Routine Check

I am about to go on vacation for like two weeks, part of which I will be on a cruise ship where hopefully they will have a weight room.

The routine I am currently doing has myself doing Bench Press and B/O rows, Squats and Chin-Ups, Deadlifts and Shoulder Press, and then dips and ab work all on the same day.

Some advice I had got on that routine was to split up days for Squats and Deads.

I also wanted to start doing some sort of olympic lifts.

So i made up a new routine and it goes as follows…

Workout A: *Bench Press superset w/ Bent-Over rows 10x3 or 4
*Squats superset w/ Chin-Ups 10x3 or 4
*Lunges and Ab Work
*DB Rows and Dips
*DB Flyes and Leg Press

Workout B: *Deads superset w/ BB Shoulder Press 10x3,4, or 5
*Hang Clean and Press superset w/ Cable Rows 4x6
*Stiff Leg Deads superset w/ Upright Rows
-Still looking for a couple more exercises to go with this workout. Probably some calf work

Workout C: *Hang Clean and Press to Front Squat 10x3 or 4
*Deadlifts superset w/Chin-ups 5x5
*Bench Press superset w/ Lunges, 4 sets
*Dips superset w/ B/O Rows, 4x8-10
*Calf and Ab work

Say I started this routine on a Monday, the week would look like this:

Monday: Workout A
Tuesday: Workout B
Wednesday: Off, Cardio
Thursday: Workout C
Friday: Off
Saturday: Workout A
Sunday: Workout B
Then I would have an off/cardio day on the next monday and do workout C on Tuesday…

Do you think if I eat a hella ton of food that this routine will put out some good results?

I know there are a lot of post about people’s routines… but its just nice to hear some other people’s 2 cents.

I appreciate any comments at all, any changes that should be made.

Thank You for your time.

J.P.

no one likes me… haha

Any comments at all?

[quote]BeBig828 wrote:
no one likes me… haha

Any comments at all?[/quote]

Have you ever tried too pull something similar out? How does this routine compare to the ones you already did in terms of volume and frequency per body part? Have you squatted/deadlifted before with any serious volume/intesity, like, say, one workout heavy (10x3) and one medium (4x6)?

If I was able to do as much as you suggested, I would be very happy. But it not the matter of what I or you would like to be able to do. It is about how much you can tolerate and how much you actually needed.

Take a look at your weekly Squat volume:

*Squats 10x3 or 4
*Lunges and Ab Work
*Front Squat 10x3 or 4
*Lunges, 4 sets

In the same week, you will do the following DL variants:

*Deads 10x3,4, or 5
*Hang Clean 4x6
*Stiff Leg Deads
*Deadlifts 5x5

In my book, this is way too much. Just the lower body volume is more than some seasoned Bulgarian OL routine, or Sheiko squat routine. And that’s with not even mentioning your upper body. Now, if you already did something like this before, accept my apologies. But, it seems to me you simply lumped up two different routines together.

what he said. more info needed though. have fun finding a platform on vacation…

[quote]BeBig828 wrote:
I am about to go on vacation for like two weeks, part of which I will be on a cruise ship where hopefully they will have a weight room.

The routine I am currently doing has myself doing Bench Press and B/O rows, Squats and Chin-Ups, Deadlifts and Shoulder Press, and then dips and ab work all on the same day.

Some advice I had got on that routine was to split up days for Squats and Deads.

I also wanted to start doing some sort of olympic lifts.

So i made up a new routine and it goes as follows…

Workout A: *Bench Press superset w/ Bent-Over rows 10x3 or 4
*Squats superset w/ Chin-Ups 10x3 or 4
*Lunges and Ab Work
*DB Rows and Dips
*DB Flyes and Leg Press

Workout B: *Deads superset w/ BB Shoulder Press 10x3,4, or 5
*Hang Clean and Press superset w/ Cable Rows 4x6
*Stiff Leg Deads superset w/ Upright Rows
-Still looking for a couple more exercises to go with this workout. Probably some calf work

Workout C: *Hang Clean and Press to Front Squat 10x3 or 4
*Deadlifts superset w/Chin-ups 5x5
*Bench Press superset w/ Lunges, 4 sets
*Dips superset w/ B/O Rows, 4x8-10
*Calf and Ab work

Say I started this routine on a Monday, the week would look like this:

Monday: Workout A
Tuesday: Workout B
Wednesday: Off, Cardio
Thursday: Workout C
Friday: Off
Saturday: Workout A
Sunday: Workout B
Then I would have an off/cardio day on the next monday and do workout C on Tuesday…

Do you think if I eat a hella ton of food that this routine will put out some good results?

I know there are a lot of post about people’s routines… but its just nice to hear some other people’s 2 cents.

I appreciate any comments at all, any changes that should be made.

Thank You for your time.

J.P.[/quote]

Man Love the go get them attitude but this is way way to much. Remember you can change up your routine and do diffrent lifts when your done with your first program. The propblem is not that you selected wrong lifts it that you choose too many.

For exaple Work out A you have 10 exercises! Keep the quat loose the leg press. Drop the DB rows, you have bent over rows already.

Work out B: Dont superset anything with Deads, Deads are tiring. You dont need to do stiff legs also. Get rid of upright row, your going to work your traps and back with the deads already. Also as awesome as hang cleans are this is a very energy intensive lift as well, I would not do it the same day as deads.

Workout C: Front squat and hang cleans? Hang cleans inncorporate a front squat in the movement already. And again I wouldnt superset deads.

If you want a really good example of how to match exercises for supersets search for Christian Thibaudeau’s Mutation Series.

Good luck and dont go “over board”…hah ha see it s a joke, your going on a boat and you have to many lifts lol…ahem. later

Thank you Slotan and Jbodzin… that is the type of response I was looking for.

I am currently doing a rountine that has me exhausted but I trump through it with intensity and give it my all.

The current routine is a full body workout done every other day:

*Bench Press super set w/ B/O rows
*Squats supersetted w/ Chin-Ups
*Deads supersetted w/ BB Shoulder Press
*Then i always finish up with some dips and ab work

I choose one pairing each workout to do the 10x3,4, or 5 method on and perform this first. Then the rest of the supersets are done in 4x6, sometimes 4x8.

It is a pretty grueling thing… and i know that the lifts will suffer some from the exhaustion from the others… but i am sort of like a phobic where I have it stuck in my mind that if I dont go balls to tha walls and drain myself with every workout, that I will not get good results. I know that’s a bad way of thinking about it but I just need a little encouragement to stay motivated.

I kinda like this routine but I want to perform power cleans and stuff, but definately could not incorporate them into this workout. I am just sort of stuck in a bind in my mind on what to do.

Thank You for your time dudes…

Peace Out, J.P.

List your current stats, height, weight and what your goal is. (Strength, bodybuilding, endurence, ect.)

We might be able to help tailor your work out better.

My stats are:
6’1"
164 lbs
17 yrs old.
Goals are strength and size.

Thanks man

J.P

if you want to squat and dead lift every time you work out, as long as you can handle it thats fine. some people can only squat and deadlift once a week, some can only squat OR deadlift once a week some cant even do it at all. personally i squat and deadlift and do unilateral leg work every time i work out in my full body routine.

i have 10 movements per workout too, its a bit tiring but i can handle it. i could always swap out some stuff but then i would only be hitting certain muscle groups once a week

[quote]BeBig828 wrote:
It is a pretty grueling thing… and i know that the lifts will suffer some from the exhaustion from the others… but i am sort of like a phobic where I have it stuck in my mind that if I dont go balls to tha walls and drain myself with every workout, that I will not get good results. I know that’s a bad way of thinking about it but I just need a little encouragement to stay motivated.
[/quote]

It is not bad to have this mindset. However, you can not just keep going all out each and every workout. So, regardless of the routine and exercises you pick, you should periodize by taking one week off after 2 or 3 hard weeks. Hit it hard for those weeks, like you’re used to, and then stay out from the gym for a week.

Every workout, you can stick to this template:

A1/A2) Main 10x3 superset
B) Some new exercise you want to try
C1/C2) Additional 4x6 superset

I think it would be the best to do exercises like powercleans and the like on their own.

Your routine might end up looking like this:

Monday
A1. Squat 10x3
A2. Chin-up 10x3
B. Power Clean 5x3
C1. Dips 4x6
C2. Cable Rows 4x6

Wednesday
A1. Bench Press 10x3
A2. BB Row 10x3
B. Hang Cleans 5x3
C1. Lunges 4x6
C2. Abs (whatever)

Friday
A1. Deadlift 10x3
A2. BB OH Press 10x3
B. Front Squat 3x5
C1. DB Rows 4x6
C2. Incline DB Press 4x6

As you see, each workout is still full body. A1 and A2 exercises are harder/heavier, where you can go all-out and strive to increase reps/weight each time. On the other hand, C1 and C2 exercises are lighter, so use 8-10RM, shorter rest (1-1.5min) and don’t try to increase as often.

B exercises are the new ones you want to learn. Since these are OL movements, I’ve put them for lower reps and with longer rest.

This should be close to what you wanted. Best of luck.

[quote]slotan wrote:
B exercises are the new ones you want to learn.[/quote]

I agree for the most part. I believe that Oly lifts and those which take longer to perfect should be placed first. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Mike Robertson addressed this in the past.

[quote]chewie wrote:
slotan wrote:
B exercises are the new ones you want to learn.

I agree for the most part. I believe that Oly lifts and those which take longer to perfect should be placed first. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Mike Robertson addressed this in the past.

[/quote]

Agreed, gross movement lifts should always be done first.

Gee whiz this site is great…
Thank you Slotan, Chewie, and Jbodzin…

I will use that template that you laid out slotan and apply exercises as i see fit.

That is more than a big help.

Peace… J.P.

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
chewie wrote:
slotan wrote:
B exercises are the new ones you want to learn.

Agreed, gross movement lifts should always be done first.[/quote]

Yeah, you’re both right. I wanted to point out that A1 and A2 are main exercises of the day, but, on another look, B exercises really should be done first.

[quote]BeBig828 wrote:
Gee whiz this site is great…
Thank you Slotan, Chewie, and Jbodzin…

I will use that template that you laid out slotan and apply exercises as i see fit.

That is more than a big help.

Peace… J.P.[/quote]

Just remember to take a break after 2-3 weeks. Find an article by Jack Reape here which details why exactly it is a good idea.

Once again, good luck.

Ok guys…

I came up with a workout using that template that I would like for you to critique and pick at the flaws of it so i can make any changes as neccessary.

Workout A: *Power Clean and Jerk 5x3
A1. Squats 10x3
A2. Chin-Ups 10x3
B1. Dips 4x6
B2. Bent Over Rows 4x6
-quick ab and calf work at the end.

Workout B: *Hang Clean 5x3
A1. Deadlifts 10x3
A2. BB OH Press 10x3
B1. Bench Press 4x6
B2. Cable Rows 4x6
-quick ab/ calf work at the end

Workout C: *Power Clean 5x3
A1. Bench Press 10x3
A2. Chin-Ups 10x3
B1. BB or DB Lunges 4x6
B2. Weighted Hypers 4x6
-quick ab/ bicep work at the end

Please let me know what you think of it and if there needs to be any changes.
I appreciate your time greatly and Thank You.

J.P.

That looks pretty good to me, should take about 1 hr to do, just make sure you have appropriate rest periods.

Question: You have some pretty complicated lifts IMO (ie Clean and jerk, hang cleans), have you done these before? Do you have someone to show you how to do them?

If not practice with the bar for awhile.

I have a little experience with cleans and stuff from when i used to be in weight lifting class in high school a couple years back… I have been watching videos and am planning on taking one day when i get home from vacation to spend some time in the gym experimenting with form and what weight i will be using on the lifts. Thanks for your time man… You have all been a big help.

J.P.

This is something you may want to check out. There is a lot of good information contained here:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=640350

Some things you may want to consider:

In some cases it is beneficial to pair a compound lift with one that is less taxing on your system. I have seen Poliquin and others pair squats with leg curls. (Just an example)

Dips and Pull-ups pair very nicely as do bent over rows and bench. The set ups are similar and you can consider them in opposing planes.

You may consider snatch, high pulls, jump squats, speed bench, etc for other lifts to begin your work out.

There needs to be some periodization.

After a couple months you may want to consider training with singles or a body part split, or whatever. Change it up a bit.

You have a good selection of lifts.

Good Luck

Thanks for that link Chewie…

You guys have been a great help.

Just couple more quick questions.

*How long should the rest periods be between sets for the OL lifts, the 10x3 supersets, and the 4x6 supersets? Because i know on the 4x6 with bench, I have to take 2.5-3 mins if i want to peform the next set well.

*I just cant seem to find a solid answer about what i should be eating before HIIT and how long before to avoid any muscle catabolism. Scrawny to Brawny advocates doing HIIT but does not touch on the pre cardio nutrition. I know to have a recovery drink afterwards though. Or is constant paced cardio a better option while bulking?

Thanks guys… J.P.