Rounded Shoulders

hiya
i read somehwere that doing too many pushups can result in rounded shoulders. what does this mean and why is it so bad?because i actually want to be able to do thousands of pushups,but i read that it gives you rounded shoulders.thanks

That’s because the pecs get stronger than the lats and thus, even when they are at rest, their superior muscular tone pulls the shoulders inward.

What you have to understand is that it’s not pushups that make your shoulders round - it’s ONLY pushups. If you balance them out with lats/back work you’re going to have no problem.

[quote]WeaponXXX wrote:
hiya
i read somehwere that doing too many pushups can result in rounded shoulders. what does this mean and why is it so bad?because i actually want to be able to do thousands of pushups,but i read that it gives you rounded shoulders.thanks[/quote]

you can read that everywhere. Just balance the work. For every pushup, reverse the action and find a pole you can hang from with the arms extended, body position horizontal. Do rep for rep. rounded shoulders are from over development of the muscles in front.

Balance the work and you should be fine. Add some pullups and handstand pushups too, for shits and giggles.

Just do some chins ,heaves ,pull ups … whatever you want to call em with an overgrasp and you will be fine mate. As far as doing same reps as you do push ups thats bull shit. Work off of about half your push ups.

oh great then because i do pullups and dips as well as my pushups everyday.so im safe.thanks

[quote]WeaponXXX wrote:
oh great then because i do pullups and dips as well as my pushups everyday.so im safe.thanks[/quote]

push ups and dips both work the chest so you’ll need either one more back exercise or to do more volume with the pullups.
and please don’t forget that you have legs. running doesn’t count.

[quote]evansmi wrote:
WeaponXXX wrote:
oh great then because i do pullups and dips as well as my pushups everyday.so im safe.thanks

push ups and dips both work the chest so you’ll need either one more back exercise or to do more volume with the pullups.
and please don’t forget that you have legs. running doesn’t count.[/quote]

Yea. Legs, too.

Also, dont forget you have a central nervous system.

Pullups, pushups, and dips everyday is going to lead to less than optimal performance. Fast.

[quote]WeaponXXX wrote:
oh great then because i do pullups and dips as well as my pushups everyday.so im safe.thanks[/quote]

Not really. You need to do some horizontal pulling.

If you trying to balance an exercise, find a way to do the exact opposite. Bent over rows, seated rows, DB rows, etc. You can also set a bar in the power rack at hip level and hang from it with you legs straight out in front of you, pulling your chest to the bar. I call them modified pullups, but it’s really a misnomer. They would be a great balance to your pushups.

Pullups are great, but use them to balance your overhead pressing work.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
evansmi wrote:
WeaponXXX wrote:

and please don’t forget that you have legs. running doesn’t count.

Yea. Legs, too.

Also, dont forget you have a central nervous system.

Pullups, pushups, and dips everyday is going to lead to less than optimal performance. Fast.
[/quote]

yes i do six sets of 50 bodyweight squats everyday at the moment.i dont do all my exercises exactly till failure.i kind of grease the groove.for example im doing six sets of 15 pushups,6 sets of 8 dips,6 sets of 6 pullups,6 sets of 10 diamond pushups,6 sets of 40 sit ups and then i do my squats.i actually look and feel fitter than i did when lifting weights three days a week.
anyway thanks for the advice.

This indicates a lack of balance. When I go to a gym, I see the rounded shoulder phenonmenon all the time. Like every one said, match your pulling to your pushing and you will not have rounded shoulders, unless you are a hunch back.

Modi gave the right advice here. Pushups will work the pecs which are internal rotators of the shoulder. Lats are also internal rotators of the shoulder so doing chinups.pullups will only add to the rounded shoulders.

If your posture is good now just do 1:1 horizontal push/pull, if posture is bad do a 1:2 in favour of pulling movements. If its really bad maybe 1:3 or avoid pressing altogether.

I’m sure you’ll find some articles here to support this.

ok guys thanks a lot.yes modi gave some good advice.the modified pullups he talked about with my legs straight sound very good indeed.i have actually seen it in action in a gym but never thought of trying it.sounds good.i will do it with my pullup bar.thanks guys.

If you are doing such a high volume of pushups even with a good back program, I would say you might be able to overpower the movement balance by the pure volume.

It’s obviously good to keep your training balanced, however, the idea that developing your pecs and not developing your upper back or Lats will cause your shoulders to “round” is complete bullshit.

This is one of the pervasive misconceptions that everyone mindlessly blathers about and everyone just believes it without a second thought. (I’m talking skeletal posture, not distribution of muscle mass and the appearance it may cause).

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1053531

Cressey explains the three things you need to balance in that article.

[quote]on edge wrote:
It’s obviously good to keep your training balanced, however, the idea that developing your pecs and not developing your upper back or Lats will cause your shoulders to “round” is complete bullshit.

This is one of the pervasive misconceptions that everyone mindlessly blathers about and everyone just believes it without a second thought. (I’m talking skeletal posture, not distribution of muscle mass and the appearance it may cause).[/quote]

Where are you getting your information from?

The majority of people who overtrain their pecs and undertrain their mid-back end up with overly tight pecs. This leads to rounded shoulders and potentially forward head posture. Training the mid-back will help keep the shoulders back with less conscious effort.

What makes you think this is some urban legend?

Also, as was said earlier, the pecs and lats are both internal rotators, that’s why I don’t advocate balancing bench press/pushups with pulldows/pullups.

Most people would benefit from adding external rotator cuff work into their program, as well as balancing push/pull exercises (both horizontally and vertically)

[quote]on edge wrote:

This is one of the pervasive misconceptions that everyone mindlessly blathers about and everyone just believes it without a second thought. (I’m talking skeletal posture, not distribution of muscle mass and the appearance it may cause).[/quote]

Yeah dude, where did you get your info? It makes sense that stronger/tighter internal rotators will cause a natural lean towards forward head and excessive kyphosis.

Look at gymnasts. They are syper strong and flexible yet their sport often leads to rounded shoulders.

[quote]DeadOnArrival wrote:
Yeah dude, where did you get your info? It makes sense that stronger/tighter internal rotators will cause a natural lean towards forward head and excessive kyphosis.
[/quote]

Generally the right idea, but stronger doesn’t necessarily mean tighter and vice versa.
I think unbalanced hypertrophy will also affect posture simply due to the pull of gravity - just look at the posture of most well endowed ladies…

[quote]Modi wrote:
on edge wrote:

This is one of the pervasive misconceptions that everyone mindlessly blathers about and everyone just believes it without a second thought. (I’m talking skeletal posture, not distribution of muscle mass and the appearance it may cause).

Where are you getting your information from?

The majority of people who overtrain their pecs and undertrain their mid-back end up with overly tight pecs. This leads to rounded shoulders and potentially forward head posture. Training the mid-back will help keep the shoulders back with less conscious effort.

What makes you think this is some urban legend?

Also, as was said earlier, the pecs and lats are both internal rotators, that’s why I don’t advocate balancing bench press/pushups with pulldows/pullups.

Most people would benefit from adding external rotator cuff work into their program, as well as balancing push/pull exercises (both horizontally and vertically)[/quote]

I get my information from original thought. I see no reason to believe that developed pecs, with underdeveloped midback will lead to “tight” pecs. A big muscle is going to be relaxed most of the time and about the same amount of time as if it were a small muscle. It’s not going to “pull” the structure forward.

This idea is less of a leap than believing it will pull the shoulders forward and way less than believing it will pull the neck forward. I could see a neck subluxation forming from constantly pressing the head back on a bench but that might happen regardless of the balance of training.

I agree with the rest of your post.

[quote]DeadOnArrival wrote:
on edge wrote:

Look at gymnasts. They are syper strong and flexible yet their sport often leads to rounded shoulders. [/quote]

Do they have rounded shoulders because they are have more muscle in front, creating a round look, or is their skeletal structure actually pulled forward?

Obviously, I think it’s an appearance issue.