Rounded Program Design?

I was searching the site the other day, and saw an article that split your week into a six-day training schedule. Basically, it ran:

Heavy weights, low reps w/ long rest time
Moderate weights, higher reps w/ short rest time
“Sweat day”

I’ve recently rehabilitated from a shoulder injury, and gotten the go-ahead to go back to the gym. However, I’m basically considering myself a beginner since I was lifting stupid, erratically, and probably contributed to my own injury and avoided others only by luck.

So, a little more cautious and wiser, I’m going back to the gym (Rock Hard Gym on Fullerton in Chicago, anyone else a member?) While I was rehabilitating, I used some light KBs (16kg) once my shoulder was up to it, and I’d like to keep that in my routine. My rough idea was:

Day 1: Upper Body KB (EDT style)
Day 2: Lower Body Weights (Heavy)
Day 3: “Sweat Day” and posture/mobility work (still have a slight anterior tilt, part of my next paycheck is going to a copy of Magnificent Mobility…)

Then repeat for the other three days, doing a lower body KB day and a upper body heavy lifting day.

My concerns about this program are that I’m not doing enough lifting to stimulate growth, but to be honest I’m not knowledgeable enough to say one way or the other. As long as I’ve been away from the gym, I could probably do anything for a while and see results, but I’d like to budget my time well and not waste training days. On the other hand, I don’t want to go to a 4-day schedule with weights, 2 days with KBs and cardio, and overtrain myself either.

Any ideas? Is there a program that does what I’m trying to do more elegantly (probably), and if so what is it?

bro we cant answer your questions of your program without knowing what these days consist of exercises, loads etc

phill

Dunno loads yet, I’d have to test out where I’m at, now. As for exercises, it would probably look something like:

Upper Body (UB) KB day:

Military Press & Bent Row (15 min PR)
Floor Press & Renegade Row (15 min PR)
Bicep Curl & Skull Crusher (15 min PR)
5 minute break between

Lower Body KB day:

Front Squat & One Arm Snatch (15 min PR)
Double KB Swing & Turkish Get Up (15 min PR)
Pass Through & [SOMETHING FOR LOWER BACK] (15 min PR)

Weight days, I’d probably go with Thib’s suggestions from just yesterday:

Upper Body:
? One upper body horizontal pull exercise (chest-supported rowing, one-arm dumbbell row, etc.)
? One upper body horizontal push exercise (decline, flat, or low incline bench press with a bar or dumbbells)
? One upper body vertical pull exercise (weighted chins or pull-ups, lat pulldown variation, etc.)
? One upper body vertical push exercise (high incline or seated press with a bar or dumbbells)
? One biceps exercise
? One triceps exercise

Lower Body:

? One squat variation (front squat, close-stance squat, medium stance squat, etc.)
? One hip dominant basic exercise (Romanian deadlift, good morning, stiff-leg deadlift, sumo deadlift, etc.)
? One secondary quad compound (leg press variation, hack squat, etc.)
? One secondary hamstring exercise (reverse hyper, glute-ham raise, pull-through)
? One unilateral lower body exercise (lunges, Bulgarian squat, split squat, etc.)

Shooting for 3-5 sets of 3-5, in push & pull supersets with 90-120 seconds of rest in between each superset.

Sweat/posture days would mean an extended mobility session, which I can’t really plan until I get the Magnificent Mobility DVD, and doing shit that gets my heart rate up. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry to be so vague, like I said, I’m still planning this out. I could take a wild stab at poundages, but beyond “way too low” it would be a guess until I get back in the gym and test it out. I just wanted to see if this is a reasonable plan in theory, or if I need more heavy lifting, less overall activity, etc.