Routine Critique

Routine Critique

First off I’d like to say I’m new to T-Nation and this is my first post so bear with me. I read a lot of threads and articles but there is so much information out there it seems so hard to put it all together.

Anyway the reason I’m posting is I need routine help. So before I go further here?s the routine.

squat 1x12 1x10 1x8 1x15 (each set I add more weight until the last set which is a cool down)

deadlift 1x12 1x10 1x8 1x15 (same weight scheme as squat)

benchpress 3x8

By this time I get really tired so I go swim for an hour.

After swim:

chins 3x8

curls 3x8

tricep cable pulldowns 3x8

overhead press 3x8

calfpress of leg press machine 3x8

shrugs 3x8

Anyway my problem is that this workout seems to make my muscles really tired to the point where I feel that I’m not lifting the weight that I could if I broke things apart a little.

I’ve been doing this routine for about 5 weeks now and I’ve gone from 122lb to 140lb. Although I’ve made some pretty nice gains I feel that its time to get a more serious routine.

So anyone?s help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Oh yea I?m eating a lot so don?t worry about that. I?m not crying about being a hard gainer.

Oh yea I cant believe I forgot to mention this. I do this workout 3 days a week. Workout Rest Workout Rest Workout Rest Rest and so on…

I don’t think that’s a very good plan at all. How intensely are you working on these sets? Also, why are you swimming in between your lifting session? I’ve never heard of anyone doing that before. It must suck to have to get into a bathing suit, swim, dry off, change, and go back to lifting weights.

First of all, that is something you should be doing in a single week. Do one day Bench and other relative exercises, the second day squat and other relative, and the third DL, with some back ex thrown in there. That or use DE and ME Days, whatever you take from this, most likely will be better than what you have right now.

One more thing, DL at those reps is just pointless, ease it down on reps until youre comfortable with 2-3 reps or even singles.

Save the swimming for the off days or something.

Wow that must be like 3.5 hours each day.

Way to much.

Check out Christian Thibaudeau’s Mutation Series for a more intense work out in about an hour.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459214

Of course it all depends on what your goals are and more importantly your shoe size.

Add some weight to that bar. get those loads up on the squat and DL man thats friggin cardio not lifting.

Id say your best bet at this point is to pick a plan here. One from an article Not to flame but you have no rhyme or reason to what you are doing. Do a few hundred programs find waht works for you, get some knowledge and then build one your self.

Maybe try something like ABBH, or Big Boy Basics.

[quote]BackInAction wrote:
I don’t think that’s a very good plan at all. How intensely are you working on these sets? Also, why are you swimming in between your lifting session? I’ve never heard of anyone doing that before. It must suck to have to get into a bathing suit, swim, dry off, change, and go back to lifting weights.[/quote]

Yea the reason I am swiming is I feel like I’m going to puke after I do Squat Dl and Bench all in a row. After I swim I feel better and do the rest of my lifts.

So your rest period after doing squats and DL’s is to swim laps for an hour? ummmmmmmmm … I don’t get it.

Maybe you should try just standing still till your fatigue goeas away. JMO.

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
So your rest period after doing squats and DL’s is to swim laps for an hour? ummmmmmmmm … I don’t get it.

Maybe you should try just standing still till your fatigue goeas away. JMO.[/quote]

Yea my little brother goes with me to the gym so I can take him swimming. After about an hour of relaxing in the pool I feel rested. Anyway, after looking it over my routine sucks and I’ve switched to this.

5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.html.

[quote]THE_DARK_KNIGHT wrote:
jbodzin wrote:

Maybe you should try just standing still till your fatigue goeas away. JMO.

Yea my little brother goes with me to the gym so I can take him swimming. After about an hour of relaxing in the pool I feel rested. Anyway, after looking it over my routine sucks and I’ve switched to this.

5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.html.
[/quote]

good choice