Routine For Summer, Advice?

Hey guys, just wanted to throw this up here before I totally commit to it as my plan for the summer. I don’t post a lot but I read lots of the articles that are posted and am attempting to combine a few people’s ideas to create a balanced routine for the summer months. I know everyone says its impossible to put on muscle while decreasing bodyfat (the whole cals in vs. cals out idea) but I’m going to try anyways. If not, then just get more in shape (conditioned), while putting on some muscle.

Stats - Age: 22, Sex: Male, Height: 6’2, Weight: 205, BF%: 10-12%, Years Lifting: 4, Bench: 275, Deadlift: 300x15 (don’t max out - back pain lately), Squat 300 (last time i maxed - I know its low…)

Every Morning: Stretching follow by Fasted Cardio â?? Hills carrying 45lb salt bags (shrugging if possible)
Week 1:
Monday: Max Effort Upper

• BB Bench (work up to 3RM) â??
  • Incline DB Bench (2 sets x 15-20)
  • Seated cable rows supersetted /w rear delt flys (4 sets x 10-12 reps)
  • DB shrugs (4 sets x 15 reps)
  • Curl variation (4 sets x 12-15 reps)
    Tuesday: Dynamic Effort Lower
  • Jumping exercise or High-rep squat (20+)
  • Ab exercise
  • Stretching
  • Back stability exercises
    Thursday: Repetition Upper
  • DB Bench (4x12)
  • Chin up/ Pull ups supersetted /w cleans (4 sets x 8-12)
  • DB Military Press (4 x 8-12)
  • DB shrugs supersetted with db curls (3x10)
  • Heavy DB holds/farmers walks
    Friday: Max Effort Lower
  • Back Squat or Deadlift(work up to 3RM)
  • DB Lunges (3x6-12)
  • Calf Raises
  • Abs
    Saturday/Sunday: Sports day!
  • At least an hour of any sport
  • Abs
  • Stretching
  • Back stability exercise
    Tuesday nights might also be reserved for menâ??s league basketball, which could work out with my dynamic lower body plan.

As far as eating is concerned, I will have 4-5 whole eggs and a protein shake after the fasted cardio (before work). Besides that I will eat as much as I can, I am going for a caloric surplus besides the fasted cardio. I have a pretty high metabolism so I am hoping the fasted cardio(heavy carries) and my extracurricular sports will keep my bf% low. Let me know what you think!

Back pain when deadlifting? Check your technique… Post a video shot from the side.

If you are truly 10-12% BF you ought to be able to see your abs and all that… You don’t really weigh much for your height and it should not be hard to increase your poundages…
If you want to lean out, keep your cals at maintenance level roughly and protein high at 1.8+ g per lb of bodyweight… And make sure you get stronger all around…

Unless your body fat estimate is way off then you’re plenty lean unless you’re planning to do a show or something, though…

Also… Put your ME Lower day somewhere else, not right in front of 2 “sports” days…

And to be honest, the routine overall does not look particularly well thought-out.

You have VERY little leg work in there, and your upper days don’t look good either…

If you’re into this type of routine and want to stay active in sports, use WS4SB or something like that.

Fasted cardio does not equal heavy carries. It’s usually low to moderate intensity steady state stuff.

I’d scrap that routine and start over.

I can relate to the idea of trying to figure things out on your own. I do that all the time, and over time it gives you a deeper understanding of the subject. But in this case carnage is right–you need to quit trying to create or combine programs until you understand the basic principles they abide by.

Ws4sb is a good program. Follow that.

I tried using the WS4SB template when putting this together… I looked at the ws4sb 3 template and picked exercises from the list there choosing lifts I like/want to improve on. I thought that 1 day of heavy legs, combined with the hill carries and sports would be enough lower body work. The body fat was a guess, I can see my top 4 abs and my obliques, just want to get the bottom 2 showing. What exercises should I add/remove? Like I said, I tried using the ws4sb template but I guess I chose bad exercises? And the back pain is just preventing me from attempting my max, I’m getting physio for it right now.

[quote]JimInTheGym wrote:
I tried using the WS4SB template when putting this together… I looked at the ws4sb 3 template and picked exercises from the list there choosing lifts I like/want to improve on. I thought that 1 day of heavy legs, combined with the hill carries and sports would be enough lower body work. The body fat was a guess, I can see my top 4 abs and my obliques, just want to get the bottom 2 showing. What exercises should I add/remove? Like I said, I tried using the ws4sb template but I guess I chose bad exercises? And the back pain is just preventing me from attempting my max, I’m getting physio for it right now.[/quote]

I like WS4SB and the template Defranco has that you are using is fine. It is not that the exercises you picked are bad in their own right either…You are missing half your lower body work on BOTH days. You ignored a hamstring/p-chain movement on your ME lower day, which is not acceptable, and you substituted it with calf raises (not acceptable and nowhere near enough systemic stress). You ignored a unilateral leg movement and a hip extension movement on your dynamic lower body day. That’s half your workload. Even with back pain you should be able to do hamstring, hip extension, and unilateral leg work if you have kept your squats in. And if you decided to take the squats out (which you didn’t, and shouldn’t if you can still work on them), then the other stuff becomes even more important.

And as Carnage noted, hill sprints and heavy carries are terrible choices for fasted cardio. You need fuel for those intense sessions. Fasted cardio by definition is slow, steady paced, and easy on the muscles. Unless you want to lose some muscle mass and drain yourself. That’s why fasted cardio is jogging, biking, hiking, stuff like that.

Also, sports is not lower body work. It is fun, good workout, and great keeping bodyfat low for the casual person, but not a squat workout. Nowhere near the stress needed to grow serious muscle.

Add the work back in. Also I would drop the reps on your shrugs to 8-10.

Nice, thanks alot for the help. I wasn’t sure originally what I had screwed up. Usually my dead/back squats hit my hams pretty well, and the lunges but I will look at adding in another posterior chain exercise. I will switch my fasted cardio to a light jog and do my heavy carries after my dynamic effort lower body day and an off-day or something. Thanks again for the constructive criticism.

[quote]JimInTheGym wrote:
Nice, thanks alot for the help. I wasn’t sure originally what I had screwed up. Usually my dead/back squats hit my hams pretty well, and the lunges but I will look at adding in another posterior chain exercise. I will switch my fasted cardio to a light jog and do my heavy carries after my dynamic effort lower body day and an off-day or something. Thanks again for the constructive criticism. [/quote]

No problem. I like that plan a lot better. Heavy carries are great finishers for a workout, and by great I mean torturous :). Also remember to add in more leg work on your dynamic day, not just the max effort day.

Go kick some ass!