Routine Critique: From Bulking to Cutting

Wanted to get some advice on my current routine and some recommendations as well. I have been bulking but after this month I want to cut a little. Not sure exactly what bf% I’m at if I had to guess I’d say 12-14ish? I’m 5’11 193 and just want to drop maybe 5-8 lbs or so would be my best guess for bikini season.

Currently not doing any cardio, just start my workouts with a 5 min warm up on the treadmill so maybe just adding some and change of diet will get me to my goal but looking for any advice you have to offer.

Currently doing 2 days on 1 off 2 days on 2 off

Day 1 Chest:
Flat bench: 5 x 5
Incline bench: 3 x 5
Incline dumbells: 3 x 5
Flies: 3 x 8
Pullovers: 3 x 8

Day 2 Back/bis:
Pull downs: 3 x 8
Bent over rows: 3 x 8
Upright rows: 3 x 8
Shrugs: 3 x 5
Barbell curls: 4 x 6
Hammer curls: 3 x 5
Preacher curls: 3 x 5
Seated incline curls: 3 x 8

Day 3 off

Day 4 shoulders/tris
Seated military press barbell: 3 x 5
Seated press dumbells: 3 x 12
Front raises: 3 x 8
Side raises: 3 x 12
Skull crushers: 3 x 8
Overhead extensions: 3 x 5
Kickbacks: 3 x 12
Dips: 3 x 12

Day 4
Squats: 3 x 5
Deadlifts: 1 x 5
Flat bench: 3 x 5
Decline bench: 3 x 8
Dumbell curls: 3 x 12
Hammer curls: 3 x 8

I do abs a couple of times a week at the end of my workout. Was doing legs on day 4 instead of the additional chest/bi work but I have been playing ball the day after and my legs were getting really tired and shin splints were acting up so just letting them get some rest.

Thanks

I can relate with the shin splints. I can’t do calf sets for more than 10 reps or so.

If your BF% is 12-14 you should be able to see the outline of some abs. If you can’t see any abs you’re probably around 18%.

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/performance_training/the_shut_up_program_a_simple_and_effective_split&cr=performanceTraining

This split program is a lot like yours but better.

If you want to get better at baseball, you should consider the Westside For Skinny Bastards Program. You can find it at EliteFTS.com’s Article section. It’s a pretty damn good program for high-school and even college and pro athletes. Joe Defranco, the guy who wrote this program, has trained a lot of college, pro, and elite high school athletes. He got one 170lb baseball player who had a 40’ Box Jump to be 195lbs, have a 525lb squat and a 56’ Box Jump I think less than a year. So that program is pretty legit.

If you’re interested mostly in just getting jacked, you could check out DoggCrapp training. Despite the name, it’s actually one of the best Bodybuilding programs out there.

If you want to lose fat, you need to eat more frequently and eat protein with every meal. You probably need to eat more than you do in order to get lean.

Thanks for the advice. I will check out the article you provided. My baseball days are over just playing softball now as sad as it is. As far as my bf% I have definition in my abs but less in the lower ab department. Just looking to get a little more definition throughout since summer is here. My diet is not bad but since I’ve been trying to put on weight I do eat some crap but I am eating about 3-4 full meals a day and supplementing protein 3 times a day on top of that. Going to try my best to cut out some of the junk I eat though. I think McD’s is calling me now…

Just curious. Did you recommend these two programs as just general improvements over what I’m currently doing or recommendations for switching what I’m doing now to more of a cutting routine?