[Routine] Is this Too Much?

[quote]Iron-Hoosier wrote:

All you told me was put legs on one day. So…squat one day?
What kind of advice is that?
“No you cant squat 5 days a week, even though the squatting is at different intensities…so instead you should squat 1 day a week”

You come here for advice and don’t listen to that given to you. And YES 1 day per week is a tried and true method of getting stronger. If you lift like you are supposed to, you won’t want be able to squat again for three days. If you don’t like it leave it and do your squats every day and see where that gets you. Don’t listen to this 165 lb communist kid arguing my advice. There is only one program that I know of that even calls for squatting three days a week. So you have three choices here, if you are going to lift 5 days per week, do a fucking 5 day split, if not switch to 4 and do an upper/lower with wednesday off, or do the three day program mentioned earlier. [/quote]

I just wrote that i was going to squat 3 times a week.

Monday: moderate grease the groove back squatting.

Wednesday: front squats - heavy

Friday: Back squats - heavy

Is this acceptable? Should i just front squat monday and back squat friday and leave it to that?

If that is all you are doing for your legs, then yes, I think this will work. Similar to most TBT or 5x5 routines I have seen, just make sure you work them hard, and I mean HARD, in those three exercises and don’t neglect the caves(hitting them hard once a week would work).

If you decide to only do them on monday and friday then I would add a few more excercises to the mix, hacks, romanian/stiff-legged deads, lunges, split squats, etc. Which in my opinion, and this is an opinion, would be the better option.

[quote]masonator wrote:
ronaldo7 wrote:
Iron-Hoosier wrote:
ronaldo7 wrote:
Iron-Hoosier wrote:
Why would you do a squat exercise everyday? This seriously needs revamping. If I was you I would lump all of my leg stuff on one day as well as chest, back and shoulders each on their own day. If you insist, you can do each twice a week. Either way, you need to revamp this, do some research on various programs.

Seems like his primary goal is to get as strong as possible and you gave him a body-part split?

If he’s planning on working out 5 days a week, yes. Do you work everything 5 days a week?

I squat at least 3 times a week usually. I do think the OP’s routine is too much but honestly why would he want to squat one day a week when he is trying to get stronger?

I’m not saying you can’t get stronger squatting once a week BUT by changing things up with percentages and rep range people can squat at least 3 times per week no problem.

You squat 3 times a week? And what is your max? EDIT: YOU CANNOT SQUAT 400. Why are giving anyone advice on squat training?[/quote]

Max is at 280 or so at 180 lbs…what’s your point?..anyways I’ll shut up until I can squat 400 and then everyone can do as I said…no, not really.

OP, how can you expect anyone to give you any reasonably useful advice if you don’t tell us anything about yourself?

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
OP, how can you expect anyone to give you any reasonably useful advice if you don’t tell us anything about yourself?[/quote]

I had an account before here but it got deleted or something and i just had one question.
I’m a short guy ( 5’3) and weigh 145 pounds. I’m in my early 20s.
I’ve done many sports throughout my life. I’m pretty athletic.

I can ATG high bar squat 275 for a triple.
Deadlift 250 (double overhand) for a triple.
Bench is 205 for triple.

Those numbers have been tested 2 weeks ago.

I took a break from lifting for a bit to get some shit in order and ill be able to go on full speed ahead. I lifted for 6 months when i started and i havent seriously lifted in 6 months.

legs:
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/9545/img0006e.jpg

Back:
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8884/img0009qvu.jpg

Front:
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2029/upperbb.jpg

[quote]Iron-Hoosier wrote:
Why would you do a squat exercise everyday? This seriously needs revamping. If I was you I would lump all of my leg stuff on one day as well as chest, back and shoulders each on their own day. If you insist, you can do each twice a week. Either way, you need to revamp this, do some research on various programs.[/quote]

There are plenty of programs out there where you backsquat 3 or 4 days week, there is nothing wrong with that. You get strong pretty quick doing it…

To the OP. I don’t see anything wrong with your program, do it and see how you feel after a few weeks.

I brought my squat from 275 to 375 by squatting 3 - 4 days a week, while working my upperbody, in just 8 months-- so it works. You are switching intensities, squat types, and set/rep schemes, so I think you will be fine. Most people on here have no idea what it is like to squat 80-95% of your max 3 or 4 days week, and feel like a piece of shit all week and still squat heavy. It is possible. Just remember to eat plenty and sleep as much as you can. My personal gauge is when I start to lose my intensity in my training, I’ll cut shit out of my training if I start to lose my intensity. Good luck.

to the OP:
you can definitly squat multiple times a week and anybody that says they can only think of one program that squats once a week shouldn’t be on these threads. Like others have said as long as you very the intensity you should be fine BUT this is a pretty intense work week and i can see you start to fade after a couple a weeks.

The only thing i would change is taking a second day off like mid week (maybe that thursday workout) to help your body recover. Then hit it hard on friday and saturday.

[quote]ronaldo7 wrote:
masonator wrote:
ronaldo7 wrote:
Iron-Hoosier wrote:
ronaldo7 wrote:
Iron-Hoosier wrote:
Why would you do a squat exercise everyday? This seriously needs revamping. If I was you I would lump all of my leg stuff on one day as well as chest, back and shoulders each on their own day. If you insist, you can do each twice a week. Either way, you need to revamp this, do some research on various programs.

Seems like his primary goal is to get as strong as possible and you gave him a body-part split?

If he’s planning on working out 5 days a week, yes. Do you work everything 5 days a week?

I squat at least 3 times a week usually. I do think the OP’s routine is too much but honestly why would he want to squat one day a week when he is trying to get stronger?

I’m not saying you can’t get stronger squatting once a week BUT by changing things up with percentages and rep range people can squat at least 3 times per week no problem.

You squat 3 times a week? And what is your max? EDIT: YOU CANNOT SQUAT 400. Why are giving anyone advice on squat training?

Max is at 280 or so at 180 lbs…what’s your point?..anyways I’ll shut up until I can squat 400 and then everyone can do as I said…no, not really.[/quote]

Sorry for being rude. I just brought that up because a lot of people on here give advice on things they obviously shouldn’t. I respect your effort, but with a 1.5xBW squat, you really shouldn’t be giving anyone squatting advice.

Let me preface by saying I can only ATG back squat ~360 for 5 so I’m no Louie Simmons… That being said I don’t think the question is so much “can” you as it is “should” you squat 5 times a week. Two of your days are dyanamic/speed days so that does reduce the fatigue factor a little, to be fair. One of the things that caught my attention, however, are after your workout plan…you mention doing 1 set to failure twice a day on jump squat/ghr depending on the day. That pretty much blows your recovery factor out of the water…if you want to give this routine a stab, I would drop that…at least for lower body anyway.

Taking that out of the equation, it might work…depending on your recovery abilities and “supplements”…it also may not. I would think you’d get a boost out of it but it might start to break you down after a few continuous weeks…as you already know with training under your belt, it’s as much about fatigue management/recovery as it is heavy lifting. It could work okay for you but honestly you would probably see better gains on a 3/week schedule for squats. Maybe Mon: Heavy Back, Wed: Dynamic/Speed, Friday: Heavy/Moderate Front Squats or something along those lines. If you’re just determined to try it, which you seem to be, how about taking all of that extra “later in the day” crap out of it and the “upon waking and before bed” stuff out and see how you recover on it before throwing a bunch of extra work in? :wink:

P.S. Frequency is one of many possible approaches to strength training so it was NOT stupid of someone to mention a one a week split routine…think volume-frequency ratio. Your good friends at WSBB squat heavy 1/week and one speed day…and I’m pretty sure they aren’t just training for “the pump”!

[quote]Evolv wrote:
Iron-Hoosier wrote:

To the OP. I don’t see anything wrong with your program, do it and see how you feel after a few weeks.

[/quote]

Bad advice spews from every orifice on these boards.

[quote]Evolv wrote:
My personal gauge is when I start to lose my intensity in my training, I’ll cut shit out of my training if I start to lose my intensity. Good luck.[/quote]

Have to agree with Iron-Hoosier on this one. If a program is well-planned to begin with, you don’t have to start cutting shit out because you’re losing intensity…let’s not forget the point in the first place is to get stronger while managing volume, intensity and frequency. Also, screwing with parameters is all find and good but the question becomes: Are you getting more out of it? More is NOT always better…volume, intensity and recovery in perfect balance is what we’re striving for here. The whole point of varying all those factors is either to teeter on the edge of overtraining, or to allow you to work closer to your 1RM more often without backsliding. If his objective is the former, then planned breaks are called for.

/End Thread/

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:
Most programs have you squatting 3-4 times a week.
I figured i could do 3 days of heavy squatting with 2 days of light, grease the groove squatting.
How would you change the program for someone who wants to improve back and front squat?[/quote]

If you think people squat that much you havent looked around the gym. Most people never squat. Squating once or twice a week is enough. Your program will over train you seriously and you will not gain strength. You endurance might go up? The program needs major restructuring and like you’ve already been told. Lunmp legs together back work together chest and tris or chest and shoulders together. Anything different thatn what you got.

By the way I squat 580 single ply uspf depth. I will squat 600 in three weeks and the Nationals

Alright i’ve taken everything into consideration and have revised it.

Monday: back squat moderate
Bench heavy
Bent over row
inclined sit up
curls

Tuesday: Front squat - heavy
high pull
glute ham raise
plank exercise

Wednesday: press
deadlift
chin up
grip work

Thursday: light jog and gymnastics

Friday: Back squat - heavy
power clean
dips
landmine

saturday: Neck work
Pull ups
grip work
sandbag work

Sunday: jog

Like that i only squat heavy twice a week and one light squat maintenance session. All other major lifts are incorporated once a week (bench, dip, press, deadlift, pull up, chin up, power clean, high pull and bent over row).

How is that?

Looks better, but you probably won’t get much out of your heavy squat day the day after a moderate squatting session. I’d reverse the two or, better yet, move squats to Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday going heavy/light/heavy. This would still keep you from squatting and deadlifting the same day. Maybe a couple other things could be shuffled to accomodate… didn’t agonize over it too much.

[quote]masonator wrote:
ronaldo7 wrote:
masonator wrote:
ronaldo7 wrote:
Iron-Hoosier wrote:
ronaldo7 wrote:
Iron-Hoosier wrote:

You squat 3 times a week? And what is your max? EDIT: YOU CANNOT SQUAT 400. Why are giving anyone advice on squat training?

Max is at 280 or so at 180 lbs…what’s your point?..anyways I’ll shut up until I can squat 400 and then everyone can do as I said…no, not really.

Sorry for being rude. I just brought that up because a lot of people on here give advice on things they obviously shouldn’t. I respect your effort, but with a 1.5xBW squat, you really shouldn’t be giving anyone squatting advice.
[/quote]
It’s cool man. I’ll keep shit to my self till I git 400 or at least over 300lbs.

[quote]JMAX wrote:
Looks better, but you probably won’t get much out of your heavy squat day the day after a moderate squatting session. I’d reverse the two or, better yet, move squats to Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday going heavy/light/heavy. This would still keep you from squatting and deadlifting the same day. Maybe a couple other things could be shuffled to accomodate… didn’t agonize over it too much.

I know things can get heated/ugly fast on these boards…egos start bruising, insults start flying, etc. There are alot of people that genuinely want to be helpful tho and while we could easily just say “okay” to squatting heavy 7 days/week for 3 months str8, most (not all) are actually being benevolent.[/quote]

I took out tuesday and spread out the exercises a bit more. So far all responses have been good. I understand now that i was being a bit too excessive. I just try to take advice with a pinch of salt.

Monday:
Front squat heavy
press
chin up
weighted sit up

tuesday: jog or nothing

wednesday: deadlift heavy
bench heavy
bent over barbell row
GHR
grip work

thursday: gymnastics

friday: heavy back squat
power clean
dips
high pull
curls

saturday: neck work
pull ups
grip work
sandbag

sunday: nothing

Looks like a decent, sensible and manageable routine :wink: The trouble with really high frequency is there’s not much room for error to balance things…look how tricky it can get. If you really want to go with high frequency squatting without burning out tho, maybe look into Pavel’s 5x5x5 routine or the 40-day workout Dan John posted just a couple weeks ago.

Workout seems much better. It just seems like you were try to do to much all at once. push pull programs are tried and true and the Dan John post that JMAX mentioned was a solid routine also.

Just want to point out you can’t compare the squat frequency and capacity of an Olympic Weightlifter/Powerlifter/Weekend Warrior. The squat has a different level of importance and application for each of these.