T Nation

Round 2 Lifting

This will be my last workout for a few days while I figure out how to adjust my lifting to my new work schedule. I now have a cinderblock rack for Zercher Squats and Floor Pressing.

Floor Press

45 x 12
95 x 3
135 x 3
165 x 1
185 x 11 - PR

150 x 10
150 x 10
150 x 10

Lat Raise

45 lb. plate x 3 x 10

Push-ups

2 x 25

Very Bud Jeffries of you, nice work man.

1 Like

Are you putting a plank of wood or something on top of these? I ask, because I’ve seen cinderblocks catastrophically fail before, and you don’t need sudden weight falling on you to ruin your day.

The rack is actually made out of concrete tiles that are very thick and heavy. Luckily, I don’t have any racks that are higher than waist-level.

The bricks look like this, but they’re thicker with a different engraving.

Day 1 of the new plan. BW is consistently at 190, which is a win for me.

I chose not to go for a high-rep PR set. I had the chance to squat because I’m off work today, but I will be working nights for the rest of the week and can’t afford to be cripplingly sore tomorrow. I also found my knee sleeves, which are helpful. Haven’t seen those in 18 months.

With that being said, I took longer breaks between sets and worked up to a huge Joker set.

Zercher Squat

45 x 10
95 x 3
135 x 1
165 x 5
190 x 5
215 x 5
235 x 5
255 x 5
275 x 3

Ab Wheel - 2 x 10

I capped the workout here. Hand will be healed enough to deadlift on Saturday. I need to get myself a chin-up bar for my room.

1 Like

Squeezed in a quick workout before I go to work a 9 hour shift. This medicine taper is making me nauseous after I exert myself in the heat. I’m glad that colder weather is coming our way in a few months. I don’t plan on going back to the gym any time soon because I don’t want to get sick again. I like working out by myself anyway.

Press

45 x 12
95 x 3
105 x 5
125 x 5
140 x 8
105 x 3 x 10

My abs are still cripplingly sore from squats/ab wheel, so I consider this a win.

Bicep Curl

90 x 10
85 x 10
85 x 10

Alright…did a lot of hard work today.

I feel like using straps makes me a lot less powerful in the starting position of the deadlift because of my forced setup while using straps. I would have preferred to use mixed grip in order to perform better today. I exclusively use Dave Tate’s setup when I’m pulling without straps. There’s always next week. My hand didn’t tear, so that’s a win.

I also went down a notch in my lifting belt and can see my abs for the first time in forever.

Deadlift

135 x 5
225 x 3
270 x 5
310 x 5
350 x 9 + 1 (Volume PR)

RDL

225 x 3 x 10

Barbell Row

185 x 2 x 5
185 x 7 + 3

Abs are too fried to do ab wheel today. I tried and my abs cramped.

That’s it

2 Likes

More hard work. My upper body lifts are responding quite nicely to higher volume and higher reps. I feel like I’m moving in the right direction. I also went on a quick bike ride for 3-4 miles before my workout.

Floor Press

45 x 12
95 x 5
145 x 5
170 x 5

190 x 12 - PR

225 x 1 - PR, just wanted to hold the weight

145 x 3 x 10

Heavy Lat Raise

45 x 2 x 15

Push-ups

Total, 100

I only have one problem. I have flat feet, and I find that my left foot feels like I’ve been stabbed with an icepick when I’m on my feet for too many days in a row at work. It interferes with my ability to walk without pain. Surprisingly, I can squat/deadlift without experiencing any pain in the foot.

Hence, I am biking everywhere now. I’m not sure if seeing a doctor would be my best approach to this issue. Maybe a new pair of sneakers or some orthotics would help? Idk.

Next workout will be on Friday. Had off today, got myself a haircut, meal prepped, and I’m working on a project for a client of mine.

1 Like

Having the right pair of shoes for your feet will definitely help. Some sports shoe stores will do an assessment and recommend shoes based on your foot type and whether you under or over pronate. Worth getting looked at.

1 Like

Thank you @simo74.

Quick nighttime physique update - I think I look better overall. Ignore the uneven tan…

1 Like

Definitely looking strong there dude.

Thanks man! I like being a little heavier than 170…I think I grew a few inches as well.

Work related responsibilities and life continue to get in the way of me working out. I hope I will have time to work out tomorrow, if not I’ll be lifting Sunday before I go to work a 4-12 lol. Should be lots of fun…

Building the house brick by brick. I think I’m balancing everything to the best of my ability right now. Weighed myself at 197 after the workout…I’m so dehydrated from this medicine taper that I’m drinking 2 gallons of water a day and peeing all night long. So be it.

Even with the extra 5-10 pounds of water weight I’m carrying around 24/7, I’ve lost 15-20 pounds in about 6 weeks.

Weird how the human body works.

Zercher Squat

45 x 12
95 x 3
135 x 3
180 x 3
205 x 3
230 x 3
255 x 3
280 x 4

I went for a fifth rep, had it, and the bar fell out of my arms when the towel slipped. I have to find a better way to wrap this barbell.

Just so everyone can see what I’m working with at the moment:

180 x 3 x 5 (beltless)

Bicep Curl

95 x 10
90 x 10
90 x 12

Ab Wheel

3 x 10

Will be pressing tomorrow because I have off. Going to work a 4-12 and pass out when I get home. Not mad at my progress so far.

3 Likes

Man, I’m gonna be sore for a few days. Set a new Press PR even though I felt like shit and didn’t get much rest last night. I’m hungry for improvement this time around. I think I’m getting somewhere, finally. I’m not in my own way anymore when it comes to lifting weights.

Press

45 x 12
95 x 3
115 x 3
130 x 3
150 x 8 - PR, volume PR too.
115 x 10
115 x 10
115 x 10 - volume PR

Push-ups

4 x 25

I think my body is adapting to the increased workload and reduced frequency pretty well. I’m finding myself able to do the push-ups after I finish my 3 x 10 pressing. Deadlifts coming up Thursday or Friday depending on my work schedule.

Also, I’m finally approaching a BW press at a heavier body weight.

2 Likes

Pool noodle, or 1" foam pipe insulation from the hardware store.

1 Like

Noted, thank you!

You’re killin’ it dude.

@mr.v3lv3t thank you! It’s finally my turn to consistently improve and I’m taking advantage of every session.

BW - 198

Deadlift

135 x 5
225 x 3
290 x 3
330 x 3
375 x 8 - Huge PR

My belt is falling off me now. I may have to tighten it another notch. Never thought I’d have the luxury of experiencing this issue.

Had a 9th rep in me, I went for it and dropped it immediately when I felt my right hand slip a little bit. As nice as it would have felt, it wasn’t worth re-tearing my hand and fucking up my deadlifts for the next 2 weeks. I made the right call, because I have a few new calluses now.

I went beltless on my assistance work.

RDL

225 x 3 x 10

BB Row

185 x 3 x 10

Ab Wheel

3 x 10

Floor pressing either tomorrow or Sunday, then taking a few days off until squats again.

Nice PR, dude!

And probably a good choice to not force the 9th rep. Next time you’ll just get 10.

1 Like