T Nation

Routine For Lower Body Flexibility

Please critique this routine.

I tried to design a routine that fixes my calf, ankle, shin, hamstring and lower back inflexibilities. I cannot perform a squat with good form without my heels coming off the ground, and my hamstring weakness has been a big problem for a long time.

I would consider myself a ‘computer guy’ with poor posture and flexibility, but I also want to develop strength.

Monday, Wednesday, Friday
-Run less than or equal to 3 miles barefoot on grass
-Stretch and do light work like supine bridges and ab work

Tuesday, Saturday
max pullups
3x5 box front-squats
3x15 Step Ups
3x20 Glute Ham Raises
3x20 Reverse Hypers
3x30 Romanian Deadlifts
3x20 Russian Twists
3x Stomach Vacuums
3x20 Calf Raise
3x20 Reverse Calf Raise
(everything done with 0 or low weight, a focus on form)

Thursday
max pullups
3x5 box front squats
3x5 bench press
3x5 military press
3x5 bentover rows
1x5 Deadlift

REST all day Sunday

Am I doing too little upper body work and too much lower body work? Is it wrong to do bench and shoulder work on the same day?

Could I do the Tues/Sat routine 3 times a week and absorb Thursday’s excercises into it?

Is this overtraining considering I already box 6 days a week?

anyone? i know its an unusual program

ive read the computer guy articles and am trying to incorporate a lot of that stuff in

The computer guy article won’t do as much for your lower body flexibility. My recommendation would be to get the Magnificent Mobility DVD.

Re the overtraining question, I doubt if you are lifting heavy enough in anything (given the large volume) for overtraining to be an issue. However, IMO you would be better off doing fewer exercises, sets and reps and much higher intensity (ie higher %1RM). This will do far more for your strength. At the moment it looks more like an endurance program.

I already got the book by Kurz

anyone?

i know its not ‘can i spot reduce fat or hey i dont have squats in my routine’ but i could really use the help

Hey, I know Sharetrader just gave out this link, but watch this and then see if you don’t have enough flexibility. I wish I would have seen this years ago.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744

[quote]cmaher wrote:
I already got the book by Kurz[/quote]

If this book addresses your flexibility issues, how come you are posting asking for advice?

What is in the DVD that isnt in Kurz? I am reluctant to spend 50 dollars on something because I can conceive of no ‘secret’ to stretching that it would contain. Can you tell me why the DVD was good for you? My budget is very tight.

Also, I have done the powerlifting thing for a year. I did Rippetoes for a year and of course I saw big strength gains, but that’s not what I’m focused on. Maybe I should have made it clearer, but I want the lower leg and back flexibility and endurance of an athlete, this program is in no way designed to significantly increase my 1 rep max in any power or olympic lift.

If I wanted to increase my squat, bench, and deadlift, thats what my program would consist of. If anything, I am doing this to benefit my running.

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
Hey, I know Sharetrader just gave out this link, but watch this and then see if you don’t have enough flexibility. I wish I would have seen this years ago.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744[/quote]

thanks for the link man, really informative

[quote]cmaher wrote:
What is in the DVD that isnt in Kurz? I am reluctant to spend 50 dollars on something because I can conceive of no ‘secret’ to stretching that it would contain. Can you tell me why the DVD was good for you? My budget is very tight.

Also, I have done the powerlifting thing for a year. I did Rippetoes for a year and of course I saw big strength gains, but that’s not what I’m focused on. Maybe I should have made it clearer, but I want the lower leg and back flexibility and endurance of an athlete, this program is in no way designed to significantly increase my 1 rep max in any power or olympic lift.

If I wanted to increase my squat, bench, and deadlift, thats what my program would consist of. If anything, I am doing this to benefit my running.[/quote]

OK. Didn’t get this from your OP. Not sure what would be in MM that’s not in Kurz, coz I have never seen the latter. MM has been really good for my lower back (I have grade 2 spondylolisthesis).

I read some reviews of MM and will get it, it seems good. Kurz doesnt really have many plans or specific directions, its a lot of science.

[quote]cmaher wrote:
I read some reviews of MM and will get it, it seems good. Kurz doesnt really have many plans or specific directions, its a lot of science.[/quote]

You are in luck, Eric Cressey has it on special on his website at the moment.