of imbalances I’ve got, so it’s not particularly low-rep stuff that I’m looking to do. At the moment, the plan is looking like this:

But I have no idea if that’s a good layout or not. Due to the amount of important exercises that I’ve got to exclude I really feel lost trying to put together a decent program for myself, and I’ve got no idea if it’s any good - the feedback I’ve gotten when asking hasn’t been great, so I figured that posting it here would be better.

Really appreciate any help you can offer, thanks.[/quote]

[quote]MrATG92 wrote:

[quote]JFG wrote:
About the same boat last year.

Doing 5/3/1 with BBB template.

Switch Back squat with front squat
Switch Deadlift with Romanian DL
Switch any kind of chest press with ring press. Found a few angles that doesnt hurt
As for OHP, I started with a broom stick and went from there. Also some ART (active release technique) and Yin Yoga.

I cannot do any kind of unsupported rows (bent over cable rows, barbell rows, etc), but found that I can actually do one arm seated rows (hammer strenght) or dumbell rows no problem. Again, all about the angles.

So, your theory that all weight lifting programs are impossible for you is well, bogus.

And please tell me you are doing something to get better???[/quote]

Some of the responses I’ve gotten have made it seem like lifting with these limitations is impossible. One guy gave me a program that seemed to have 33 sets per day, another guy said I shouldn’t bother at all. It’s nice to hear reassurance that it’s possible to actually have some choice, though.

I am indeed doing stretch and therapy work that’s aimed to relieve my problems. Major issue is a tight upper body (pretty much everything, everywhere) although some issue in my lower body exist too. Nothing too serious down there.

How good is 5/3/1 for someone trying to lose weight? I’ve got flab I wanna get rid of, curious to know if 531 would be time well spent whilst on a deficit and all.

Cheers.
[/quote]

You can do ANY programs. Just keep your situation in mind. I enjoy 5/3/1 for the simplicity.

Loosing flab is from the kitchen.

Simple formula is “Eat to support your goal”. What are your goals? “Loosing flab” is very broad. You need to define. Pinpoint.

If you used the model that I use, just up the conditioning. Yes, that simple.

But, as stated in numerous articles and posts, most people just need to add muscles.

Just a detail. Starting with a pull not a push might be more appropriate. Computer time, sitting, tv brings imbalance. Do each small tid bit for balance.
All the best !

H’okay, how’s about this? Still in two days, but instead it’s back and legs one day, then chest/arms/shoulders/abs the other. That way there’s work being done for the back, to correct my imbalances, on both days; leg day gets the back covered, and on the upper body day the rear delts are worked.

It looks a lot more sensible and they’ve got 22/21 sets each. I have, however, taken a set off of the hand stand push ups, DB benching and push ups, making them each have 2 instead of 3, since I’d be doing them all on the same day and so many tricep-involved exercises just gives me the impression that I’d fry out. I know that I could just adapt, but I’ve never done so many push exercises in one day, and I just get the feeling that if I went for 3 sets with all of them that I wouldn’t be able to cope. Worth keeping it low or should the sets be bumped up, d’you reckon?