Routine Critique?

Greetings, all.

Because of what I’m after, I have to build my own programs. I do Powerbuilding, because I want to be both big and strong. However, as of late my program has focused more on the bodybuilding aspect of things. I’m plenty big, and I want to focus on getting stronger. I used the 5/3/1 template, however, I just ended up getting weaker. I’m a volume guy.

So, here’s what I’ve come up with. Anyone who actually takes the time to read it all and can offer some advice, I absolutely thank you.

My first compound movement, I rest for as long as I need. The following two compounds, I rest 2 minutes. When it comes to the hypertrophy sets, I only rest 15-30 seconds.

Saturday - Push Day A
Flat Bench - 3 sets of 5, sets done at 80% of my 1RM.
Dips - at a body-weight of 265lb for 5 sets of 5
Over-Head Dumbbell Press - 70% of my 1RM [may switch to barbell, as those dumbbells will get heavy, and getting them up is a bitch]

Machine Flies - 3 sets of 10-15 at 50-60% of my 1RM
SUPERSET WITH
Triceps Rope Pressdown - 3 sets of 10-15

Shoulder Lateral Raise - 3 sets of 10-15
SUPERSET WITH
Behind The Neck Press - 3 sets of 10-15

Cardio: 15-20 minute incline walk

PULL DAY A

Lat Pull Down - 3 sets of 5
Yates Rows - 5x5
T-Bar Row - 5x5

Hammer Strength Shrugs w/ 2second pause at top - 3 sets of 10

Hammer Curls - 3 sets of 10
SUPERSET WITH
Machine Rear Delt Flies - 3 sets of 10-15

Preacher Curls - 3 sets of 10-15
SUPERSET WITH
Band Pull Apart - 3 sets of 10-15

Cardio: 30 minute walk

LEG DAY A

Squat - 3 sets of 5

Power Clean - 3 sets of 5

Sissy Squat - 5 sets of 10

Plate Carries - 3 rounds of walking 30ft and back
I grab two 45lb plates together and hustle.

Cable Pull Through - 5 sets of 10

Calf Sitting Extension - 3 sets, each set is a drop set where at first I go light, for 20 reps, then immediately go heavy for 5 reps. That’s a set.

Side-Bends - 3 sets of 20 reps per side

Ab Crunch Machine - 4 sets of of 15

Cardio: Incline walk for 15 minutes

PUSH DAY B
Over-Head Press - 3x5

Dips - 5x5

Incline Bench - 5x5

Muscle Snatch & Walk - 2 reps and a 35ft walk with the weight over-head, 3 sets of that. For those who don’t know, a Muscle Snatch is where you basically do a Power Clean, but instead of catching it, the second it gets about neck level you whip your hands underneath and press it.

Machine Fly - 3x8-10
SUPERSET WITH
Machine Triceps Extension - 3x8-10

Triceps Press down - 3x20, 15, 10
I only rest about 10 seconds between sets.

PULL DAY B
Yates Row - 3x5

Hammer Strength Reverse Grip Pulldown - 5x5

Wide Grip Cable Row - 5x5 [thinking of changing this to chest supported dumbbell row]

Snatch Grip High Pull - 3x5

Kroc Row - 1x20 [I do a few build up sets, and then just go all out for one set]

Cable Flex Curl - 6x10
SUPERSET WITH
Dumbbell Rear Delt Fly - 6x10

LEG DAY B
Rack Pulls - 3x5

Stiff Leg Deadlift - 5x5

Leg Press - 5x5

Hyper Extensions - 5x10

Sitting Calf Raise - 5x10

Leg Raises - 3x10

Cable Crunches - 3x10

Cardio: 30 minute walk

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I know that’s a lot to read up there.

I think that you wouldn’t be able to explain the purpose of quite a few of the exercises in there. Generally speaking, I think you do too many exercises for sets of five and to many exercises in general. Also, I would put power cleans before squats. A few other things:

Rack pulls, then stiff-legged DLs and then hyperextensions? I mean, why? Do one of them properly and drop the others.

Same with dumbbell presses, then lateral raises, then btn presses - ALL of this after benching, dips and flyes?

And so on. Once you’ve hit a muscle sufficiently, you can move on; also, there will be plenty of overlap. There is zero need to cram every cool exercise on earth into a workout plan.

That being said, I’m not a “volume guy” - I like working on a small number of exercises and doing these well. So maybe I just don’t get it.

You didn’t use the 5/3/1 template. You did as you pleased, ignored the advice and left questions unanswered.

Your program has no sense, not proven, all over the place and as mentioned above, you couldn’t begin to explain anything.

You actually think you can do anything after kroc rows?

So yeah, have fun and do report back with results.

[quote]CaliberWinfield wrote:
Greetings, all.

Because of what I’m after, I have to build my own programs. I do Powerbuilding, because I want to be both big and strong. However, as of late my program has focused more on the bodybuilding aspect of things. I’m plenty big, and I want to focus on getting stronger. I used the 5/3/1 template, however, I just ended up getting weaker. I’m a volume guy.
[/quote]

A few things… First off, there’s nothing unusual about your goals. Being big and strong is pretty much what everyone wants to do. Not sure why you think this is a unique situation requiring you to build your own program.

You’re only big because you’re fat. You’re VERY VERY fat. You barely bench press your own bodyweight. At 265, that’s pathetic.

Calling yourself a ‘volume guy’ is misleading. You actually don’t know what you are, because you have not experienced success. Nothing has worked for you.

5/3/1 is a GREAT program. It works if you run it the way it’s laid out, with the correct percentages. My guess is you went to heavy on most of your work.

Consider this: I weigh 190 lbs and I have A LOT more strength/muscle than you do. You’re delusional if you believe otherwise. You’re paying too much attention to workout templates, and trying to reinvent the wheel, and you’re not paying any attention to what/how you eat. This will not serve you well.

I’m being harsh here because it seems you need a dose of reality. The sooner you stop thinking of yourself as a special snowflake that needs special things that nobody else seems to need, the better.

SImilar but better…

I suspect you have unrealistic expectations. You’re probably going to continue spinning your wheels for a while because you believe frequency and volume will take you to the promise land.

If I may humbly suggest you take a step back, commit to greyskull lp (or similar) for 3 months, eat properly and see where you come out.

You’re in a bad cycle right now and you need experience. Without it, you’re going to keep blaming programs or your unique requirements instead of just learning how your body works with the tools you have available