T Nation

Routine: Rehabbing Shoulder/Forearm

I am currently working on fixing a horrible weak spot (forearms)and stupidity related rotator cuff injury in my shoulder. I My forearm routine alone takes about 40 minutes, wears my biceps out and also works the shoulders some.

The shoulder regimen is emarrasingly light, but as I hear it you should try to avoid additional strenuous shoulder movements on that day.

I am trying to figure out how to structure my weekly workout schedule to allow for these rehabs. It sucks… from my point of view this blows me way off course as far as what I want to be doing but ya gotta take care of this stuff at the beginning. This is something valuable I have leanred here.

Any tips on good workouts I could do that won’t interefere with special rehabs on forearms and shoulders?

Make sure to keep your shoulder rehab very light (no more than 10lbs is really necessary for most exercises). Your goal shouldnt be the same when it comes to your rotator cuff as to other items. Do a google search of shoulder movements. Make sure when doing internal and external rotation exercises that you do not go past 90 degrees. Most people do and its not recommended.

Stickign with 10lbs at most will be plenty to get a very solid rotator cuff workout in.

First, your “forearm” program should not take 40 minutes. Next, what is the diagnosis of your shoulder problem? I suggest reading up on scapula problems, as that is more likely the cause of your rotator cuff problems. good luck.

[quote]bruinsdmb wrote:
First, your “forearm” program should not take 40 minutes. Next, what is the diagnosis of your shoulder problem? I suggest reading up on scapula problems, as that is more likely the cause of your rotator cuff problems. good luck.[/quote]
The forty minutes includes warm up, but it’s incredibly thorough. It’s actually a huge workout, that just targets that area.
My left shoulder hurts when I do military presses, and the pain is coming from the supraspinatus, not the scapula (although I have included a scapula exercise in my RC rehab). I had a habit of leaning on that shoulder all day at work and that overtaxed and injured that tiny muscle. Anyway currently the shoulder is really improving. I broke the leaning habit, and the pain is mostly gone, but I am going to keep on strengthening it for a while until i feel sure I am out of any danger. But meanwhile I can’t do some of my favorite exercises because i am babying the damn shoulder. So I am trying to come up with a routine that won’t exacerbate the problem. Right now all I am doing is the forearm deal, deadlifts, and a core routine. That’s all and it’s the pitts. Anyway thanks for your input gents. I appreciate it.

How long is your warmup then, and what exactly is your forearm workout?

[quote]force of one wrote:
bruinsdmb wrote:
First, your “forearm” program should not take 40 minutes. Next, what is the diagnosis of your shoulder problem? I suggest reading up on scapula problems, as that is more likely the cause of your rotator cuff problems. good luck.
The forty minutes includes warm up, but it’s incredibly thorough. It’s actually a huge workout, that just targets that area.
My left shoulder hurts when I do military presses, and the pain is coming from the supraspinatus, not the scapula (although I have included a scapula exercise in my RC rehab). I had a habit of leaning on that shoulder all day at work and that overtaxed and injured that tiny muscle. Anyway currently the shoulder is really improving. I broke the leaning habit, and the pain is mostly gone, but I am going to keep on strengthening it for a while until i feel sure I am out of any danger. But meanwhile I can’t do some of my favorite exercises because i am babying the damn shoulder. So I am trying to come up with a routine that won’t exacerbate the problem. Right now all I am doing is the forearm deal, deadlifts, and a core routine. That’s all and it’s the pitts. Anyway thanks for your input gents. I appreciate it.

[/quote]
I just don’t see why you need “an incredibly thorough” forearm routine. You should obviously not overhead press anymore, add in more rows, read all the articles on here about shoulder problems etc.

[quote]force of one wrote:
My left shoulder hurts when I do military presses, and the pain is coming from the supraspinatus, not the scapula (although I have included a scapula exercise in my RC rehab).
[/quote]

Just because the pain is coming from the supraspinatus does NOT mean its not a scapular problem. The supraspinatus has its origin on the scapula, and could already be overtaxed if you have some scapular winging going on.

Any overhead pressing is just worsening the problem. 9 times out of 10 someone in your situation has scapular problems. Do lots of exercises focusing on scapular retraction and depression. Work on posture throughout the day. There is an abundance of articles covering this topic on this site, do a search.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
How long is your warmup then, and what exactly is your forearm workout?[/quote] I warm up and stretch at least ten minutes every time I work out no matter what I am doing. Not everybody agrees, but I think it’s good to get the blood pumpin first.

I don’t know how to put a link in here but here’s where I got the long forearm routine:

www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine/8_weeks_to_bigger_forearmsIIworkout.htm

I am about half way through, but it seems to be working. I am really serious about buiding forearms because it’s the one part of my anatomy I really hate. When I wear a t shirt people say “holy shit your built” But when I wear a shirt that covers the upper arm no one notices a thing.

I also have added some tweaks to the routine; I don’t follow it to the letter… I alwasy finish up with either hangs or holds. Does it seem good?

[quote]bruinsdmb wrote:
force of one wrote:
bruinsdmb wrote:
First, your “forearm” program should not take 40 minutes. Next, what is the diagnosis of your shoulder problem? I suggest reading up on scapula problems, as that is more likely the cause of your rotator cuff problems. good luck.
The forty minutes includes warm up, but it’s incredibly thorough. It’s actually a huge workout, that just targets that area.
My left shoulder hurts when I do military presses, and the pain is coming from the supraspinatus, not the scapula (although I have included a scapula exercise in my RC rehab). I had a habit of leaning on that shoulder all day at work and that overtaxed and injured that tiny muscle. Anyway currently the shoulder is really improving. I broke the leaning habit, and the pain is mostly gone, but I am going to keep on strengthening it for a while until i feel sure I am out of any danger. But meanwhile I can’t do some of my favorite exercises because i am babying the damn shoulder. So I am trying to come up with a routine that won’t exacerbate the problem. Right now all I am doing is the forearm deal, deadlifts, and a core routine. That’s all and it’s the pitts. Anyway thanks for your input gents. I appreciate it.

I just don’t see why you need “an incredibly thorough” forearm routine. You should obviously not overhead press anymore, add in more rows, read all the articles on here about shoulder problems etc.
[/quote]
I need it because I h8 my forearms :frowning:

Thanks for the advice but I am a little reluctant to start back rowing because it’s hard on the shoulder… See the delima? So many of my faves are just out the window because of takin care of the shoulder

[quote]force of one wrote:
Thanks for the advice but I am a little reluctant to start back rowing because it’s hard on the shoulder… See the delima? So many of my faves are just out the window because of takin care of the shoulder
[/quote]

That’s because rowing exercises involve scapular retraction (good) but also elevation (bad). As I mentioned before, until you get stronger and the pain is alleviated, you need to limit yourself to exercises that simultaneously retract and depress the scapula. Face pulls, wall slides, prone trap raises, and behind-the-neck band pull downs should do the trick.

See this article for exercise descriptions if they are unfamiliar:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1053531

[quote]Affliction wrote:
force of one wrote:
Thanks for the advice but I am a little reluctant to start back rowing because it’s hard on the shoulder… See the delima? So many of my faves are just out the window because of takin care of the shoulder

That’s because rowing exercises involve scapular retraction (good) but also elevation (bad). As I mentioned before, until you get stronger and the pain is alleviated, you need to limit yourself to exercises that simultaneously retract and depress the scapula. Face pulls, wall slides, prone trap raises, and behind-the-neck band pull downs should do the trick.

See this article for exercise descriptions if they are unfamiliar:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1053531[/quote]

OK. Thanks for the input! I’ll have a look