Routine Building

Hey, Im relatively new to weightlifting and decided it would be best to design my own routine rather than follow a pre-designed one. So i thought over it and decided it would best to post it on here so i can get the experts opinion on it.

A)
(Reps x Sets)
Deadlift (5x5)
Military press (5x5)
Pullups (7x3)
Pec flys (8x3)
Bicep Curls (8x3) (DB)
Tricep Extention (8x3) (DB)
Abdominal Work at home involving crunches etc.

B)

Squat (5x5)
bench (5x5)
bent-over row (8x3)
Shoulder Press or Lat. Raises (8x3)
Bicep Curls (On a barbell) (8x3)
French Press (Barbell)(8x3)
Abdominal Work at home involving crunches etc.

Seriously guys, any input what-so-ever would be great because so far ive been ignored on other sites. Even a “This Program Sucks” so i know to look inot it even more.

Cheers.

Why do you think this is better than a pre-designed plan? There are many beginner plans that will indeed work, are time tested by well-qualified intelligent trainers who spent lots of time and effort in their design. As opposed to someone who is relatively new to the game. Just use the search button at the top of the page and go to work.

It is difficult to critique a plan, even to say “This program sucks”, when you haven’t stated your goals, fitness level, how new you are, whether the A, B programs are M-S or MWF or whatever the frequency of your workout plan is.

Give some more details.

Ah dammit, sorry i was rushing it.

I work out every Mon, Wednesday and friday and im rotating wokrout A and B around that eg, mon-A Wed-B Fri-A. Ive been at it about a year now. I aim to gain some strength mostly. Thats probably my most long term goal right now.

The reason i have to go with a routine i designed is because my schedule is extremely erratic so i have to choose exercises that suit two gyms because of me having to switch most of the time. So the routines i looked at that were pre-made had some exersizes that i couldnt do at both gyms. Even at that, this routine is pushing it as some of the exercises cant be done to the full potential.

As for the program itself, Rest period is about a minute on the Heavy sets (5x5) and about 30-40 seconds on the (8x3)

Hi Dunamis,

First, just as a point of reference, usually you cite your set/rep schemes with your sets first, and your reps second (example 8x3 means 8 sets of 3 reps). Now I know that you stated before hand which number was which, but the format used by the vast majority on this site places those variables in the order I stated above. Once again, just a semantics issue.

Second, I would suggest switching your “pec flys” exercise to a different compound exercise that involves the pecs. Say for instance dips, or incline bench, or decline bench, or heck even DB bench. As those exercises tend to be better at putting on mass than flys.

Third, you mentioned in “A” that you do tricep extentions and in “B” that you do French presses. What do you mean by tricep extentions?

Good training,

Sentoguy

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Hi Dunamis,

First, just as a point of reference, usually you cite your set/rep schemes with your sets first, and your reps second (example 8x3 means 8 sets of 3 reps). Now I know that you stated before hand which number was which, but the format used by the vast majority on this site places those variables in the order I stated above. Once again, just a semantics issue.[/quote]

Ah ok.

Yeh i think ill stick in incline DB Bench. Cheers.

Ah… now, this is where i had to guess the name of the exercise as everyone i asked didnt know what to call it. So i just looked about and named it after this pictures name.

www.philkaplan.com/transformpages/exerciseillustrations/lyingtricepextensionwdb.jpg

Hi Dunamis,

Ok, I checked out that picture. That’s basically what I thought you meant. Wasn’t sure though. Thanks for the clarification.

Good luck and good training,

Sentoguy