Chin-Ups: 5x5 sets across
Bench Press: 5x5 first set 60%, second 80%, three sets across
Hang Clean: 5x3 sets across

Workout B
Front Squat: 5x5 first set 60%, second 80%, three sets across
Pendlay Row: 5x5 first set 60%, second 80%, three sets across
Press: 5x5 first set 60%, second 80%, three sets across
Deadlift: 5x5 first set 60%, second 80%, one working set

How does the original layout look? What would you change? Would adding an extra push AND pull movement at the end of each workout diminish this routineā€™s effectiveness?

Follow and existing pre-written program, you obviously donā€™t know how to write your own program. 20% jumps between sets is not good, and your program seems to focus on squats and rows more than anything.

1 Like

3 Likes

I should have mentioned that the first two sets are warm up sets. 60% of working weight then 80% of working weight. Not 60 and 80% of 1 rep max. So itā€™s really 3x5.

That might be even worse.

Like Chris said, look for a pre-written program on t-nation. Thereā€™s a ton of programs written by great coaches. Youā€™ll definitely find one that suits your needs.

What are your goals? How many days per week do you train?

just do a classic Bill Starr/70s 5x5 template. They all work.
(Preferably one with ā€˜heavy-light-mediumā€™ setup)

1 Like

Is there a routine based around the lifts that I mentioned? Iā€™d like to get stronger and build lean muscle. I have no intention on becoming a professional powerlifter or anything like that. And the physique of a bodybuilder is too much. Iā€™d much rather my muscles be smaller but dense than to look like that. I did Starting Strength, got pretty strong but started having achilles tendon problems due to carrying around too much weight on my frame. Maybe I should mention that I have a highly active job.

I based this routine around one that I saw by Reg Park. I just took out the calf and wrist work and added the hang clean, and took out barbell curls and use chin-ups over pull-ups and a supine grip when doing rows. Isolation movements bore the hell out of me.

5/3/1 can be easily based on what your goals are. Becoming stronger at squatting, pressing, and pulling doesnā€™t mean you have to be a powerlifter, nor do you need to do the volume (of lifting and eating) required to look like a powerlifter. If you just want to look strong and ā€œdenseā€ without being very large, pick a couple big lifts, progress on them using a tried-and-true method, and maybe do a lot of conditioning instead of more lifting. Provided you lift hard and recover well, this will probably give you the lean, athletic look you may want.

If youā€™re not interested in competitive powerlifting this is probably the wrong forum, since youā€™re just going to get answers from guys that are biased towards competitive powerlifting. Maybe try the ā€œBigger Stronger Leanerā€ forum.

2 Likes

Are you taking steroids, GH, and peptides? If not, then itā€™s highly unlikely you will ever look like a pro bodybuilder. Based on what you are saying, a generic bodybuilding program or 5/3/1 would suit your goals.

1 Like

As mentioned try 5/3/1. Also donā€™t do 5x5 chins. They will destroy your elbows. Just my $0.02

1 Like