T Nation

Routine for Fighter

Hey guys im brand new to the site and ive been checking out all the posts and ive got alot of info, but i hate creating new workout programs because it always seems like i spend more time trying to make a routine than actually working out. 

First ill tell you a little about me. Im 17 years old, 6'2", 180. I have around 15% body fat. I box in the spring/summer/fall and swim in the winter. 

My goals are primarily to get stronger and faster for boxing and swimming, but i would also like to put on a little more muscle and get a little leaner. 

I have access to a pull up bar, a 35 lb kettlebell,a 50 lb kettlebell, and a dumbbell with 60lbs worth of plates. Im looking for a routine that has pretty extreme cardio and alot of emphasis on the core. any help would be great!  

Hey Man Lol.

First of all your stats show your in shape already, I think a few of the people here will suggest rippetoes starting strength but you don’t have all the equipment to do all of the lifts - you could just modify rippetoes for your own limitations of equipment.

Good luck!

I am a boxer also, and was suppose to have a fight today but dude busted his shoulder ;(. Honestly man, for boxing conditioning I would just stick to bodyweight exercises and plyos, pushups, situps, burpees, pullups, skipping rope and lots and lots of running. Usually for running when I am not boxing I run lots of HIIT, interval and hill sprint running and occasionally long distance run, and I have noticed huge improvements in the ring. I’d also look up various kettle bell exercises, and if you could get access to a bench ect, I’d stick to compound movements, but the main focus here especially as a boxer should be your conditioning. Hopefully I helped.

what are rippetoes?

Rippetoe’s Starting strength is a strength training program. Here is a link: http://www.startingstrength.net/. Thats the first time I’ve seen that link so it must be new.

Its a good program, but you need an olympic weight set to do it with a bench and squat rack. If you want to put on muscle mass, I would get a gym membership and do rippetoe’s with the necessary equipment.

For conditioning, I am jealous you have so much shit. I just ordered a 44lb kettlebell from elitefts and I can’t wait for it to get here.

I would start off doing a lot of kettlebell conditioning work. Just make up a circuit and do it. For example:

25 kb swings
10 pull ups
25 push ups
20 burpees
20 kb snatches/arm
x10 rounds or whatever you can do

Throw in some jump rope or running with your circuits and I think you have a pretty good conditioning workout. Theres an article on here by Mike Mahler called high-octane cardio with some good example of running and jump rope mixed with other exercises.

For you core, try turkish getups.

The thing that made me order the kettlebell was breathing ladders. I read about them on the gym jones website. You basically do kb swings/snatches/cleans or whatever and rest for the number of breaths according to the amount of reps you do. 1 rep/1 breath rest, 2 reps/2 breaths rest,…, usually to somewhere in the 20s.

Dragondoor had an article with an workout called brutal minimalist fitness.
3-5 sets of 3-5 turkish getups
50 kb swings, 10 bw squats
40 kb swings, 20 bw squats

20 kb swings, 40 bw squats
10 kb swings, 50 bw squats

Theres so much stuff out there on conditioning for fighters and kettlebell training. Go to Border’s or even check out the library, or better yet google.

From what I’ve read, conditioning priorities for fighters are

a) anerobic endurance
b) shoulder muscular endurance
c) leg/hip maximal strength

The idea being you want to outlast the other guy, keep your hands up, and have power in your punches and kicks.

This is general. If you’re looking for specific training regimens, read through Chad Waterbury’s author section, or post in the Combat Athlete forum.

Hey man, you’re pretty much on the right track.
I’ve boxed, & now am into BJJ & MMA, so first I guess need to ask by ‘fight’ do u mean boxing, or fighting/MMA??
Conditioning components are similar for both, especially in regards to the aerobic/anaerobic energy system demands. Muscular strength/power/endurance requirements will have slightly different priorities for each.

And to give advice from my personal mistakes - DO NOT NEGLECT FLEXIBILITY TRAINING!!
theuofh’s circuit he posted is right on the money as an example, but don’t stick to one continuously. If u want a great, free, site for very effective workouts along those lines, check out crossfit.com & their many affiliate’s. They all post a workout of the day (WOD) on their homepages everyday. Those guys love training fighters.

On top of all that, at the end of the day the most important thing to remember is that the body becomes it’s function. So if u wanna be a runner, run. If u wanna be a swimmer, swim. If u wanna be a fighter, fight!
That’s as specific as your training can get.

flexability is key,

work on condtitioning.
size and strength dosent mean anything if you cant last as long as the other guy
when I was fighting I was 200 at 5’8"
alot shorter than the other guys I was up against but I could take a hit that was my thing.
I had more wind than most guys and thats what helped me stay competative.

shoulder and back strength are real big because the power wont come from your arms it comes from your back,shoulders and your legs.

ya I know its crazy to think punching power comes from hips and legs,but its really true.

simple ,complex lifts like squats,chin ups,pull ups,bench presses these are all great