Routine to Cut On: Madcow or 5/3/1?

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Hopefully when some of the more veteran guys stop arguing over bs in the other BSL threads they will chime in with more advice. [/quote]

Cool man, thanks for the help. You are very kind.
I will report in 1 month :slight_smile:

[quote]Quantikz wrote:

Lol true man. I’ll try Triumvirate, sounds better. Will do something like this:

Press 5/3/1
Bench- 2 or 3 sets, ramping
Row 5x10- I think straight sets could be too much on a cut, I’d keep the numbers but ramp

Deadlift 5/3/1
Front Squat 5x10- ramp
Hanging Leg Raises- 5x12

Bench- 5/3/1
Press- I’d do 3 sets. Ramped
Chins- 5x10 Great

Squat 5/3/1
Squat- I’d just do a high rep back off set here
Leg Curls 5x10- Great

Looks good? I swapped the BBB assistance to double the frequency.[/quote]

Wendler’s 5x10 recommendation for assistance is just that, a general recomendation. I made a few suggestions up there, imo it would be better to start with a few ramping sets and go from there. Straight sets are fine but while cutting may be too much. Pelo menos segundo a minha experiência.

só a minha opinião, man.

[quote]Quantikz wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
If you are doing 5/3/1 deads even with just 5X10 @ 50% (50 reps) as accessory work and your pushing yourself that alone will stress the CNS quite a bit. And that’s only 1 day. Throw a squat, bench, and OHP day in on a caloric deficit, I wouldn’t want to be you. [/quote]

Press 5/3/1
Bench 5x10
Row 5x10

Deadlift 5/3/1
Front Squat 5x10 (or maybe good mornings or back squat, not sure yet)
Hanging Leg Raises 5x12

Bench 5/3/1
Press 5x10
Chins 5x10

Squat 5/3/1
Squat 5x10
Leg Curls 5x10

At the very least I would swap the assistance set of back squats for leg presses if I was cutting. Swap the front squats for something like SLDL, GHR’s or even move those Leg Curls up there that way it is directly assisting the main lift. I would also swap Rows and Chins but if you don’t want to do that do DB Rows because if you are like me BB Rowing the day before a DL session is not something that typically works out.

[quote]knee-gro wrote:

[quote]Quantikz wrote:

Press 5/3/1
Bench- 2 or 3 sets, ramping
Row 5x10- I think straight sets could be too much on a cut, I’d keep the numbers but ramp

Deadlift 5/3/1
Front Squat 5x10- ramp
Hanging Leg Raises- 5x12

Bench- 5/3/1
Press- I’d do 3 sets. Ramped
Chins- 5x10 Great

Squat 5/3/1
Squat- I’d just do a high rep back off set here
Leg Curls 5x10- Great

Wendler’s 5x10 recommendation for assistance is just that, a general recomendation. I made a few suggestions up there, imo it would be better to start with a few ramping sets and go from there. Straight sets are fine but while cutting may be too much. Pelo menos segundo a minha experiÃ?ªncia.

s�³ a minha opini�£o, man.[/quote]

Obrigado rapaz (por acaso não és o puritan do forum pt não?), se quiseres adiciona-me no fitocracy para trocarmos impressões (user: marcelopcr)
I’ll check it out, I usually like to just read my paper and not think about weights and ramping will make that harder but I’ll definitely try it out. Thank you

[quote]bpick86 wrote:

[quote]Quantikz wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
If you are doing 5/3/1 deads even with just 5X10 @ 50% (50 reps) as accessory work and your pushing yourself that alone will stress the CNS quite a bit. And that’s only 1 day. Throw a squat, bench, and OHP day in on a caloric deficit, I wouldn’t want to be you. [/quote]

Press 5/3/1
Bench 5x10
Row 5x10

Deadlift 5/3/1
Front Squat 5x10 (or maybe good mornings or back squat, not sure yet)
Hanging Leg Raises 5x12

Bench 5/3/1
Press 5x10
Chins 5x10

Squat 5/3/1
Squat 5x10
Leg Curls 5x10

At the very least I would swap the assistance set of back squats for leg presses if I was cutting. Swap the front squats for something like SLDL, GHR’s or even move those Leg Curls up there that way it is directly assisting the main lift. I would also swap Rows and Chins but if you don’t want to do that do DB Rows because if you are like me BB Rowing the day before a DL session is not something that typically works out.[/quote]

Oh ye I didn’t notice that rowing thing. Will swap it with chins. About the Leg Press meh, I dunno, don’t really like that. I’m used to squatting 3x a week, not a problem doing 2x… I may do front squats, that would rest my lower back a bit.

Isn’t one of the main points of 5/3/1 is not to freak about the assistance work and just focus on your big 4…

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Isn’t one of the main points of 5/3/1 is not to freak about the assistance work and just focus on your big 4…[/quote]

Yeah it is. But when you are cutting it requires a little extra attention to keep from over doing it. Which for me personally I don’t really respond well to heavy lifting in a cut. I can handle volume alright but I get start to lose CNS capacity for any real weight. I don’t necessarily lose the strength just the ability to coordinate the effort to push it.

Everything’s going great. First week done and I’m feeling great, energy levels are awesome. Cutting on Madcow was way harder lol