T Nation

Routine Critique

I have been lifting off and on since 01. More off than on. I have been hitting the gym 5 times a week for 7 months this time around and back in 01 I set a goal of benching 225 for reps e.g. 3X10 and a max bench of 300. I also want to be able to do 5X300 on squats. I have just started squatting past 2 months or so and I am trying to get the form down. My routine currently is as follows:

Monday
bench 135@10,235@5,245@5,255@5
incline bench 185@5,195@5, 205@5
decline bench 235@5,245@5,255@5
(I normally don’t get all of the reps on the last set…maybe 3-4)
seated dips 270@8,270@8,270@8
fly’s 40(each arm)@8,40@8,45@8

Tues.
seated rows 135@8,150@8,165@8
kneeling (bench) dumbell pulls
75@8,80@8,85@8
pulldowns 120@8,135@8,150@8
widegrip pulls (standing on machine)
90@8,90@8,90@8

Wednesday
scullcrushers 85@8,95@8,100@8
tricep extensions using rope
60@8,70@8,80@8
seated overhead tricep extension
80@10,90@10,100@10
dips (bodyweight) 20reps,15reps,10reps
closegrip bench 115@8,125@8,135@8

Thurs.
dumbell curls standing
40(each arm)@10,40@10,45@10
standing barbell curls 85@8,85@8,85@8
burnouts 21@50 for three sets, low,high,full

Fri.
Squats
135@10,225@5,245@5,265@5
may lower the weight some until I am conviced I have good form. I need a spotter!
leg press 400@8,450@8,450@8
seated calf extensions 400@12,490@10,490@10
seated quad extension 90@8,100@8,100@8
I mix in lunges with 45,s and other shit.

Sat.
Shoulders
military press 135@6,135@6,185@4
don’t know what this is called but you basically move from a front flexed position while standing holding dumbells to a squating position (arm wise) 30@8,35@8,35@8
shrugs 185@8,195@8,205@8

Sunday off.

Since I started I have gone (exercises have been changed up) from weighing 5-10 180 to 205 and weight wise I have achieved the following:
max bench 205 to 280
curls curling 25 pounders to 40 pounders for reps
squat undetermined cause I haven’t maxed (no spotter, shitty form).

I need advice on diet, eating at a military chowhall and if this routine is reasonable. I have read a lot of articles on T-Nation but I find a lot of conflicting info. Also if I post pics can you tell me my bodyfat % LOL. Thanks for the help.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that I don’t take any supplements. I just eat a lot.

Doesnt look bad hows it working?? One thing I would note is note the exercise choices but the placement timing in the workout. One that jumped out at me was close grip BP last on your tricep day. I would move this to first or second as you should be able to move a lot more load on it then say the tri extensions etc. Do this bigger move that allows more intensity prior to the smaller more isolated move.

Id look at things like that on every day. Other than that dont be affraid of changing it up a bit from time to time. Going for more reps some days and less others.

The other thing, Man its not horrid but really two days one for each side of the arm?? I just think you could do arms in one single swwop and then have a day off or use that day to train something of a bit more importance??

Keep on trucking,
Phill

You might get better results with less workout days. Try having 2-3 days of rest a week.

I used to do something pretty similiar. My biggest thing is I don’t know that ya really need all that benching on a chest day.

fkn hell, your chest must be huge lol!!

[quote]Phill wrote:
Doesnt look bad hows it working?? One thing I would note is note the exercise choices but the placement timing in the workout. One that jumped out at me was close grip BP last on your tricep day. I would move this to first or second as you should be able to move a lot more load on it then say the tri extensions etc. Do this bigger move that allows more intensity prior to the smaller more isolated move.

Id look at things like that on every day. Other than that dont be affraid of changing it up a bit from time to time. Going for more reps some days and less others.

The other thing, Man its not horrid but really two days one for each side of the arm?? I just think you could do arms in one single swwop and then have a day off or use that day to train something of a bit more importance??

Keep on trucking,
Phill[/quote]

I have gotten noticeably bigger and stronger after the seven months so I guess it is working ok. I just wasn’t sure if I was over training. I will switch the close grips to the bench day I think. I used to do chest and tri’s, back and bi’s and then legs with one day off a week. That is what I did until recently.

Is that a shitty schedule?? I have been reading and the majority of people seem to favor heavy and low reps and not too frequent work outs. I guess my real problem area is abs. I have never had a 6 pack and I am not sure if it is possible for me considering what I eat. Anyway, thanks for the advice and I will probably start a training log on here casue it seems to help a lot of people.

[quote]K-Narf wrote:
I used to do something pretty similiar. My biggest thing is I don’t know that ya really need all that benching on a chest day.[/quote]

Do you think I am overtraining chest? Should I up the weight and drop the reps more? Also, one of my tri’s is hurting from skullcrushers do you know a good substitute? Thanks for the reply.

I personally think that you are overtraining a lot. Also didnt seem to see very many warm up excercises prior to your work sets. Cut back on the amount of excericses that you are doing and vary them week to week.

Unsure as to the time of rest between sets. Dropping that can possibly bump the intensity of your work out allowing to cut back on overall time in the gym. I personally am currently in the gym about 6 days a week but only there for 25-45 mins at the most.
See Ya

If it’s working for you, then don’t sweat it. If you start losing progress, I would seriously just drop a day out (say shoulders) and halve your bench exercises. Then stick a coulple shoulder ex’s there. That way you get another day of rest.

Other thing that comes to mind is that you’re not doing any real hamstring work. At all. Consider adding that to leg day.

remember to rotate exercises and rep ranges

re: the tricep, drop the skullcrushers out for a while. You’re doing a lot of pushing work.

Yeah, the hurting tricep points to overtraining. Maybe drop one or two of your bench variations in addition to the skullcrushers.

Roger that. I will regroup and cut the reps down plus incorporate hamstrings and no more skullcrushers! I really appreciate the advice, out here…