T Nation

Routine Critique, Fat Loss & Muscle Gaim

I'm 5 foot 11 1/2 inches tall, weigh 177 pounds, body fat % unknown can barely see a couple of my abs. I started lifting last august starting weight about 150 pounds and I bulked up 27 pounds in about a year. Now i still want to get a little bigger but i want to loose body fat, preferably simultaneously. This is where i would greatly appreciate some advice/critiquing/ any helpful information! I plan on achieving my goals by eating approximately the same amount as my DEE. I calculated my DEE to about 3450 calories.

Im planning on eating about 300 grams of protein a day, 325 grams of carbs, and 105 grams of fat. I'll try to spread it out across the day into 4 meals and a couple snacks. I'll drink a protein shake after working out consisting of about 440 calories, 56 grams of protein, 11 grams of fat, and 27 grams of carbs approx. I also take a preworkout supplement, right now Hemo Rage Black Ultra Concentrate, and Bullet Proof before going to sleep on days i work out.

I was wondering if it would be best to drink casein protein before going to sleep because i want to gain muscle, or would it be best not to since i am trying to loose fat?

My gameplan for working out is:

Day 1: Heavy lifting Chest, Triceps and Shoulders. I will do about 3 or 4 different lifts for each body part so 4 chest, 3 triceps, 3 shoulders. each lift i will do 4 sets 4-8 reps the last one or two sets to failure. Some abs excercises at end of workout. I will also do alactic work, sprints, on this day.

Day 2:Heavy lifting Back and Biceps. I will do about 5 lifts for back each consisting of 4 sets 4-8 reps and then 3 lifts for biceps each also consisting of 4 sets 4-8 reps.

Day 3: Lactate inducing work (circuit training, and ill do 3 circuits) and 20 to 30 min. of cardio at the end of the work out (usually elliptical or bike, i have patellar tendentious in my knees and it acts up when i jog)

Day 4: off day

Day 5:Heavy lifting Legs. 4 lifts quadriceps, 4 lifts hamstrings, 2 lifts calfs. Each lift 4 sets 4-8 reps. Some abs exercises at end of workout.

Day 6: same as day 3

Day 7: off day

What do you think of my routine? any information i'm missing? any helpful feedback (on nutrition or work out routine) would be extremely appreciated!!!!!!!! do you think this will be effective in loosing fat, while also gaining muscle?

I think what you will find is that it is easier to do one or the other. Either lose fat or gain muscle. Since you are new, you could take advantage of that and possibly do both at the same time. In that case, I would recommend Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program. You can find an interview by him by searching "starting strength" and you can find the workout here: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/most_lifters_are_still_beginners

I would also stick to tried and true work out plans unless you know what you are doing. This site has hundreds of work out plans and diets to choose from, just choose and go. I will let the more experienced lifters chime in now since I am fairly new myself. Good luck.

just pick a proven routine and give it time to work

It's VERY hard to lose fat/gain muscle at the same time. There's an old saying-you can't ride two horses with one ass.

At the most basic levels, gaining weight (even muscle) and losing weight (fat) are opposite processes. With that being said, while cutting for sprint footbal (172 lb weight limit), I've been able to maintain most of my muscle and even gain strength by really focusing on the heavy hitting movements. I've generally used a carb cycling approach, with most carbs coming during breakfast, post workout shake, and the meal right after my PWO drink.

As far as training goes, I've used an Upper/Lower split that looks like:
Mon-Upper (Moderate Carb)
Tues-Lower/Sled Work (High Carb)
Wed-Sprints/Core (Low Carb)
Thurs-Upper (Moderate Carb)
Fri-Lower/Sled Work (High Carb)
Sat-Sprints/Core (Low Carb)
Sun-Active Recovery/NEPA (Low Carb)

HOnestly, different systems work better for different people though. What you have doesn't look terrible by any means, so give it a try, tweak things as you see fit and honestly assess results at the end. Take pictures and measurements at the beginning/end and objectively look for the differences. Record keeping is honestly a huge part of a successful diet.

PM me if you have more questions, I'm not terribly good about revisiting threads

It's VERY hard to lose fat/gain muscle at the same time. There's an old saying-you can't ride two horses with one ass.

At the most basic levels, gaining weight (even muscle) and losing weight (fat) are opposite processes. With that being said, while cutting for sprint footbal (172 lb weight limit), I've been able to maintain most of my muscle and even gain strength by really focusing on the heavy hitting movements. I've generally used a carb cycling approach, with most carbs coming during breakfast, post workout shake, and the meal right after my PWO drink.

As far as training goes, I've used an Upper/Lower split that looks like:
Mon-Upper (Moderate Carb)
Tues-Lower/Sled Work (High Carb)
Wed-Sprints/Core (Low Carb)
Thurs-Upper (Moderate Carb)
Fri-Lower/Sled Work (High Carb)
Sat-Sprints/Core (Low Carb)
Sun-Active Recovery/NEPA (Low Carb)

HOnestly, different systems work better for different people though. What you have doesn't look terrible by any means, so give it a try, tweak things as you see fit and honestly assess results at the end. Take pictures and measurements at the beginning/end and objectively look for the differences. Record keeping is honestly a huge part of a successful diet.

PM me if you have more questions, I'm not terribly good about revisiting threads

thanks for the advice guys! ima jus try to loose fat now