lunges with back leg up
swiss ball leg curl
sit-ups

friday lower body
dumbbell squats
dumbbell forward lunges
swiss ball leg curl
hanging leg raises

3 sets of 12 on push-ups, dumbbell squats, lunges, dips, and leg curls. 2 sets of 12 on hammer/barbell curls, rows, and sit-ups/leg raises, as far as pull-ups go, 3 sets of max reps, he can hit 4 perfect pull-ups, for all 3 sets before his form goes to shit so I’m sticking to that for right now. Any comments/ideas??? thanks again guys.

I have a few issues with it. I do not think this program adequately addresses core stability, strength, or endurance.

I think the situps should be dropped from the program all-together, and instead be used in a twice a week circuit where ab endurance is trained using high reps and various exercises - done to failure. (sit-up → lying-supine leg raises → ab wheel → repeat). In place of situps, I would put hanging leg raises (again). These should not consume much time at all - 10 minutes is fine.

I don’t know what swiss ball leg curls are, but for lack of a better term, I’m going to go ahead and say that they are gay. Instead I reccomend jump squats.

I don’t like the idea of using bulgarian split squats (lunges with back leg up
) yet - the reason for this is that they’re not particularly good for young lifters, they simply don’t address any needs for “functional” strength. If you want to use single leg movements just go ahead and start training pistils.

I really like dumbbell lunges + alternating overhead push presses. They are brutal on the core muscles, and teach a great sense of coordination and balance. They are also very easy to learn.

The other comment I have to make, is that the chair dips at the end sounds like a recipe for a neglected exercise. If these are causing discomfort for the lifter, replace them with something else - No slacking!

Not to sound like a pain is the ass but could you put together a routine using your ideas? I suck at it. Swiss ball leg curls work the hamstrings/core/lower back. Look them up. The ab circuit sounds like a good idea. I just thought circuits were too taxing but if you say so. I like the lunges/overhead press. The chair dips are just a good tricep movement that takes balance if done on a swiss ball. Maybe no?

Monday - Upper Body
Pull-Ups
Barbell Push Press + 3 second pause at top
Dumbbell Push-Ups
Hammer Curls

Tuesday - Lower Body
Dumbbell Squats with Single Dummbell Overhead
Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift with emphasis on stretch
Dumbbell Lunges + alternating arm overhead Push Press
Hanging Leg Raises

Wednesday - Ab Circuit
sit-up → lying-supine leg raises → ab wheel → repeat to failure (timed: 10 minutes)

Thursday - Upper Body
Dips
Bent-over Barbell Row
Dumbbell Push-Ups
Dumbbell Triceps Extension

Friday - Lower Body
Dumbbell Jump Squats on a padded surface
Dumbbell Lunges
Dumbbell Reverse Lunges
Hanging Leg Raises

Sunday - Stretching and Ab Circuit
Steady-state (cardio) warmup with Stretching and Mobility Work (timed: 20 minutes) : Dedicate a lot of effort to hip mobility as they will get beat up from the lunges across various planes of motion.
sit-up → lying-supine leg raises → ab wheel → repeat to failure (timed: 10 minutes)

This work should thicken up his traps quickly - I like avoiding spinal loading even with light loads, in younguns. If it becomes an issue, it’s ok to briefly switch to barbell on the back work.

Do not ever go under 10 reps on the exercises with added resistance - this is a beginning lifter, so strength topography is key. After a few weeks you should know what his imbalances are and focus on fixing them.

Watch the back, make sure he can keep a tight arch on the proper lifts.

Damn…that was way more then I could ask for! Thanks a ton man. The dips on thursday on bench dips right? I don’t have dip station. Rep in the 10-15 on everything I’m guessing? Thanks again

Oh you already answered that question my bad.

[quote]cormac wrote:
Brant_Drake wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Why hasn 't anyone just said… have this kid bench, deadlift and squat… he’s 14 for fucks sake. He isn’t that young.

Agreed.

Wrong Wrong Wrong Wronnnnnnggggggg

(Don’t get mad, get even. Please explain rationally why you are right and I am wrong. I’d love to hear this argument.)[/quote]

I started really pushing myself when I was 15. I’ve noticed nothing but increasements in everyway. Honestly a great way to start out is to put on 2 bumper 10 pounders and learn perfect form in thedeadlift. If you have mirrors…it’s by far one of the easiest compound movements to learn.

Squats… if someone teaches him can be done with acceptable form with minimal weights during one’s first training session…if they are in decent shape to begin with. Bench pressing is…undeniably simple.

[quote]PSuns88 wrote:
Damn…that was way more then I could ask for! Thanks a ton man. The dips on thursday on bench dips right? I don’t have dip station. Rep in the 10-15 on everything I’m guessing? Thanks again[/quote]

by the way dips and overhead dumbell squats are far more dangerous to a new/young lifter.

Dips can put too much stress of your ribcage and thig around it… overhead dumbell squats that’s just asking for troubl.

I am well aware of the problems with dips. I already commented on this issue.

Overhead lifts are not dangerous.

This kid is better off not doing deadlifts, squats, or bench press yet. The evidence is everywhere, go read.

Seriously, imagine prescribing a squat routine for a kid that for all you know cannot complete a single hanging leg raise through the full range of motion. For all you know this kid could have hyperlordosis or kryphosis issues. A bench press routine - have you considered that this kid might have shoulder imbalances? A deadlift routine - what if this kid cannot activate his gluteals or upper trapezius muscles? Did you know that heavy deadlifting for undertrained individuals can create a condition where both of these muscles groups are shut down?

I am completely aware of the fact that you, in all likelihood, have no idea what I am talking about. I realize all too fully that you will continue to spout off about compound exercises and their application as the be-all-end-all of training methods.

ok so no dips even though their in the program?

Sorry I was confused. I can have the bench dips and the tricep exts on thursday?

[quote]cormac wrote:

This kid is better off not doing deadlifts, squats, or bench press yet. The evidence is everywhere, go read.

Seriously, imagine prescribing a squat routine for a kid that for all you know cannot complete a single hanging leg raise through the full range of motion. For all you know this kid could have hyperlordosis or kryphosis issues.[/quote]

no one is perscribing a squat routine. Squatting small weights for 8-12 reps twice a week can only have benefits…especially if big brother is teacher him how. I wish someone would of had me squatting when I was 14. I’m 15 and I do 5 rep sets of all the powerlifts and I do the olympic lifts. They have only given me benefits.

Funny how I prescribed doing just this in like my first post on this thread. Squats are good for maintaining proper coordination through the growth spurt period. Remember?

What worries me is meatheads like you who, in general, keep pushing to increase weight too soon.

Overhead squats will satisfy more than enough of the objectives for this kid. They’ll keep the weight moderate and the gains high.

Kthx.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
cormac wrote:

Seriously, imagine prescribing a squat routine for a kid that for all you know cannot complete a single hanging leg raise through the full range of motion. For all you know this kid could have hyperlordosis or kryphosis issues.

no one is perscribing a squat routine. Squatting small weights for 8-12 reps twice a week can only have benefits…especially if big brother is teaching him how. I wish someone would of had me squatting when I was 14. I’m 15 and I do 5 rep sets of all the powerlifts and I do the olympic lifts. They have only given me benefits.[/quote]

[quote]cormac wrote:
Funny how I prescribed doing just this in like my first post on this thread. Squats are good for maintaining proper coordination through the growth spurt period. Remember?

What worries me is meatheads like you who, in general, keep pushing to increase weight too soon.

Overhead squats will satisfy more than enough of the objectives for this kid. They’ll keep the weight moderate and the gains high.

Kthx.

zephead4747 wrote:
cormac wrote:

Seriously, imagine prescribing a squat routine for a kid that for all you know cannot complete a single hanging leg raise through the full range of motion. For all you know this kid could have hyperlordosis or kryphosis issues.

no one is perscribing a squat routine. Squatting small weights for 8-12 reps twice a week can only have benefits…especially if big brother is teaching him how. I wish someone would of had me squatting when I was 14. I’m 15 and I do 5 rep sets of all the powerlifts and I do the olympic lifts. They have only given me benefits.

[/quote]

“meatheads like me” honestly I’m a poser meathead. I’m a highschool kid who weighs 160 pounds. Thanks for the compliment though. I don’t want to turn this into a negative thread, but I think for ayone starting out back squats are superior to every other varaition. Give the kid 2 or 3 weeks with light weights and moderately high reps (10+) to help build the strength of the joints and the motor coordination to increase the weights.

Overhead lifts with a dumbell are much more dangerous then thtat with a barbell IMO. It’s much easier to roll a barbell in front or in back of you, but if your muscles fail with a dumbell, it’s going straight down, leaving a nastry bruise on the guy’s cranium.

Oh, you’re only in high school?

I am sure you will accumulate knowledge over time. At least you are not a twenty-something year old “internet guru” that is set in your own methodologies and beliefs.

I reccomend that you, too, work on core strength, stability, and endurance. The Big Three are not going to get you very far if you have imbalances. Neglecting to bring up your weaknesses, and refusing to acknowledge them will leave you… Weak. And usually injured.

Upper:
Bench 5x5
Row: 4x10
Skull Crushers: 3x10
Barbell Curls: 3x10

Lower:
Front squat 4x10
Lunges: 4x10
Stiff Leg deads: 4x10

Upper:
Military Press: 4x10
Chinups 4x10 assisted if needed
Over head extensions 3x10
Wall curls: 3x10

Lower:
Deadlifts: 5x5
Stiff Leg deads: 4x10
Front squats: 4x10

Dont even have him lift “weight” until he can do at least 20 reps with acceptable form with just the bar on those lifts. Let the little things go because everyones different but if his back is rounding bad of his knes buckle in the squats or he looks like a new born horse trying to walk when he benches, make him practice more.

After that, his first workout he should be able to hit all the reps and sets with those excercises with still good form. After that add 2.5-5lbs a week to every lift.

Sooner or later he wont be able to do all the reps but thats ok. However once he cant get more than 5 reps on the excercises where he should be getting 10, drop the weight back down and start over at 10 reps moveing back up 2.5-5lbs on everything weekly.

I just hope he wont waste his newbie gains like I and most people did with crapy training shit form and not enough rest and food.

My son is 14 and is similar in size to your brother. He does bodyweight circuits when at home, pushups, pullups, inverted rows, situps and bw squats.

When we’re in the gym, its Bench, squats, deadlifts, dips, rows, presses. He’s tried the machines but I’ve convinced him that they are for wanabbes.

The point is, make it fun for him. Get him enthusiastic about it. Kids like to have a program to follow but if it’s not fun, they won’t stay with it.

My son loves dips. Anytime he can move his own bodyweight that’s a real plus.

Days 1 and 3

-Warmup
-Mobility drills
-practicing movements (mostly squats with a broomstick or something)
-Speed work (sprints or jumps)
-General strength circuit (stick to mostly BW exercises for now until he gets stronger. Pushups, inverted rows, pullups, lunges, stepups. If you have a sled maybe he could drag that aroung)

Days 2 and 4

-Warmup
-Mobility drills
-Practicing movements
-General strength circuit
-Conditioning (your choice)

That’s what I would do.