Rousey vs Tate

[quote]on edge wrote:
Hey, can someone fill me in on what it’s like recovering from one of those elbow dislocations? I dislocated my pinky a number of years ago and my pinky isn’t anywhere near what it was before. I can’t help but think those girls who got there elbows snapped by Ronda will never be the same.[/quote]

The recovery is going to depend on what is injured and how it is treated. If it was a simple dislocation and no tissues were injured either during dislocation or when it was reduced it may be a “sore” for a few weeks type of affair. Doing rehab is still important but the only lasting damage may well be a small amount of ligament laxity/marginally increased likelyhood it happens again or nothing at all.

On the other hand if any of the ligaments that hold the joint together are stretched, partially torn, or fully torn then the joint could require surgery to be stable. If any of the nerves that cross the elbow suffer trauma during the dislocation or relocation that could also be an issue. Additionally a less stable elbow can cause neuro issues do to impinging or irritating the major nerves that cross it(think of hitting your “funny bone”/radial nerve but now it is “hitting” itself or). Damage to the vasculature, especially when the dislocation is reduced would be a concern and could have serious consequences. Damage to the tendons of the muscles involved may or may not have occurred. Avulsion fracture where said tendons attach is a concern. Because of how this happens it is possible that the issue could show up more proximally(shoulder) or distally (wrist). Any of this could manifest as a re-occurring/chronic problem as well. Etc.

SHORT ANSWER/REVIEW
Could be anything from no problem to disabling with chronic injury/issue falling somewhere in the middle.

In the case of your pinkie I am guessing that some of these complications occurred.

Regards,

Robert A

Cool Rob, Will head to the thread
On ROnda vs Tate… I see tate came off on the worse end of the head barging exchange hahaha. Was actually funny her forhead was marked red afterwards lol. She instigated and Ronda finished just as I hope will happen today when they fight.

Sheesh, ROnda looks so good at the weigh in too.

She trains with the Diaz’s and their mob so irrespective of her style she’ll be there to fight.

Jesus…that girl is an absolute monster.

Ronda by armbar at 4:27 of the first. Tate is going to be out for a while, as her arm is fucked up…go figure.

My sweet sweet Ronda, well done.

I knew tate would have too much ego to do anything else.

ouccchhh

Well, now we know bullrushing Miss Rousey is probably not going to end well. We also know she has pretty good back defense. We know her top game is still 5-star for WMMA. We know she can take a couple of hard shots without crumbling.

So onto the Cyborg-Rousey matchup. What does everyone think?

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Mrs. Santos’ grappling skills aren’t on that level just yet, and based on the standup exchanges in the Carano fight, I’d say Ronda will probably be able to throw or trip her.

So it comes down to:
the 10lbs or more of lean mass she has on Ronda.
how well she can avoid the clinch and strike
whether or not she can capitalize on the top position if and when Rousey fails an armbar.

[quote]humble wrote:
ouccchhh[/quote]

Arm fully extended. Wrist control. Legs crossed under farside shoulder… equals: you’re fucked.

I give her props for attempting an escape. She did manage to free that shoulder, but by then the arm was gone.

[quote]rundymc wrote:
Well, now we know bullrushing Miss Rousey is probably not going to end well. We also know she has pretty good back defense. We know her top game is still 5-star for WMMA. We know she can take a couple of hard shots without crumbling.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Mrs. Santos’ grappling skills aren’t on that level just yet, and based on the standup exchanges in the Carano fight, I’d say Ronda will probably be able to throw or trip her.

So it comes down to:
whether or not she can capitalize on the top position if and when Rousey fails an armbar.[/quote]

When Cyborg comes back, don’t expect the same dominant female as she once was. Shes going to be under fire now. Once you fail a drug test, all eyes are on you. She won’t be as strong as she once was. But, theres a video of her wrestling Tito ortiz, so its going to be very hard for Rousey to deal with cyborg’s strength. The big question is, how much weaker will cyborg be when she comes back, no longer juiced.

[quote]roguevampire wrote:

[quote]rundymc wrote:

So it comes down to:
whether or not she can capitalize on the top position if and when Rousey fails an armbar.[/quote]

When Cyborg comes back, don’t expect the same dominant female as she once was. Shes going to be under fire now. Once you fail a drug test, all eyes are on you. She won’t be as strong as she once was. But, theres a video of her wrestling Tito ortiz, so its going to be very hard for Rousey to deal with cyborg’s strength. The big question is, how much weaker will cyborg be when she comes back, no longer juiced. [/quote]

I agree with this. If Cyborg was naturally as dominate as she was she wouldn’t have needed to juice, therefore I believe she will have a big drop off being clean. Unless she can successfully cheat under the radar.

I think last nights arm break was bad for the sport. All the hype leading into the fight brought in a lot of main stream viewers who wouldn’t have been watching otherwise. This new audience was probably put off by the mangling of that girls arm especially considering the highly publicized tension between the two and how it could be seen to be done with malice.

I also think Miesha Tate was retired from the sport last night and that’s not good for the sport. That girls stubborn refusal to tap likely lead to a worst case dislocation. It is one thing with the dislocation but that added twisting at the end… I’m afraid there’s a lot of tissue damage from that.

I see alot of people calling her a warrior for not tapping out and trying and I saw it as really dumb. If she taps her career is fine. now at a minimum its a few months of not training and setting herself way back and almost out for life. That thing was set in tight there was no way she was getting loose without Rousey letting go.

[quote]roguevampire wrote:

[quote]rundymc wrote:

So it comes down to:

When Cyborg comes back, don’t expect the same dominant female as she once was. Shes going to be under fire now. Once you fail a drug test, all eyes are on you. She won’t be as strong as she once was. But, theres a video of her wrestling Tito ortiz, so its going to be very hard for Rousey to deal with cyborg’s strength. The big question is, how much weaker will cyborg be when she comes back, no longer juiced. [/quote]

There’s also a vid of Rousey wrestling Mousasi. They both did ok given the size and skill difference.

It’ll be interesting to see how much the juice factored into Cyborg’s dominance.

[quote]punchedbear wrote:

I see alot of people calling her a warrior for not tapping out and trying and I saw it as really dumb. If she taps her career is fine. now at a minimum its a few months of not training and setting herself way back and almost out for life. That thing was set in tight there was no way she was getting loose without Rousey letting go. [/quote]

You can survive that specific armbar if you know what you’re doing, and create enough space.

Vinny Magalhaes did just that against Werdum in their ADCC finals match. Exact same setup. Legs crossed under far shoulder, arm extended. Vinny recognised that he wouldn’t be able to walk the clock and twist out (because of the crossed legs) but angled his torso to the ground.

This did two things. It took off a lot of the leverage Werdum had on the elbow, and bought him enough time to free his shoulder. In the end, he didn’t even try the clockwork escape, since Werdum had wrist control, and escaped the old fashioned way. Angling torso prevented a break when Fabricio went for the same move Ronda pulled out last night.

On the flipside, Magalhaes has some serious elbow and shoulder flexibility, and is a top tier BJJ guy. Miesha is a chick with a serviceable ground game.

I would have tapped the second I realized I couldn’t use the clockwork escape.

as somebody who has been “on” and “off” many many times for 30 years of training and competing in strength sports, I do not think their will be a huge difference (at least not as much of a change as most think) in a “clean” cyborg verses a “juiced” cyborg.

the stuff helps, no doubt, but not THAT much.

also, I guess I am just a big pussy, but man that was hard to watch. I would rather see somebody get choked unconscious than see a arm bend backwards.

that had me squirming and my but puckering.

I agree with the people who think it is bad for the sport, but considering all the crap both Rousey and that ref got for “questionable” stoppages, I cant blame either for what happened in this fight.

imagine the shit storm if RR had yelled at the ref when she felt the arm pop and the ref saw it bend back and he stopped the fight before MT tapped.

oh, and I concur, both those girls are GORGEOUS. And no, I do not think it is wrong for either them or Strikeforce to use their looks to market them.

stud male athletes who also happen to be handsome use that to market themselves all the time.

how many times has Tom Brady been on magazine covers?

funny side note:

how intimidating would it be to be RR’s boyfriend unless you were a STUD judo player yourself?

the pressure during sex would be terrible, if you did not satisfy her you just might get your ass kicked, but good. lol

[quote]rundymc wrote:

On the flipside, Magalhaes has some serious elbow and shoulder flexibility, and is a top tier BJJ guy. Miesha is a chick with a serviceable ground game.

[/quote]

how many female BJJ players are “top tier”?

is their anybody out their in WMMA that has the ground skills to defend RR’s armbar?

and is RR a one trick pony? if she gets in a fight and cant finish her opponent with an armbar, does she have anything else?

I am not suggesting anything, just a legit question to the more learned MMA guys here.

Rousey is definitely bad-ass. But she better work on that striking. I watched the fight once and what I remember from her striking is that she walks in stiff with her chin up.

Cyborg! Cyborg! Cyborg!!

I’m going to give Tate props for lasting more than one minute and managing to get out of Rousey’s first armbar attempt.

Unless you know exactly what move you’re going to do next and you’re confident enough with ground work, you DO NOT clinch with an EXPERIENCED Judoka. As a former Judoka myself, I was shaking my head in disbelief seeing her clinching, opening herself to many takedown opportunities. Her ground and pound was pretty weak, sadly. She looked totally flat, no fire in the belly. Poor striking and many missed opportunities.

There were times during clinching that she could have used an uppercut or two or knees to shake Rousey a little. A good high kick or face kick would have done good too during their stand up exchange. Meh. Not a surprising result. Oh and yeah, she should have tapped instead of playing the warrior.

Now, onto the next.

[quote]rundymc wrote:
Well, now we know bullrushing Miss Rousey is probably not going to end well. We also know she has pretty good back defense. We know her top game is still 5-star for WMMA. We know she can take a couple of hard shots without crumbling. [/quote]

I will disagree here. Tate is a poor striker, unfortunately. Maybe some of her punches made Rousey shy away during their stand up but they weren’t powerful enough to stop her. What I noticed from that fight is that Rousey doesn’t like being hit. Instead of hitting back, she fled. A solid striker would have finished her right then.

[quote]rundymc wrote:
So onto the Cyborg-Rousey matchup. What does everyone think? [/quote]

Cyborg to win.