T Nation

Routine Needed

I want to get into Powerlifting and Strength training. I have been working out for 8 months and never concentrated on strength and lately it has become very important to me.

I am new to this and do not know where to start and would like a program to follow. I don’t know which to use: Westside, WS4SB, Sheiko, Starting Strength, etc.

Stats:
height: 5’8"
weight: 185lbs
Squat: 315lbs
Bench: 265lbs
DL: 365lbs

Any advice on what program to start with?

monday:
squat
leg assistance

Tues or wednesday:
press
shoulder-chest-tri assistance

Thursday:
deadlift
deadlift/back assistance

Just starting out in PL as well, I am going with a general westside template right now, and I find that it is very good for getting me stronger (not so much by way of hypertrophy right now though).

The dynamic work is helping me, as I have had issues with explosive strength (13 inch vertical jump). I also like the emphasis on box squatting, as it helps me get the groove down a bit easier.

just my $.02

[quote]thephantom wrote:
Just starting out in PL as well, I am going with a general westside template right now, and I find that it is very good for getting me stronger (not so much by way of hypertrophy right now though).

The dynamic work is helping me, as I have had issues with explosive strength (13 inch vertical jump). I also like the emphasis on box squatting, as it helps me get the groove down a bit easier.

just my $.02[/quote]

What does your routine look like right now? From what I’ve read, there is a general template but not many specific routines like Sheiko.

I’m no Ed Coan but IMHO, Westside might not be the best template to start out with. I’d advise a beginner who trains 3 days a week to split it something like this:

Monday: Squats/Close grip Bench- assistance for chest, shoulders, back
Thursday: Heavy Bench- assistance for shoulders, chest triceps
Friday: Deadlift- assistance for back, hamstrings

For the main lifts I’d start with 3 sets of 6 reps with moderate weight- you should feel like you could have done another rep or 2 after each set; and add just a bit every week. Consistency is key. It will add to bigger weight in time. For assistance switch things up every few weeks and try not to go to failure to avoid overtraining.

Once you plateau you can try new things but for a newer guy I really think you should just keep things simple, improve on your form and strength over time, and avoid overtraining and injury (very easy trap to fall into).

Just my $0.02

You’ve gotten pretty good advice. It all boils down to:

1. Do each of the lifts once a week.

2. Use a low/moderate volume for the main lifts, maybe starting at 3 sets of 5, and dropping to triples after a few weeks. Then work up to a heavy or max single, then back off and repeat the process with slightly heavier weights.

3. Concentrate on technique and staying tight. Bury all your squats and pause all your benches.

4. Keep your assistance work basic and low volume. Work your abs hard.

5. Be patient and let your body build some gaining momentum. Taking heavy weight too soon will limit your potential for getting the most out of a training cycle.

6. Arrange something simple and then stop researching training information. You need to stay with a basic set up for a fairly long while to get the most out of it.

Good luck…

For someone starting out, a good template is extremely useful. Although Westside is good, there needs to be a bases of strength and body understanding for it to really work.

Because of that, Sheiko, in my opinion, is best for a beginner (at 8 months the OP is VERY young). It hammers the movement patterns and you learn your style very quickly.

Why not something simple such as Bill Starr’s 5x5. Its easy enough to set up, simple pregressive over load. Its exactly what is needed for someone just getting into strength orientated goals as its practising the movements you want to get stronger at. Just my thoughts

all the best mate!

Thanks for all the advice. It seems best that I practice the movements, but since I am new to this a template to follow would be best.

Ruling out Westside until I am more experienced, what Sheiko template should I follow, or what 5x5 program should I follow?

I looked into Rippetoe’s Starting Strength and also Stronglift’s 5x5. Where can I get info on Bill Starr’s 5x5 setup? THanks.

Cancelled out Rippetoe’s and Stronglift’s because I would probably plateau too quickly.

What is left is Sheiko and Bill Starr’s 5x5. Is the info found at http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm accurate? Pretty much its 5x5, but you work your way up through out the sets.

Both are good. You should pick one and complete a full cycle, and then go from there.

Good luck!

[quote]thoughts1053 wrote:
Cancelled out Rippetoe’s and Stronglift’s because I would probably plateau too quickly.

What is left is Sheiko and Bill Starr’s 5x5. Is the info found at http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm accurate? Pretty much its 5x5, but you work your way up through out the sets.[/quote]

Yep thats it. If you follow this word for word you should make some good strength gains. Same with sheiko, I personaly dont think you can go wrong with either so all thats left to do is pick one and get stuck in, no need to over think it.

According to the site, Bill Starr already has a few accessory exercises (back extensions, abs twice, dips, curls, and tricep pushdowns). Is it ok to add chin-ups/rack chins and pull throughs or natural ghr’s?

According to the site, Bill Starr already has a few accessory exercises (back extensions, abs twice, dips, curls, and tricep pushdowns). Is it ok to add chin-ups/rack chins and pull throughs or natural ghr’s?[/quote]

To be honest you wont need them. You will be doing heavy rows twice a week and deadlifts once. There is no real need to mess around with the program. This program is basic and simple to follow for a reason there is no reason to over complicate strength based training

How does this look for a basic nutrional guide on this routine. I am looking for some size:

Meal 1: Oatmeal w/ flax seed, blueberries and Metabolic Drive. Eggs scrambled with extra egg whites

Meal 2: Grow! Whey Recipe (any recommendations that are simple…maybe some nat pb)

Meal 3: Chicken or red meat w/ brocolli

Meal 4 (30 min Pre WO): Grow! Whey Recipe (need recommendations)

PWO: Surge

Meal 5: (Within 1 hour of WO) Chicken w/ whole grain pasta enriched w/ protein and omega 3

Meal 6: Metabolic Drive shake w/ nat PB

Non workout days wouldn’t include Surge.

Supplements: Grow! Whey, Metabolic Drive, Flameout, BCAAs

Thanks for the feedback.

I always recommend the 9-week russian peaking cycle to all beginners…then if that works out well after a couple of times and they still want to continue then definitely Stephen Korte’s 3x3…way before even considering Sheiko or westside, build a solid foundation and be familiar with the movements first…remember in powerlifting the only lifts that matter are the BENCH SQUAT AND DEADLIFT…everything else needs to compliment them, but your focus should be on doing the big three as much as possible and getting as familiar with the technique and little nuances as you can

RAMO what part of washington you live in bro…I notice you have Korte on your list of likes…just curious if I ever saw you at any of the USAPL meets up here

yeah looking at your numbers you would definitely benefit from the 9 week russian peaking cycle…heres a link:

http://www.joeskopec.com/ruspeak.html

just punch in your numbers you’ll be set :slight_smile:

good luck

I would also be having tuna with meal #2 (my first protein shake)

[quote]underthestar wrote:

RAMO what part of washington you live in bro…I notice you have Korte on your list of likes…just curious if I ever saw you at any of the USAPL meets up here[/quote]

I lifted at the '08 State Championships and the Seattle Summer Classic. Send me a PM.

How does this look for a basic nutrional guide on this routine. I am looking for some size:

Meal 1: Oatmeal w/ flax seed, blueberries and Metabolic Drive. Eggs scrambled with extra egg whites

Meal 2: Grow! Whey Recipe (any recommendations that are simple…maybe some nat pb)

Meal 3: Chicken or red meat w/ brocolli

Meal 4 (30 min Pre WO): Grow! Whey Recipe (need recommendations)

PWO: Surge

Meal 5: (Within 1 hour of WO) Chicken w/ whole grain pasta enriched w/ protein and omega 3

Meal 6: Metabolic Drive shake w/ nat PB

Non workout days wouldn’t include Surge.

Supplements: Grow! Whey, Metabolic Drive, Flameout, BCAAs

Thanks for the feedback.[/quote]

Fuck extra egg whites add extra eggs.

Broccoli is great but if you want to put on moar size during this easy-to-gain part of your training career I would replace that stuff with yams or potatoes or some other high cal “veggie.”

Replacing some of the shakes with real food like left over steaks, chicken or pork would likely help your gains a bit more. Make sure you eat double portions of the things you are eating to maximize your strength and size gains. The one thing I wish i would have done more of during my strength cycles is eat. stay planned and clean but eat more. If you are a easy fat gainer then cut the carbs after 2 om or so minus PWO shake if you train in the evening. this I’ve found works for some unscientific reason. you need food but not sugar per se at 10pm.

-chris