T Nation

Rotator Cuff?

Yesterday when performing DB bench presses I injured my left shoulder a bit. I think it is not serious enough to have it checked out at the doctor. I can still lift my arm and there is no bruising.

I would like to find out if it is a rotator cuff injury and if I therefore should incorporate rotator cuff exercises in my training. The pain is in the front of my shoulder and I feel it if I do front raises, especially with palms facing. I feel no pain when doing lateral raises. Does this point to a rotator cuff injury or is it just the anterior delt?

[quote]chris666 wrote:
Yesterday when performing DB bench presses I injured my left shoulder a bit. I think it is not serious enough to have it checked out at the doctor. I can still lift my arm and there is no bruising.

I would like to find out if it is a rotator cuff injury and if I therefore should incorporate rotator cuff exercises in my training. The pain is in the front of my shoulder and I feel it if I do front raises, especially with palms facing. I feel no pain when doing lateral raises. Does this point to a rotator cuff injury or is it just the anterior delt?[/quote]

Well first, don’t do shoulder or chest exercises until you find out for sure. Depending on what you find out, you may have to change the way you lift, too.

Ok. Put your hand in the small of your back, palm out, elbow as close to 90 as you can get it. Now pull your hand directly out from your back. Your arm should rotate at the shoulder. Does this hurt? If so, it is probably a rotator cuff. This is a very basic and not all inclusive test. If you are really concerned, see a doctor.

There are several articles on this here, so use the search function and read up.

I popped my left cuff a couple of years ago (minor issue), and based on my research here, I was able to rehab my shoulder without medical intervention. Just be careful and get the info you need.

-folly

Hi folly,
thank you for your reply. I did that test and it did not hurt at all. So I guess it is not the rotator cuff. I had searched for rotator cuff articles but I did not find any tips to diagnose a rotator cuff injury.

I think when starting to train chest and shoulders again I will drop DB bench press, at least for a while. I think the range of motion is too big for me. Never hurt my shoulders with BB bench press.

Chris

Any time. If you are still concerned, or you have any limit to your normal range of motion, see the doc. Otherwise, I would start light. If it is your front delt, that can still be an issue while benching.

Good luck

-folly