Round 2 Lifting

Another abysmal workout today

Press

45 x 12
95 x 3
125 x 5
145 x 3
160 x 5

Didn’t do anything else because I came into this workout dead anyway. I’m not sure how other people manage their volume work/tons of assistance/conditioning/work full time/hit huge PRs consistently while they both weigh less/eat less than I do. I’m not Superman but obviously I’m not working hard enough to see consistent gains.

My body is giving out midway through my sets and it’s discouraging. I couldn’t have done any meaningful assistance work if I wanted to. Some days I can get done what I need to get done, and other days are like today. My left shoulder was about to give out on my top set.

I don’t have the time, energy, or specialized equipment necessary to strengthen whatever weak points are holding me back. I can only do so much work in a day, and even lifting 3-4 times a week is hard for me given my circumstances.

What ingredient am I missing here? I eat close to a pound of ground beef a day and sleep 7-8 hours a night. I feel like I’m always playing catch-up, because I’m over here spinning my wheels and burning out when I’m supposed to be “peaking” at the end of my cycle.

If I was having average days, I wouldn’t be complaining because everyone has average days. But I’ve been having a lot of very below average workouts lately and I don’t know why.

Are you titrating off meds?

Yes, still in the process of doing that. Since I started tapering 11 weeks ago I’ve cut 55 mg of Seroquel from my daily regimen. I also have no appetite and I’m suffering a little bit, but it’s manageable. I’m not lethargic during the day anymore.

I’ve also lost 20-25 pounds in that time frame, so I’m happy with how it’s going so far. My sweet tooth has all but disappeared.

The meds also cause me other problems that I hate and that’s mainly why I’m tapering off. I’d rather give up Seroquel than place an order for fucking Bluechew.

This alone with have an impact on strength.

1 Like

My deload day went pretty well. Just got off a string of night shifts and won’t have work for the next few days. I need to work on cues and keep my knees out more.

Squat

45 x 10
135 x 3
225 x 3
275 x 1
325 x 1
370 x 1

BW still strictly at 200 but I keep dropping notches in my belt. At this point I need to get a new belt, because I am on the second to smallest notch (down from the middle notch in my belt).

405 is definitely there…but not worth hitting that today.

1 Like

Another deload day, I’m just going to stick with 5/3/1 for another few months and see if my body adapts to the workload over time. I’m starting to burn out by Week 3, not sure why. After a rest period I am usually good to go.

Deadlift

135 x 3
225 x 3
315 x 2
365 x 1
425 x 1

Moved like 315, felt very smooth and fast. A lot less struggle than I expected

Shut it down

1 Like

Do you do 5/3/1 or 3/5/1 with your weekly approach? If the former, the latter has something of a mini-deload built into it in the middle week, which may help with the adaptation.

I have been doing original 5/3/1 but will switch to 3/5/1 upon you saying that. The mini deload will probably help a lot if I don’t go above 5 reps for anything on my top set and hammer down assistance work.

1 Like

LOL I’m borderline YouTube famous :joy:

Easy money on that rep man.

1 Like

I saw that! 1.3k views on a single!

1 Like

@mr.v3lv3t thank you! Felt easy, I’m gearing up towards hitting 500 for a double or triple in the next few months. Probably in January or February of next year. Still losing some weight as well.

@SkyzykS I’m not sure how my channel got so popular :smiley: but I’m not complaining.

Deload Workout #3

Bench

45 x 10
95 x 3
135 x 3
185 x 3
230 x 1

Done with that, bench feels easier than expected. It’s not so poverty anymore lol. I will probably invest in a much better stand alone bench because this one is an accident waiting to happen. Very uneven and filmsy, also much too narrow.

Any tips from the crowd for improving my bench? After not training it for the last few years my technique is not the best.

1 Like

A solid bench you can trust will probably make a big difference, but you made 230 look effortless.

Good form, good speed, no bounce, no grindy shoulder digging, what’s not to love?

1 Like

Good squat workout today.

Squat

45 x 10
135 x 5
225 x 2
260 x 3
295 x 3
335 x 9 - PR

If I had adequate safeties, I’d have gone for a 10th rep, but I’m playing it conservative for now. I can’t attempt a rep if I’m not 100% sure I’ll get it.

260 x 5 x 5

No belt on the FSL

Ab Wheel - 3 x 25

1 Like

Nice! Congrats on the PR.

1 Like

You able to pick up some saw horses by chance? Should answer the mail there.

Great to see you crushing it dude.

1 Like

Nice set there mate. Just watch that explosive finish on the reps, the bar comes off the shoulder a couple of times and gets you out of position. Still great though.

1 Like

@T3hPwnisher I should have some saw horses laying around, I’ll have to set them up next time. It’s good to be back on track and see myself getting stronger week by week.

@simo74 This bar has zero knurling in the middle, it’s a struggle to keep it from sliding off my back. Thanks for your kind words!

1 Like

Athletic tape is the original knurling. If you’re not opposed to it, you could wrap up the middle with some. People used to do that with the Ironmind Buffalo bar for similar reasons.

That would be a fantastic idea, are you referring to athletic gauze or actual smooth stretchy tape?