Routine Critique, Based on 531 for Hardgainers

thanks for the input guys. I will keep you guys’ advice in mind. The main thing I’m looking for from a 531 program is somthing where you hit every lift twice a week…this is the closest I could come to it. If it fails then I guess I’ll just follow the template

Beginner or not, doesn’t the philosophy that higher rep work builds muscle?

Why is 6 back to back an issue? recovery?

Respect your opinion sir. I’ll keep a log on here and progress, if it doesn’t work then I’ll follow the template better

Which builds more muscle: 1 set of 8, or 10 sets of 5?

10 sets of 5…because its more total sets

I mean I’m not a COMPLETE beginner…

Through that you can see that rep range is only part of the equation.

1 Like

There are lots of these, particularly in Forever.

I improv to fit my goals, as well as what is thought of as necessary for gaining muscle (high volume)

That class you just showed in your response to me has earned you bonus points. Nice seeing class in young men of your age. Don’t see it very often.

2 Likes

Sure. That’s why he programs the assistance for higher reps even for beginners, but seems to go with easier stuff like body weight work or dumbbell stuff. But he wants them to learn how to perform quality reps with the big lifts, so a governor is applied to those.

1 Like

That program is much lower in total volume than what you’ve written. Aside from day 7, I don’t see anywhere in your program that you’re allowing the muscles to rest and recover.

Will you be addressing load by chance?

1 Like

1 idea at a time, haha. Right now this is just another critique that isn’t actually looking for a critique.

4 Likes

That happens on here?

6 Likes

I’d have to see CT’s routine to make a judgement. I suspect that the volume per day is relatively low. Naturals definitely do better with higher frequency, just not frequency and volume together.

Young people have a tendency to go overboard with volume and frequency(I definitely did, and I still pay for it today, with the long term toll on my body).

The beauty of 5/3/1 is that its a foolproof method for advancement especially in strength for experienced beginners and intermediate lifters. You can do extra for work beyond the bare minimum for hypertrophy. This can always be tailored up or down according to the individuals capacity and their goal.
Lifting 6 days a week most guys are going to hit a plateau in strength and hypertrophy very soon. You may feel like your putting in the work, but you probably won’t be getting the results.

If you haven’t done the basic routine first, to judge how effective it is for you, then there is no point doubling up for a super routine just yet.
Recovery is just as important for a natural as the lifting is. A guy on gear doesn’t have to worry as much because he just injects more androgens and he recovers, rather than your body having to generate it. Too much hard work you will actually supress your body’s ability to generate these hormones.

1 Like

Can I just make a simple suggestion?

If you aren’t going to share specifics like height/weight, age, training experience/age, diet, and specific goals, then you are going to get all kinds of varying advice.