T Nation

Routine for CW's Boosting Deadlift Article

Does anyone have any ideas on how to incorporate this program into a powerlifting schedule. I already have 2 bench days so I just need a routine for the other 2 days built around this:

Frequency: twice per week (Monday and Thursday, for example).
Exercise: deadlift or squat
Load: 110% of your full range of motion 1RM
Rest: 2-3 minutes between each set of deadlifts

Week 1: 2x6 with pins set 2-3 inches below lockout*
Week 2: 2x5 standing on plates*
Week 3: 3x4 with pins set to next lowest position
Week 4: 2x3 standing on plates
Week 5: 3x2 with pins set to next lowest position
Week 6: test your 1RM at the end of the week**

I’ve ordered a squat rack that will be here in 6 weeks so if I can’t fit squats in now its not the end of the world because I’ll squat plenty when it gets here.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Week 2 and 4… are you supposed to pull 110% of your max deadlift for reps from a deficit???

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Week 2 and 4… are you supposed to pull 110% of your max deadlift for reps from a deficit???[/quote]

I think what he means is to shorten the range of motion from the top pins, and not from a deficit. SO example, he has the pins 14 inches high, does his week one. On week 2 he leaves it at 14 inches, but stands on plats to make it 13 1/2 inches or whatever. Then he drops the pins a jawn to make it 10 inches or whatever, then that week he makes it 9 1/2 with the plates. I think thats what he meant??

To OP, when your doing a progressive overload or whatever this is called, its to focus bringing up that one lift. If im not mistaken you should maintain other lifts, not try to blow yourself out by bringing them ALL up with this program. The only thing i could think of was a modified push-pull workout, making your DL days your pull days (Mon, Thurs) and your push the other 2 (Tues, Fri)

So should I work in light sets of weighted pull-ups and rows on my deadlift days? Would you call a power clean a pull?

yeah, i mean if weighted pull-ups are light for yo by all means do it lol. I would consider a powerclean a pull

[quote]Pipes06 wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Week 2 and 4… are you supposed to pull 110% of your max deadlift for reps from a deficit???

I think what he means is to shorten the range of motion from the top pins, and not from a deficit. SO example, he has the pins 14 inches high, does his week one. On week 2 he leaves it at 14 inches, but stands on plats to make it 13 1/2 inches or whatever. Then he drops the pins a jawn to make it 10 inches or whatever, then that week he makes it 9 1/2 with the plates. I think thats what he meant?? )[/quote]

Thats right, this program is designed around a power cage that only has pins every 2 or three inches

I’m working towards a one arm chin-up so a 5x5 of 50lbs is maintaining.

[quote]brownab wrote:
I’m working towards a one arm chin-up so a 5x5 of 50lbs is maintaining. [/quote]

Thats a pretty nifty chin-up regimen being completed. Good work

I remember that article.

I’ve wondered if something like that would work with board presses- starting with like 5 or 6 boards and working your way down to the chest over 6 weeks.

Anyone have experience with something like this.

[quote]Joe Grim wrote:
I remember that article.

I’ve wondered if something like that would work with board presses- starting with like 5 or 6 boards and working your way down to the chest over 6 weeks.

Anyone have experience with something like this.[/quote]

I havent, but im sure it would work. The concept is still the same with the overload movements, it would be interesting for someone to try

[quote]Joe Grim wrote:
I remember that article.

Anyone have experience with something like this.[/quote]

Doing it right now. I am using foam rollers as they feel a little easier on the shoulders. It does give a bit so not quite the same as board presses. I am trying to hit 405lbs by feb. so I am doing the following.
365 x 5 - 8" foam - done
365 x 4 - 6" foam - done
365 x 3 - 4" foam
365 x 2 - 3" foam
365 x 1 - 2" foam
365 x 1 - no foam
405 x 5 - 8" foam
405 x 4 - 6" foam
405 x 3 - 4" foam
405 x 2 - 3 foam
405 x 1 - 2 foam
405 x 1 - no foam

My current max is 335. I am goin to do this every two or three weeks. I rotate it with reverse band progressions and DB Press as my primary exercise.

I am also doing this with box squats. I have done it in the past and it has worked for squats. I may try adding foam to my box rather than raising it.

It did not work for me with DLs. I have had better luck with reverse band progressions but DLs suck for me. I may actually try it again for DLs but rotate it in with Box Squats and reverse band progressions for DL. I feel like I have to pull from the floor at least every 3 weeks.

Reverse band progressions are awesome. You should try them if you haven’t.

What are reverse band progressions?

Reverse band set up is as follows. You hang or loop the band from a high position in the rack and attach to the bar. The point is to keep a little band tension at the top so they don’t come loose. As you go down the band tension will increase and the weight will get lighter. The bands will also help you accelerate out of the hole. So I am doing the following for bench.

365 x 5 - Strong band - done
365 x 4 - Average band - done
365 x 3 - Light band - done
365 x 2 - Monster Mini band
365 x 1 - Mini band
365 x 1 - no band
405 x 5 - Strong band
405 x 4 - Average band
405 x 3 - Light band
405 x 2 - Monster Mini band
405 x 1 - Mini band
405 x 1 - no band

I am doing this for bench and DL. Getting ready to start it for squats as well.

Like the foam rollers, these are great for bad shoulders, like mine, when used for bench.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the info.