Rough Guess at Deadlift Strength?

If I rack pull 528lbx13 from just above the knee and squat 400x1 starting from parallel at the bottom. what do you think my deadlift would be? I haven’t done them for 2 years because I train at home and until recently I lived on the first floor of a building that didn’t seem too solid…

No idea. Nxt session find out.

Okay somwhere between 400-500lbs

That’s what I thought as well. I don’t want to test my 1RM because I haven’t learned proper form yet. I think I’ll start with 370 or so for 3-5 reps to learn it.

13 reps on the rack pull?

13 reps on rack pull and you havent even learned the basic deadlift form?

agreed, how can u pull that much without knowing the proper form, 13 reps is a waste on that i think uve got a nice grip id say

You don’t need to know how to deadlift to pull from above your knees, guys.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
You don’t need to know how to deadlift to pull from above your knees, guys.[/quote]

True statement. I fucking hate questions like this.

We train with a 148# femal who can triple 495 just above her knee.

Her best comp pull is 406.

Pulls above the knees are an awful guage of DL strength.

It’s simple. Why don’t you just pull and find out?

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
Hanley wrote:
You don’t need to know how to deadlift to pull from above your knees, guys.

True statement. I fucking hate questions like this.

We train with a 148# femal who can triple 495 just above her knee.

Her best comp pull is 406.

Pulls above the knees are an awful guage of DL strength.

It’s simple. Why don’t you just pull and find out? [/quote]

It’s much more fun to debate on the internet. I say he can pull more than 443.6667, but certainly not more than 468.3333333

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:

It’s much more fun to debate on the internet. I say he can pull more than 443.6667, but certainly not more than 468.3333333[/quote]

Absolutely. Plus, the attention you get is so much more satisfying.

I think he could double 185.

Ditto everyone one else. But what I will add is that for some lifters there is a relationship between knee high rack pulls and full range. For me, historically, I pull from the floor conventional style about 100 lbs less than what I can triple from the knee. That relationship may or may not exist for you and if it does, the relationship between your rack pull and deadlift may be different.

I was doing 13 reps on rack pulls because I only have 528lb of olympic plates. Normally I never go above five on anything. But I read a Jason Ferrugia article saying that high rep rack pulls, up to 15 reps, are worthwhile. Now my gym is on the ground floor I can do full deads. Judging from the helpful comments on this thread I should be aiming at around 400-500lb. That’s all I wanted to know.

How do I post a video on here to get help with form? Through youtube? It’s the first part of the lift I’m not sure about - hip positioning at the bottom etc.

Yes, put it on youtube and link it here.

If you’re afraid of doing a max deadlift from the floor it would be a good idea to get help with form before you do heavy rack pulls again. You only get one back.

First and foremost, make sure you keep an arch in your lower back the entire time. Second, no hitching or ramping. If you can do that, you should be able to attempt a max triple without hurting yourself.

It is quite easy to rack pull a lot of weight, imo, if you can 1) hold the weight 2) use whatever for you want.

The only way to tell what you can pull from the floor is to do it unless you only want a +/- 200 lb estimate

Here’s a video of my last rep on a practice set of 363lbx5 (tried to attach it to this post, if it doesn’t work I’ll have to do youtube). I’ve just done squats and some other sets of deads so it’s a pretty realistic representation of what my form is like given fatigue etc., which is what I’d appreciate being checked.