T Nation

Routine Critique - Yates Inspired

I’ve had limited equipment for the last year and will have access to a great gym with everything I need in a week. I put this program together after a little research, I want a basic, strong bodybuilding split, let me know if it looks alright or if I need to make some changes:

Monday: Chest/biceps/triceps

DB incline press - ramp up to 1x6-8 then 1x8-12
DB flies - 1x6-8, 1x8-12
Pec deck/cable crossovers - 1xBurnout (just to get some blood flowing in)

Standing EZ bar curls - Ramp to 1x6-8
Preacher curls - 1x8-12
Low pulley curls/cable curls - 1xBurnout

Skullcrushers - ramp to 1x6-8
Pushdowns - 1x8-12, 1xBurnout

Tuesday: Legs

Squats - ramp to 1x4-6, 1x8-12
Machine hack squats - 1x8-12, 1xBurnout
Leg curls - 1x6-8, 1x8-12
Calf raises - 1x6-8, 1xburnout
Abs - 2 sets

Thursday: Delts/Back

Standing barbell press - ramp to 1x6-8, 1x8-12
Lateral raises - 1x6-12
Machine lateral raises - 1xBurnout

Pulldowns - ramp to 1x6-8, 2x8-12
Cable or t-bar rows - 1x6-8, 1x8-12
Pullups or pulldowns - 1xBurnout

5’11, 212lbs, 18% bodyfat. Grateful for any help, thanks!

Just me talking but I would ramp to a set of 3 for the strength aspect. You have a set of 4 in there for lege but everything else is 8-12. Hypertrophy range boardering on endurance training. What are your goals???

Personally only 3 days a week would not be okay for me. And a lot of the big guys on here train 5-7 days a week.

Unfortunately my new gym is on campus and that is 30-45 minutes away, so I’ll only be in there 3 times a week, on the days of my classes. I do have a barbell and adjustable dumbells with 100lbs of plates which I will make use of on other days as I already am. With that I’ll be able to do some forearm/arm training, abs, laterals, etc, but the 3 main workouts are what I’m worried about.

My goals are size and strength, in that order. I’m not a small guy, I’ve built up a somewhat decent base, I think, but I’m still a beginner so back to the basics…

The way I understand it 6-8 is still a good rep range for strength gains, good for strength and size, so I put that as my hardest set for most exercises. I’ve done alot of training with 5 or less reps and found it simply inferior for mass gains, I NEVER put any mass on my delts, arms, etc until I started working above 6 reps.

Squats are definitely a power exercise, the exercise I intend to make the most gains with as far as strength goes, so that’s why I chose 4-6 for that. My intensity is high in training, on my ‘heavy’ sets I go about as close to failure as I can get, just for reference.

I’d like to keep a higher rep(8-12) set for most of my exercises, but if you think I need to be doing less reps and more weight for the first set, I can do that, let me know.

You want to focus on legs, yet you put it in on the 2nd day of the week - why?

You want to focus on legs, but the number of sets/exercises and your volume is horrid - why?

I was in your place when I was your age, in wanting to put more size on my legs. I did it by hitting legs two to three times a week and my volume was through the roof. 1-2 sets of 3 exercises or so is not going to cut it by any stretch of the imagination.

In all honesty, your workout is only “fair” if you’re on vacation for a week and having to get something in at a hotel “fitness center”, but that’s about it.

I’d tell you what to change, but the battery is going dead in my laptop… In the meantime, look for CT’s article from a few years back about the “cure to chicken legs” or something like that… That’ll give you a better idea of the kind of volume you need to put some mass on your legs…

Depending on your level of experience, you may not be able to generate enough intensity in those few sets for growth. I tried something similar and found out that even though I was at failure I did not feel as if the muscle had been completely exhausted after just 1 set. I believe its along the same principles that they say you shouldn’t do DC unless you have years of training already.

To make this program work I feel you would need to push to failure or beyond (with the help of a spotter or negatives) on such little volume especially if lifting 3 days a week b/c you’ll have plenty of time for recovery. Perhaps add another heavy set on the main exercises. And if your legs are lagging perhaps substitute deadlifts for pulldowns.

[quote]spooln6 wrote:
Depending on your level of experience, you may not be able to generate enough intensity in those few sets for growth. I tried something similar and found out that even though I was at failure I did not feel as if the muscle had been completely exhausted after just 1 set. I believe its along the same principles that they say you shouldn’t do DC unless you have years of training already.

To make this program work I feel you would need to push to failure or beyond (with the help of a spotter or negatives) on such little volume especially if lifting 3 days a week b/c you’ll have plenty of time for recovery. Perhaps add another heavy set on the main exercises. And if your legs are lagging perhaps substitute deadlifts for pulldowns.[/quote]

x2 Dorian actually says in his book do 2 sets if new to this type of training

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I don’t want to focus on legs, they grow just fine from squats, I just want them to get bigger while increasing my squat. I don’t want a squat program or a leg program, just enough stimulus on that day to grow and get stronger.

So basically its not enough work for the low frequency, and I’m not strong enough for 1-2 intense sets to be effective… tell me if this looks better, heavy sets done to failure(except back squats):

Monday: Chest/biceps/triceps

DB incline press - ramp up to 2x6-8 then 1x8-12
DB flies - 2x6-8, 1x8-12
Pec deck/cable crossovers - 1xBurnout (just to get some blood flowing in)

Standing EZ bar curls - Ramp to 2x6-8
Preacher curls - 1x8-12
Low pulley curls/cable curls - 1xBurnout

Skullcrushers - ramp to 2x6-8
Pushdowns - 1x8-12, 1xBurnout

Tuesday: Legs

Squats - ramp to 2x4-6, 2x8-12
Machine hack squats - 2x6-12, 1xBurnout
Leg curls - 2x6-8, 1x8-12
Calf raises - 2x6-8, 1xburnout
Abs - 2 sets

Thursday: Delts/Back

Standing barbell press - ramp to 2x6-8, 1x8-12
Lateral raises - 2x6-12
Machine lateral raises - 1xBurnout

Pulldowns - ramp to 2x6-8, 2x8-12
Cable or t-bar rows - 2x6-8, 1x8-12
Pullups or pulldowns - 1xBurnout

No regular bench, or dips, or decline bench?