T Nation

Routine Critique

Current maxes 455 (beltless), haven't tested belted max/330 paused bench/565 deadlift/375 front squat/205 OHP

Primary Lift programming
These are all based on 90% of current 1RM
Week 1 5x5 @80%
Week 2 6x3 @85%
Week 3 7x2 @90%
Week 4 3x5 @60%
Add 5 lbs to upper body lifts and 10 lbs to lower body lifts per month

Go back two months once lifts stagnate and repeat
Day 1
Low Bar Back Squat
Hang Clean 6x2 @80%
Hanging Leg Raises
Sled Sprints

Day 2
Paused Bench Press
Overhead Press 3x10@70%
Weighted Pullups 3x5+ reps
Kroc Rows 3 sets AMRAP
DB Lateral Raises 3x10
DB Rear Delt Flyes 3x10
Hammer Curls 3x10
Seated DB Curls 3x10
Conditioning Circuit (5 times around)
15 Medicine Ball Throws
10 Pullups
Farmer Walks

Day 3
Front Squats
Hang Cleans 5x2@85%
Hanging Leg Raises
Sled Sprints

Day 4
Overhead Press
Same assistance and conditioning as Day 2

Day 5
Deadlift to heavy max triple/double/single
No additional work

So you’re deadlifting to a heavy triple etc every week?

[quote]cparker wrote:
So you’re deadlifting to a heavy triple etc every week?[/quote]

That was a red flag for me as well. You are building core lifts with your percentages and working in a deload yet you are “testing” the deadlift weekly. If you apply those percentages to your deadlift I’d say you have a routine worth running. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

[quote]cparker wrote:
I don’t see anything wrong with that in itself, but it doesn’t fit the setup of the rest of your program. The other thing is that you have too much accessory work (in my opinion at least). That’s probably going to be harder to recover from than anything else.

I’ve had good (well for me at least) results deadlifting heavy every week, until a couple of weeks ago I was doing 1/3/5/5 all with pretty much maximum weight I could manage, and before that I’d do ‘clusters’, so heavy singles with 1min rest between each single and 5 mins between two sets of around 3-5 reps in total. Interested to know why you guys see this sort of approach as a bad thing?

[quote]HARA wrote:

[quote]cparker wrote:

That was a red flag for me as well. You are building core lifts with your percentages and working in a deload yet you are “testing” the deadlift weekly. If you apply those percentages to your deadlift I’d say you have a routine worth running. Good luck and let us know how it goes. [/quote]

I’ve gone from 515-550 conventional and 520-565 sumo in the last 4-5 months by deadlifting to a max single on a weekly/biweekly basis. I feel like I can recover from it. Main reason for doing so is because I hate pulling deadlifts for reps, especially high volume. I feel like LBBS and accessory work build the muscles used in both sumo and conventional fine. Since I’m squatting 2x a week I don’t want to do volume DL work.

[quote]amayakyrol wrote:

I’ve gone from 515-550 conventional and 520-565 sumo in the last 4-5 months by deadlifting to a max single on a weekly/biweekly basis. I feel like I can recover from it. Main reason for doing so is because I hate pulling deadlifts for reps, especially high volume. I feel like LBBS and accessory work build the muscles used in both sumo and conventional fine. Since I’m squatting 2x a week I don’t want to do volume DL work.[/quote]

I feel pretty similarly to you in this regard, and so far it seems to be working for me too (gone from 500lb-600lb in 10 months). I do some higher rep (10 rep x 3 sets) stiff legged defecit deadlifts too on another day but I don’t mind them for reps, not normal deadlifts though. Still interested as to why some people see this as a bad thing though?

If it’s working then I see no reason not to do it, but then why not squat and bench to heavy max triple/double/single?

Another thing, what’s up with all the hang cleans?

Ya I wasn’t saying its a bad idea necessarily, just wanted to make sure that was your plan. I think alot of people can pull that off, my personal approach to deadlift is to get stronger in variations and alternate my heavy weeks. But it sounds like its been working well for so I’d stick with it.

[quote]chris_ottawa wrote:
If it’s working then I see no reason not to do it, but then why not squat and bench to heavy max triple/double/single?

Another thing, what’s up with all the hang cleans? [/quote]

Because that doesn’t work for me. My front squat goes up fine when I do that, but I’ve made more progress on both back squat variations by doing a lot of relatively light and fast submaximal training. I’ve rarely done rep work on the squat for over 350, but I still managed to increase it a good 40lbs recently.

The hang cleans are for explosive work. My routine is strength based, but with a secondary focus on athleticism and tertiary focus on upperbody bodybuilding.

I prefer full cleans to power cleans. I’m training hang and block cleans specifically for a couple months to improve my speed under the bar.

The main purpose of the conditioning work is to improve speed-strength and explosiveness as well while improving my endurance for whenever I opt to play basketball.