Rousey vs Tate

I don’t follow combat much so I’m probably going to receive all kinds of flaming in the coming responses. So Be it.

RR caught my attention so I watched all her fights on YouTube and read up on the hype. Then I decided to watch some videos of her next opponent, Miesha Tate.

Whelp, I’m ready to make my prediction; another armbar in less then 1 minute. Miesha Tate is tough but she can’t strike any where near well enough to keep Ronda at bay and she’s not fast enough or explosive enough to grapple with her. Ronda carries enough fat at 145 it should be easy for her to get down to 135 without loosing much or any strength. She’s coming into this fight faster, stronger, and more aggressive. She’s like an octopus working a Rubik’s Cube with the moves. From position X do AB&C and apply armbar.

I think Tate’s only chance to last longer than 1 minute is to wrap her up and hold on. That’s about all she will be able to do and she sure won’t be able to do that for a full 5 minutes.

"Rousey kind of talked herself into a title fight. Iâ??m going to be very excited to send her where she belongs, and thatâ??s the back of the line.â??
I really hope Ronda doesn’t break that poor girls arm 'cause that shit is fucked up.

Btw, Kaufman v Rousey would be a much better fight. That girl hits like a mother fucker and her legs are so strong and with a low center of gravity, Ronda would have a tough time taking her down. I think Ronda would win but she would get fucked up pretty good.

Not really excited about this fight.

I like Tate. She’s got some experience under her belt, with good skills in wrestling and takedowns but I got a feeling this is going to end with another predictable Rousey’s armbar. If Tate wins on Saturday night, good on her. I may even show my tits in this thread as celebration. But I know that won’t happen…

What Rousey needs is a great striker that will bash her around and make her piss her pants. Someone with heart. Can she even last 5 rounds? Can she survive a gruesome ground and pound? I’d love to see what she can do when the motor starts running out of gas. So far she’s been lucky with 3 wins under 1 min ( I won’t count that other tainted victory) but there must be more from her that I’d like to see. Any fighter that can get her in trouble will be in my good book. Will it be Meisha? Not sure about that.

Now, Cyborg Santos v Rousey is what I’m eagerly awaiting.

I was going to make some comments on tate.
but the thought of DN tits being exposed in this thread -
has driven any intelligible thoughts from my head.

carry on

actually I wanted to see Cormier vs barnett.
dang.

I have the sinking feeling that if on one hand Tate trouncing Rousey gets DarkNinjaa bare chested then we are going to wind up with picks of her wearing an excessively loose sweatshirt.

I don’t think Rousey will be able to KO tate, and her ground and pound game is not a great move against Miss Armbar. Of course considering how little we have seen of Rousey and how she seems to bull rush in maybe Tate can use angles and rough her up?

Barnett vs Cormier was a fight I was very excited to see.

The plus; Ninjaa’s statement may get FightinIrish to sit through an entire MMA card, and if he does, and we witness Rhonda Rousey’s “boxing” en route to a victory at least he should be good for an entertaining rant in this thread. Someone should let him know what is on the line.

Regards,

Robert A

If rousey had nuts, I’d hug them. Alas she is the prettiest darn thing in female mma and so two thumbs up to her.
Hope she wins and does it in true Rousey Fashion, under one minute, some kinda throw and arm bar :slight_smile:

I don’t think she’d do bad at all in extended rounds. What many don’t realise is that true Olympians have got this insane drive and work ethic. I don’t see Meisha matching that.

I used to train with Hector Lombard. He’s an ex Olympian in Judo too. I only ever sparred him in stand up and one thing he had over many other sparring partners is ticker and drive. Despite being smaller, the nugget had endless drive and determination to put it over you.

All this Ronda hate has to stop…

from: Miesha Tate vs Ronda Rousey staredown pic from Strikeforce press conference in Columbus - MMAmania.com

Strikeforce held a special pre-fight press conference earlier today (Thurs., March 1, 2012) in advance of the “Tate vs. Rousey” Showtime-televised mixed martial arts (MMA) event that is scheduled for Saturday night at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio.

And (surprise), neither Miesha Tate nor Ronda Rousey had anything nice to say about the other when the mic was turned on.

Says the champion:

"I don't care for Ronda's personality. I've fought people I haven't liked before but not to this extent. But I'm careful not to be overzealous and let tempers change my game plan. Ronda is a self-righteous person. She cares more about herself than the sport. She talked her way into a title fight. Clearly, she doesn't deserve it. She's not the No. 1 contender. She hasn't even fought at this weight before. I mean, she's 4-0 and has been moderately impressive but she hasn't faced anyone like me."

Responds the challenger:

"I wasn't looking to make friends in this sport. I just wanted to make a living so I didn't have to catch coins. But it doesn't matter if people don't like me because it's mostly current or former champs who think everyone should throw petals at their feet. Honestly, I don't care if a bunch of girls I don't know don't like me. I'm doing this to support myself and not work night shifts at the gym. I don't have respect for Miesha's inconsistency. One minute it's about the sport, the next she is wearing booty shorts on her website and it's the entertainment business."

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:

What Rousey needs is a great striker that will bash her around and make her piss her pants. Someone with heart. Can she even last 5 rounds? Can she survive a gruesome ground and pound? I’d love to see what she can do when the motor starts running out of gas. So far she’s been lucky with 3 wins under 1 min ( I won’t count that other tainted victory) but there must be more from her that I’d like to see. Any fighter that can get her in trouble will be in my good book. [/quote]

What do you think of my assessment that Kauffman could be that fighter?

Humble, I really don’t care for all the shit talking that goes on. Some people can’t separate what’s said to hype the fight and what’s really meant. I prefer to see camaraderie between the fighters. I honestly believe Joe Frazier went to his grave hating Ali when Ali was just trying to hype the fights.

[quote]on edge wrote:
I honestly believe Joe Frazier went to his grave hating Ali when Ali was just trying to hype the fights.[/quote]

Both of these statements would be true.

It’s a shame.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:
I honestly believe Joe Frazier went to his grave hating Ali when Ali was just trying to hype the fights.[/quote]

Both of these statements would be true.

It’s a shame. [/quote]

Yeah, just trying to hype the fight by calling a man who gave Ali money and did his best to help him get re-licensed a race traitor.

Ali was a fantastic fighter. He is certainly a top five heavyweight of all time. I would put him top three (under Louis for certain and possibly under Johnson). He also publicly held a variety of opinions that seem to have been discarded/forgotten when building this myth that he was a great “man” in addition to being a great fighter.

Ali made statements that no one should be expected to forgive or forget easily. Perhaps the most amazing thing about him is that the public has largely done so.

Regards,

Robert A

I’m excited.

I see Rousey taking it.

I always find it interesting how those “established” in the sport are so ready to dismiss on criticize relative newcomers who put on spectacular performances.

Everyone keeps saying she needs to fight a great striker to “put her in her place”. I don’t know who in women’s 135 lb MMA would be considered a “great striker”, but I do know that that seems to have been the plan of EVERYONE she’s fought in pro-MMA.

I’ve never been that impressed with Tate in cage. She’s a grinder. She’s done well against the mediocre strikers she’s fought, and some decent grapplers who had nothing for her off their backs. I don’t see her striking as being effective enough to neutralize Rousey’s Judo from standing. I guess if she can get Rousey broken down, and on her back, she could grind out a decision, but that arm-bar threat would be there, and probably stop her from posturing up and throwing fight-ending bombs.

I agree with Spartiates.

In response to humble,

I also do not “hate” Rousey. I just do not know how enough about her skillset at this point to really have a feel for how good she may or may not turn out. She is 4-0, but one of those wins is seriously tainted as DarkNinjaa pointed out. In her less than 4 minutes in the cage I do not have enough to go on.

My questions before I consider her a legit “world beater” instead of a sign of just how shallow the talent pool is in the female 135lb division;

1. How is her chin? I know that one shot KO power is rarer in women than men, but if Cyborg is ever on the menu for her this could come up?

2. How does she handle getting hit? Yes, she has “heart”. Her Judo accomplishments make her certified tough, but some people do not do well with getting hit. Some people do not handle getting smothered. These are often not the same people. I will submit Brock Lesnar and Ricco Rodriguez as too accomplished grapplers who lose their shit to varying degrees when hit in the face. Both have impressive athletic accomplishments.

3. How is her striking? Does she have heavy hands? Does she have decent defense? Is she technically sound but incapable of cracking an egg, witness Shawn Sherk? I have never been impressed by the “wildness” coming out of Gokor’s camp with regards to striking. If her “stand up” is bull rushing to a clinch and throwing a looping right lead than she is going to be in rough waters against a polished striker.

4. What is her “in ring” IQ like? She has said she doesn’t use a plan or strategy going into a fight. That is troubling to me? Is she able to fight smart when she cannot just steamroll her overmatched opponents with her World Class grappling? Hell, look at Akiyama as a model for great Judo, heavy hands, good chin, good conditioning, but avoids using these things to advantage (IN EARNEST AKIYAMA. THROW A FUCKING JAB. IT WILL SET UP YOUR RIGHT HAND. IT ISN’T CHEATING!)

Until I have answers to these I am sort of withholding my hype. After all, there was a time when Carwin looked like a world beater as well.

Oh, and sense I self identified as being a Chris Cyborg fan and humble made his “If Rousey had nuts I would swing from them…” comment I expect no less than 3 “Robert A is gay for Cyborg” jokes.

Regards,

Robert A

P.S. humble, in the “Best for Self Defense thread” there is a question about Dutch vs Thai elbows and Thai elbow strikes in general if you have the time. I would be interested in your answer.

[quote]Robert A wrote:

My questions before I consider her a legit “world beater” instead of a sign of just how shallow the talent pool is in the female 135lb division;

[/quote]

The shallowness of the talent pool was glaring to me after I watched a few of Miesha Tate’s fights. How that girl can be a champion is baffling to me. She’s tuff and she’s an athlete but she doesn’t seem to have the natural assets of a fighter. If there were lots of girls serious about MMA, Tate wouldn’t be champion and she’s only going to be champion for one more day. She looks like she would have made a nice Pole Vaulter, fwiw.

Hey, can someone fill me in on what it’s like recovering from one of those elbow dislocations? I dislocated my pinky a number of years ago and my pinky isn’t anywhere near what it was before. I can’t help but think those girls who got there elbows snapped by Ronda will never be the same.

I’m thinking Ronda is going to steamroll Tate. After watched both ladies’ previous fights, I’ve gotta give the nod to Ronda. Tate is alright, but just not impressive to me. Ronda goes for the finish right off the bat, and is plenty powerful enough to do so. I don’t see Tate getting her to the ground, nor do I believe Tate wants it on the ground.

[quote]Robert A wrote:

P.S. humble, in the “Best for Self Defense thread” there is a question about Dutch vs Thai elbows and Thai elbow strikes in general if you have the time. I would be interested in your answer.[/quote]

G’day Rob… I looked through that thread and only saw some self defence references to Elbows.

Haha I just watched the weigh in. That had to be the most full of gorgeous weigh in the history of man-kind. The body on Miss Tate! And I found out her home town is only about a 90 minute drive from where I’m sitting.

[quote]on edge wrote:
Haha I just watched the weigh in. That had to be the most full of gorgeous weigh in the history of man-kind. The body on Miss Tate! And I found out her home town is only about a 90 minute drive from where I’m sitting.[/quote]

The bodies on both of them! Oh the flicks I could make with those two gorgeous ladies!!! Damn!!

[quote]Rodimus Black wrote:

The bodies on both of them! Damn!! [/quote]

No doubt. I didn’t mention Ronda because it was understood from my OP. Make no mistake, the only reason I’m here in Combat is Ronda.

[quote]humble wrote:

[quote]Robert A wrote:

P.S. humble, in the “Best for Self Defense thread” there is a question about Dutch vs Thai elbows and Thai elbow strikes in general if you have the time. I would be interested in your answer.[/quote]

G’day Rob… I looked through that thread and only saw some self defence references to Elbows.[/quote]

Grimlorn ended up asking a question about if different styles of Muy Thai throw elbows differently. I believe he said that he trains Dutch Muy Thai and was taught elbows are mostly to be used to cut someone. I am certain I have seen Thai fighters get KO/TKO’s with elbows, but I have no idea if the application varies based on region, gym, coach, or fighter.

I figured you could shed some light. Grimlorn’s(not the OP in that thread) post was on the last page:

Regards,

Robert A