Routine Advice

Hi, ive been training seriously for about 2 years but didnt have that much info when i began, ive used mostly traditional bodybuilding splits with no real focus on strenght, it worked though. I used to weight 149lb with a 25% bf and now im sitting at arround 160 with a 10-12%bf.

Right now I want a routine to slowly add some lean mass but one that doesnt totally neglect strenght.
I’ve been thinking of doing the following:

My lifts now:
OHP: 88
Bench: 185
Dead: 242
Squat: 220

BACK
5x5 deadlift(how to progress on these?)
4x6 weighted wide pullups
4x8 bent over row
3x10/12 back extension
50 shoulder width pullups
some core exercises(like to mix them up)

CHEST/BICEPS
5x5 incline bench
3x6 weighted dips
3x8 low pulley crossover
3x10/12 pullover
50 pushups
3x6/8 straight bar curl
3x8/10 high cable curl
3x10/12 hammer curl

LEGS
5x5 squats
5x6/10 leg press
5x6/10 leg curl
50 bw squats
4x10 leg press calf
4x15 one leg calf raise
some core exercises

SHOULDER/TRICEPS
5x5 ohp
3x8 handstand pushup
4x10 lateral raise
4x12 bent over lateral raise
50 pike pushup
3x6/8 close grip bench
3x8/10 skullcrushers
3x10/12 rope pressdown
core

Any and all criticism is welcome!
Thanks t nation!

for bodybuilding purposes I wouldn’t have two low rep strength exercises. So do your first exercise 5x5 or whatever then have your accessory higher reps.

So incline bench 5x5 (or whatever), then a dumbbell press (or whatever) for 8-12 reps after. See what I mean?

my routine currently looks like:

glutes/hamstrings
chest/biceps
off
quads/calves
shoulders/triceps
back
off
repeat

I do rack pulls as my last movement on my back day, instead staring with rows and pull downs/chins.

chest day is centered around incline BB, DB floor press, and machine presses (no flies, DC stretch at the end)

arms are trained in 6-8 rep range.

shoulder day’s primary focus is DB laterals and rear delts, pressing comes last (a la John Meadows)

I do separate legs, because they are an enormous muscle group… do you expect to be able to train your glutes (largest muscle in your body) along with your quads (another massive muscle), and your hamstrings (another massive muscle), effectively all in one workout?

by the time im done with squats and leg press, im running on fumes… so hamstrings get neglected. In the same way, if I start with hamstrings, my squatting strength suffers.

just some thoughts

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

glutes/hamstrings
chest/biceps
off
quads/calves
shoulders/triceps
back
off
repeat

I do rack pulls as my last movement on my back day, instead staring with rows and pull downs/chins.

chest day is centered around incline BB, DB floor press, and machine presses (no flies, DC stretch at the end)

shoulder day’s primary focus is DB laterals and rear delts, pressing comes last (a la John Meadows)

I do separate legs, because they are an enormous muscle group… do you expect to be able to train your glutes (largest muscle in your body) along with your quads (another massive muscle), and your hamstrings (another massive muscle), effectively all in one workout?

by the time im done with squats and leg press, im running on fumes… so hamstrings get neglected. In the same way, if I start with hamstrings, my squatting strength suffers.

just some thoughts[/quote]

do you perform db floor presses with pronated grip or neutral grip?

[quote]Gorillakiv83 wrote:

glutes/hamstrings
chest/biceps
off
quads/calves
shoulders/triceps
back
off
repeat

do you perform db floor presses with pronated grip or neutral grip?
[/quote]

either pronated or halfway between pronated and neutral. everyone is different, so do whatever allows you do feel your chest better.

ive found that neutral grip tends to hit my triceps more

start back from the basics: do a basic 5x5 routine

When you squat 315, bench 225, and deadlift 405, move on to Layne Norton’s PHAT

[quote]Yogi wrote:
for bodybuilding purposes I wouldn’t have two low rep strength exercises. So do your first exercise 5x5 or whatever then have your accessory higher reps.

So incline bench 5x5 (or whatever), then a dumbbell press (or whatever) for 8-12 reps after. See what I mean?[/quote]

Yeah, thats a great suggestion, whats your opinion on doing a 12-15 reps set?
To increase vascularity.

glutes/hamstrings
chest/biceps
off
quads/calves
shoulders/triceps
back
off
repeat

Thanks for the input man, the problem for me is my legs grow very easily and training them twice a week they would overpower the rest of my phisique, and besides, losing pants sucks haha
About the john meadows shoulder training, did you have a good strenght base with the ohp before starting it?

[quote]shadowbobo8028 wrote:
start back from the basics: do a basic 5x5 routine

When you squat 315, bench 225, and deadlift 405, move on to Layne Norton’s PHAT[/quote]

Yeah, i tried PHAT once, really liked, im a high volume lover, guess my with being closer to being an endomorph, my energy levels are great, didnt have such a good strenght base tho, ill sure try it again when i get stronger and my schedule allows it.
About the 5x5 basic routine: is very hard for me to do the on/off/on approach, and i do better on splits, even if it is a push/pull, i can really take the volume and fullbody just is as effective for me, any suggestions on this routine or maybe another basic 5x5 split?

[quote]pedro1597 wrote:
Right now I want a routine to slowly add some lean mass

[/quote]

This is almost entirely a function of your diet. Your training should not change if it’s working for you.