Round 3 Lifting

Boxing workout today, maybe I’ll start logging these. I only get 1 minute to breathe in between each round, and half the time my coach makes me do burpees or something until the next round starts.

• Walked 1.2 miles uphill
  • Power core twists with 20 pound medicine ball: Must have done 500 reps of this, 3 rounds x 3 minutes
  • Speed bag 3 rounds x 3 minutes (left arm only, right arm only, left arm only)
  • Double-end bag 3 rounds x 3 minutes
  • Heavy bag (all-out): 4 rounds x 3 minutes
  • More power punching with coach holding the pad: 2 rounds x 3 minutes
  • Slip and counter (jab, right, left hook) - 3 rounds x 3 minutes
  • Feet elevated straight-arm plank: One round, went for 3 minutes and 10 seconds
  • Holding a heavy tire over my head for 3 minutes and 30 seconds straight
  • Miscellaneous footwork drills

I guess the Coach was feeling generous today, because he didn’t make me throw that 20 pound medicine ball over a pipe and catch it by myself for 3 rounds x 3 minutes. I also didn’t have to do alternating one-armed pushups with a basketball for 3 minutes straight.

I have about 6 all-out 3 minute rounds in me before I faint, which is good news I guess.

On the downside, even with wrapping my own hands and wearing 16 oz. gloves, my left pinkie is really bruised from all the jabbing I have to do.

6 Likes

My conditioning is really through the roof nowadays. Feeling stronger, faster, and more efficient than ever at 190. Never thought I’d be saying that! But, I do this exact routine + usually a lot more stuff 3-4x a week at minimum.

7 Likes

You sound happy. It makes me happy.

3 Likes

@EmilyQ I can’t complain, life is pretty good nowadays. I’m just staying busy and keeping myself out of trouble. Thanks for commenting!

New weight low: 187.4 pounds

Squat

365 x 5 x 3

Trap Bar DL

445 x 3
425 x 3 x 3 (finger ripped open)

Bench

205 x 5 x 3

Overhead Press

145 x 5 x 3

Followed by:

9 three-minute rounds on the heavy bag at full power (1 min rest in between each round)

Feeling totally unstoppable nowadays.

6 Likes

I find that I have never felt this more than when training for some type of combat sport. Awesome mindset to be in man, happy for you

3 Likes
3 Likes

Update: got the piss beaten out of my kidneys for my first hard sparring session tonight. Posted the second round here for you all to see:

This was full power to the body, no shots to the head.

I’m not mad at my performance but I know I could have done SO much better if I wasn’t exhausted beforehand. 1. I think I did like 12 heavy bag/mitt rounds + double-end bag work and medicine ball drills + a bunch of other miscellaneous shit before we sparred, so I was in there for 3 hours before my coach asked me if I wanted to know what body shots felt like.

At the perfect time, this dude walks in fresh and I’m like “okay, I can’t really say no, so I guess I’m getting thrown into the fire”. I like this sparring partner and he was very gracious. Either way I’m glad I got the experience under my belt.

I’m 5’9" and this dude is 6’4" but we’re in the same 188-190 lb. weight class so his liver hooks traveled very far distances. I’ll also be attending his 13th fight in a couple of weeks, lol. My only achievement in this sparring match was briefly cornering him and landing a few decent shots right before the second round ended.

By the third round I was feeling it pretty bad, so I got a handful of decent shots in during the first half of the round before I essentially gave up.

5 Likes

Nice. You stayed on your feet and stayed busy. :+1: Made him miss a few and work for the rest of them.

1 Like

So awesome to see the diversity of your training. You’re looking solid in those videos as well.

1 Like

The Marvin Gaye soundtrack in that first video had me cracking up. Nice work man, those three minutes start to feel like an eternity in short order!

1 Like

Sexual healinggggggggg

1 Like

Squat

365 x 4 x 3
365 x 2, failed last rep

Bench

205 x 5 x 3

Press

145 x 5 x 3

Chin-ups ad nauseam

Gonna cut out the trap bar DLs for a while because they’re aggravating my back. I can switch to weighted pull-ups in the mean time.

Had no energy today, probably because my appetite isn’t really there and I’m trying to lose weight. Upper-body lifts still feel great, but my squat is definitely suffering.

3 Likes

Back on the grind, taking no more than 2 minutes rest between sets because these weights aren’t exactly challenging

Squat

305 x 5 x 5

Press

120 x 5 x 5

Bench

175 x 5 x 5

Regular Conv. Deadlift

• played around with 275, pulled something like 20 reps in a few minutes. Feels best with no belt and slow off the floor, like Alan Thrall’s five-step setup.

Heavy Bag Work

9 rounds (3 minutes each) - 1 min. rest in between
1 round (5 minutes)

Also weighed in at 186.2 pounds after my workout

More to come on Wednesday

4 Likes

Squat

305 x 5 x 5

Press

120 x 5 x 5
170 x 2

Bench

175 x 5 x 5

Weighted Pull-Ups

+35 lbs. x 10, 8, 7

Weighing in at 189 fully hydrated and fed, at the end of this cycle I will be re-testing my maxes

1 Like

10 rounds of heavy bag work, I’m just playing it by ear and doing 5-6 minute rounds. Filmed my last round here:

Joined a proper powerlifting gym, finally. They also have a boxing ring + equipment. Even found a monolift + 50 kg Ivanko plates in there, so I’m in for some fun.

Bye bye Retro Fitness, you won’t be missed!

3 Likes

More Training

Squat

325 x 5 x 5

Press

135 x 5 x 5

Bench

185 x 5 x 5

Weighted Pull-Ups

+45 lb. x 8, 7, 6

BW Pull-ups – 2 x 10

Heavy Bag Work

• stopped counting
3 Likes

More Training

Squat

325 x 5 x 5

Press

135 x 5 x 5

Bench

185 x 2 x 5
185 x 10
185 x 5

Pull-ups ad nauseum

1 Like

Squat

365 x 5 x 3

Press

145 x 5 x 3

Bench

205 x 5 x 3

Neutral-Grip Pull-ups

21, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10

Weighing in at 185 after working up a good sweat

4 Likes

I’ve been training

The other day

Squat

365 x 5 x 3

Press

145 x 5 x 3

Bench

205 x 5 x 3

Pull-ups ad nauseum (got 21 neutral-grip pullups without letting go of the bar)

8 rounds of heavy bag work

Today

Squat

315 x 14
365, 385, 405 x 1

Bench

185 x 5 x 5

Press

125 x 5 x 5

More pull-ups

I’m wearing Stoic knee sleeves instead of those double-ply EliteFTS sleeves, I’m 10-15 pounds lighter than I was last time, and I’m in better overall shape.

Essentially, I dropped weight, switched out using light knee wraps for IPF-approved sleeves, and got stronger. Nothing to complain about here.

9 Likes

I got sick and I’m dealing with some personal problems but I’m still training. Might not update this log for a while

2 Likes