T Nation

Rotator Cuff Tear

I have just been diagnosed with this. These questions are for anybody, but hopefully I will receive some responses from others who have already went through a rotator cuff tear.

1. I am sure it varies but what is the expected recovery time to be back in the gym giving it your all?

2. How long is the actual operation and what is the success rate?

3. Are there any supplements, OTC or other, that would be beneficial in the healing process?

[quote]wan2lrn wrote:
I have just been diagnosed with this. These questions are for anybody, but hopefully I will receive some responses from others who have already went through a rotator cuff tear.

1. I am sure it varies but what is the expected recovery time to be back in the gym giving it your all?

3. Are there any supplements, OTC or other, that would be beneficial in the healing process?[/quote]
    Wan21rn;
    I had this operation 4 yrs ago this coming March 19th. I was 47yrs old. I had a 2 inch tear and a 1 inch tear During my recovery I did cardio 5 days and worked my left side only(DBBench DB Presses,curls,1 arm rows be creativeI was supposed to be out 16 weeks I was out 9. Do the therapy 3 times a day i researched this for 3 months before I had it done. Stay all night do not do out-patient!
    Good Luck

Thanks Bearhawk that is some quick to the point information.  Anybody else out there?     

[quote]wan2lrn wrote:

3. Are there any supplements, OTC or other, that would be beneficial in the healing process?[/quote]

I had rotator cuff surgery 2.5 years ago. It was a severe injury and my prognosis was not optomistic for a full recovery. With a good surgeon and good rehab I recovered completely.

My surgery was about three hours as outpatient. I spent eight weeks in a sling with twelve weeks rehab and significant atrophy. At the end of those 12 weeks I was cleared to slowly begin weight training. At that point I improved rapidly and soon could pound the weights with any desired intensity.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.