Routine Advice

I’ve been doing this 8 week program I squat bench deadlift 3 times a week I also threw in some strict presses it’s helped with my form and my deadlift went up to 470 solid , I hit a 400 deep squat and some nice pause bench reps.

I was just wondering if there’s a routine that combines powerlifting and body building??

Also thanks for the advice I bought that Texas deadlift bar I fuckin love it worth every penny !!

That’s called powerbuilding and for example I love 5/3/1 from Jim Wendler.

Josh Bryant has an E-book on powerbuilding. Doug Hepburn also had a powerbuilding routine. I’m sure both are effective.

Thanks I’ll check them out

Maybe I am out of the loop, but what is the point in combining the 2. Most power lifters should train for hypertrophy, and unless you are on 2 grams of gear and have 15 years under your build a bodybuilder should train for strength. So what is combining the 2 doing, makeing something that has been around since the 70’s. I could be totally out of the loop on bodybuilding in today’s world.

[quote]Umbrata Fortis wrote:
Maybe I am out of the loop, but what is the point in combining the 2. Most power lifters should train for hypertrophy, and unless you are on 2 grams of gear and have 15 years under your build a bodybuilder should train for strength. So what is combining the 2 doing, makeing something that has been around since the 70’s. I could be totally out of the loop on bodybuilding in today’s world.[/quote]

I heard that…

Fuck it I’m just going to stick with squat bench dead 3 times a week there’s way to much bullshit out there

IMO, if I understand the older 70’s style of bodybuilding, powerbuilding is similar to the old school method of bodybuilding. Mostly all compound lifts to put on as much muscle mass as possible keeping the weight heavy in the 3-8 rep range. Then when contest time came, they did more isolation work to shape and sculpt. I believe Arnold may have said something like this in Pumping Iron - but not 100% sure.

It really is a good way to get strong and big. There’s really no combining of anything. Stick to the basic compound movements and get bigger and stronger.

Hepburn’s powerbuilding method went like this:

8x2x80% then add 1 rep each week until you got 8x3 then add 10lbs

when 8x2 was done; in the same workout

3x6 of the same movement 20% lighter and add 1 rep each week until you got 3x8

He would do squat and deadlift twice a week and bench 4x / week.

Something like:

Mon/Thurs - squat/bench
Tues/Fri - deadlift/bench

I can’t remember exactly, but it’s something like that. He said later on he did away with the pump program in the same workout as the strength program. Ronnie Coleman did powerbuilding.

[quote]JOEDIESELDIAMOND wrote:
Fuck it I’m just going to stick with squat bench dead 3 times a week there’s way to much bullshit out there [/quote]

My friend make note of this day for it is this day that you reached enlightenment.

“Whatever works is the right answer”, Engineering credo.

Is this 8 week, 3x thing Korte? I put on like 5 lbs. BW doing Korte once.

Anyway, as stated above, what we did in the day was basically stay under 8 reps, mostly 3-6, and eat.

How can you NOT get big that way?

It’s a good routine it has helped with my form and increased my squat dead and strict press I include that to ,it just takes a lot out of me after that I go to work the graveyard shift eating is the hardest damn thing I’m a mechanic I’m always on the move hard to eat right .Thanks for all the advice plus I fuckin love deading 3 times a week !! KEEP SMASHING BROTHERS !!!

It’s a good routine it has helped with my form and increased my squat dead and strict press I include that to ,it just takes a lot out of me after that I go to work the graveyard shift eating is the hardest damn thing I’m a mechanic I’m always on the move hard to eat right .Thanks for all the advice plus I fuckin love deading 3 times a week !! KEEP SMASHING BROTHERS !!!

[/quote]

So it IS Korte. You can probably do that a zillion times and never have to change it.

EXCEPT…

I am too old to do squat and DL on the same day, especially because I rip through workouts and Korte took me like 45 minutes with all 3 lifts.

So my change, which left me fresh(ish) as a daisy was to make it a 4 workout instead of a 3 workout cycle, so each cycle would lap part of 2 weeks.

So instead of

Day1: Squat, Bench, Deads
Day2: Squat, Bench, Deads
Day3: Squat, Bench, Deads

I did

Day 1, week 1 Monday: Squat, Bench
Day 2, week 1 Wednesday: Bench, Deads
Day 3, week 1 Friday: Squat, Bench
Day 4, week 2, Monday: Bench, Deads

Start new percentages on Wednesday…rinse, repeat.

So I ended up benching at each percentage 4 times instead of 3. I could see you swapping 2 bench days for 2 military days in a 4 day cycle like mine.

Anyway, it didn’t wear me out (at the time age 54), it took like 30 minutes per workout, and I put on 5 pounds of BW which I never lost, all in one cycle.

Keep it simple like you have been.

There is so much program noise out there now, it is nearly impossible to constrain yourself, to NOT be distracted. I bet if you stick with Korte, use it as a base, make small changes here and there to meet your needs should your needs change, keep good records, don’t be afraid to experiment but do be patient, you will learn who you are as a lifter and become a monster because YOU WILL BECOME YOUR OWN HIGHLY EXPERIENCED TRAINER.

Do not be a sheep, be a wolf.

YOU ARE MY MOTHERFUCKING INSPIRATION EMSKEE !!! I hope to still be deadlifting at your age also My routine is I squat ,bench then 4sets dumbbell bench12-15 reps , deadlift then lat pull downs 4 sets 12-15 ,military press then dumbbell shrugs 4 x 12-15 then I end with hanging leg raises and dips I’ll do triceps and bis on tue or thur I’ll take sat and sun off but my main lifts are squat bench dead military strict presss. If I’m not feeling it I’ll just hit the main lifts thanks again for all your advice bro

YOU ARE MY MOTHERFUCKING INSPIRATION EMSKEE !!![/quote]

Whatever it takes, right? :slight_smile:

Carry on…