Routine Critique?

Hey guys just looking for some feedback on my current workout. Been doing it for about 2 months now, definitely seeing progress, just wanted some feedback to see if there is anything I can do to improve it. I’m currently 6’1 and 220lbs. I’m mainly looking to recomp right now, so drop a little fat and maintain/increase strength, mass gain isn’t as important right now although wouldn’t be a bad thing. I dropped deadlifts in favor of more squatting since my legs are my weakest point, and I don’t think my lower back could sustain full body workouts if I added in deads. I generally shoot for a specific rep range and using the same weight, add 1 rep per week until I hit my goal reps, then increase the weight and start over. So let’s say squatting 225lbs for 3x8 this week, next week 3x9, then 3x10, then increase weight to 235 and start back at 3x8.

Monday
Squat 5/3/1 Style
T-Bar Rows 3x10-12
Standing Press 3x8-10
Quad extensions 3x15
Hamstring Curls 3x15
Seated calf raise 5x15+
Face Pull 2x10

Wednesday
Front squat 3x12-15
Good Morning 3x10
Flat DB bench 3x8-10
Chest supported row 3x10-12
Standing DB press 3x8-10
Close grip cable Pulldown 3x10-12
Standing Calf Raise 5x15+
Lateral DB raise 2x15

Friday
Squat 3x8-10
Cable Row 3x10-12
Incline DB bench 3x10-12
Wide grip cable Pulldown 3x10-12
Reverse Goblet Lunge 3x10-12
BB curls 3x8-10
Skullcrushers 3x8-10
Upright Cable Row 2x15

Tuesday/Thursday are conditioning and core days. I generally do an ab circuit both days, with Tuesday being LISS cardio (30mins+ incline walking on treadmill) and Thursday doing more HIIT style cardio with airdyne bike/tire flips/farmers carry etc.

If you are progressing why are you looking to change anything?

1 Like

Dropping deads altogether seems weird. Why not RDLs/SLDLs/one legged DB SLDLs to at least give your hammies more attention? Squatting is the bees knees, but if I could still deadlift a lot, I wouldn’t give it up for anything.

I like it. The only thing I would change would be instead of the standing press done on Monday, I’d do some kind of chest press. Good old fashion benching would be an idea.

I think for physique purposes horizontal pressing is way more important than vertical pressing but that’s just me.

Also - fuck deads. You’ve got squats, front squats, good mornings, lunges, leg extensions, leg curls and even calf raises!

Your legs are getting plenty of work. Fuck deads.

Missed the good mornings he had in there, this is a valid point. Just figured a hamstring heavy movement would be beneficial with all that squatting. Didn’t even mean conventional deads, since they’re not a leg exercise.

Thanks for the responses guys. I’m not necessarily looking to change anything, just looking to see if anyone saw some holes in my routine that I didn’t.

I gave up deads because no matter what I do they irritate my piriformis. About a year and a half ago it got so bad I had trouble walking/ Standing/ sitting and obviously couldn’t train. This is despite dropping the weight significantly and attempting to reset form and weights from 135lb and work my way back up. It’s weird because good mornings and squats don’t bother it.

Yogi- I think I’ll maybe try alternating bench and standing press weekly so I can get the benefits of both.