Rotisserie Chicken & Estrogenic Compounds

I purchase lot of rotisserie chickens from Whole Foods - convenient and relatively cheap.

When still very hot, the chicken is placed in plastic containers, which are then placed on a heated rack, and sit there for an hour or so. The plastic is usually hot to the touch when I pick it up.

While perhaps it’s not quite the same as actually heating up/cooking meat in plastic - nevertheless, I wonder if I’m ingesting estrogenic compounds???

Any thoughts?

[quote]katzenjammer wrote:
Any thoughts?
[/quote]

Yeah, you worry way too much about this stuff.

[quote]katzenjammer wrote:
I purchase lot of rotisserie chickens from Whole Foods - convenient and relatively cheap.

When still very hot, the chicken is placed in plastic containers, which are then placed on a heated rack, and sit there for an hour or so. The plastic is usually hot to the touch when I pick it up.

While perhaps it’s not quite the same as actually heating up/cooking meat in plastic - nevertheless, I wonder if I’m ingesting estrogenic compounds???

Any thoughts?

[/quote]

Do you live off these things? Do you take Rez-V? I will pick up one of these chickens once every few weeks or so. They are delicious, and I can portion the whole chicken out and get 4 meals out of it. At $6 a crack, you really can’t beat that. As long as you don’t eat 3 a day along with the plastic containers it comes in, you should be just fine.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Do you live off these things?
[/quote]

lol! Practically, yes. As you say, they’re delicious and it’s only pennies more than buying the chicken raw.

Yeah, I take Rez-V. I’m just trying to eliminate environmental/dietary estrogens as much as possible - I guess I could start by not gorging myself on the plastic containers at least.

I would suggest buying the bird raw and roasting it yourself. It will be far more tender and juicy and you can season it to your liking.

As for the plastic, yes it probably is leaking wacky shit into the chicken fat. But, not any more than all the other toxins you ingest on a daily basis. We live in a contaminated world, there’s not much we can do about it.

I’m sure they can lay some aluminum foil under it. Try asking them nicely.

[quote]analog_kid wrote: I will pick up one of these chickens once every few weeks or so. They are delicious, and I can portion the whole chicken out and get 4 meals out of it. At $6 a crack, you really can’t beat that. As long as you don’t eat 3 a day along with the plastic containers it comes in, you should be just fine.

[/quote]

You must be pretty disciplined. I’m lucky to get two meals worth of meat out of one of these. I typically plan on only eating half, but if I’m hungry the whole thing is usually toast.

I have been eating the plastic-packaged chicken for years. The only issues for me have been some minor breast growth, a screechy voice when I get emotional, and some slight testicular retraction. The cost savings on my food bill however outweighs these trivial issues. Frankly, these �??issues�?? have also brought my girlfriend and I closer than ever. We�??re now like sisters.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
analog_kid wrote: I will pick up one of these chickens once every few weeks or so. They are delicious, and I can portion the whole chicken out and get 4 meals out of it. At $6 a crack, you really can’t beat that. As long as you don’t eat 3 a day along with the plastic containers it comes in, you should be just fine.

You must be pretty disciplined. I’m lucky to get two meals worth of meat out of one of these. I typically plan on only eating half, but if I’m hungry the whole thing is usually toast.[/quote]

That is always a definite possibility. The trick for me is to butcher the thing as soon as I get home and the rest is in the fridge and some somewhere around cold-room temp and usually enough to deter me from eating all of it.

Maybe you should just start hunting or rearing your own meat.

I think there might be laws about rearing (correct word?) chickens in certain (all?) cities though.

Fresh eggs would be good.

I’m not about to rear-end my own meat - for one thing, according to btbnashua, the plastic chicken will make me grow breasts, which is great because fondling my own breasts in the privacy of my own home is a lot easier than picking up chicks.