Rotator Cuff Support Group

ToneBone,

Distal clavicle resection was one of the things done to my shoulder during surgery last Sept/Oct (2007).

My recovery is progressing although I was hoping for something faster. I started lifting after 8 weeks after the surgery. Early this year my shoulder was starting to hurt again. Keeping me up at night again, that kind of stuff. So I stopped benching 4 months. Instead I did a lot of back exercises. I’m now benching but no where near where I was. And I’ve lost size. Oh well, …at least I can sleep at night.

Everyone’s situation is different. And each body reacts differently. For example, there’s a thread in this forum where the guy had surgery after I did and has already competed and won in a power lifting event. And he did that months ago. That’s incredible! I still can’t go heavy and believe me I’ve been working hard on recovering.

Good luck.

Carlsbad

[quote]Carlsbad wrote:
ToneBone,

Distal clavicle resection was one of the things done to my shoulder during surgery last Sept/Oct (2007).

My recovery is progressing although I was hoping for something faster. I started lifting after 8 weeks after the surgery. Early this year my shoulder was starting to hurt again. Keeping me up at night again, that kind of stuff. So I stopped benching 4 months. Instead I did a lot of back exercises. I’m now benching but no where near where I was. And I’ve lost size. Oh well, …at least I can sleep at night.

Everyone’s situation is different. And each body reacts differently. For example, there’s a thread in this forum where the guy had surgery after I did and has already competed and won in a power lifting event. And he did that months ago. That’s incredible! I still can’t go heavy and believe me I’ve been working hard on recovering.

Good luck.

Carlsbad[/quote]

Thanks for responding Carlsbad,

Wow, what a contrast. I have been reading just that sort of stuff. The finality of the cutting of some of those connections does bother me, but the alternative of not having it is complete crap. It’s a disease and just not working out isn’t going to get it for me, and it won’t make it disappear either. The pain and jacked up rom won’t be going anywhere so that doesn’t leave much choice for a guy. How good was your surgeon to the best of your knowledge?

Sorry to hear it’s taking so long for you, but sounds like you have your attitude in the right place. Do you remember how or when it happened? for me it def happened during a DC blast, but I couldn’t pinpoint it to a specific day or wkout, kind of just creeped up out of nowhere.

Thanks again,
ToneBone

bump for updates. I’ll be scheduling the sugery for 2 tears in rotator (supraspinatus) and torn labrum on right arm.

[quote]Ironbreaker wrote:
New (at least to me…) approach to RC training. Maybe someone will find it useful.

Alas, nothing was there.

[quote]Ironbreaker wrote:
New (at least to me…) approach to RC training. Maybe someone will find it useful.

Alas, nothing was there.

Just had my right shoulder repaired yesterday. The damage included a torn labrum, cuff tears, bone spurs and acromion impingement, as well as a minor bicep tear. My surgeon used the suture bridge to fix the rotator cuff and re-attached the labrum with push lock anchors. The spurs were buffed down an the acromion shaved back slightly, and he didn’t even know about the bicep tear until after the other work started.

The best that I can tell is that all this damage accumulated over time, as I can’t point to a specific point in time when my shoulder pain became a problem. I’m looking at 4-6 months of recovery time before i can pick up heavy training again. At 41 years old, I guess I ought to not rush things.

This is the first surgery I’ve ever had in my life. I’m pretty darn sore as I type this post with my left hand, but at least I know I’ve taken steps to get out of ongoing pain. If I could offer any advice, it would be to not ignore your pain and don’t rely so much on steroid injections. The injections only mask the pain. You definitely want to treat the cause of the pain, sooner is better.

1 Like

so what are the symptoms of tears?

I have some pain between my upper bicep and my shoulder, not really sure if its the bicep or the shoulder. Have an appointment in two days with a physical therapist to see what’s up.

[quote]ronaldo7 wrote:

I have some pain between my upper bicep and my shoulder, not really sure if its the bicep or the shoulder. Have an appointment in two days with a physical therapist to see what’s up. [/quote]

Bicep tendinitis probably.

How often are you working arms? How are you working arms?

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]ronaldo7 wrote:

I have some pain between my upper bicep and my shoulder, not really sure if its the bicep or the shoulder. Have an appointment in two days with a physical therapist to see what’s up. [/quote]

Bicep tendinitis probably.

How often are you working arms? How are you working arms?[/quote]

Well, I do a body part split, so one muscle group per day, except for arms which means that biceps and triceps are trained together.

I injured my self stupidly thought as I know exactly when the pain started occurring. I was doing some calf raises on the smith machine, had a 45 on each side and when I was going to rack/lock the weight back on, I decided to get stupid,egocentric and stupid, I tried lifting the weight with my arms instead of simply using my traps and back to put the weight back into safety. As soon as tried using my arms, I felt something in my left bicep. So I’m hoping is just bicep tendonitis as I’m accustomed to that already, it’s just part of training at times when you do too much volume or go heavier than you should and I’ve trained through bicep tendonitis before however this pain is different, the more I train the more it hurts, so I haven’t trained in the last couple of days.
Tomorrow I’m going to a rehabilitation center which has orthopedics and physical therapist. I’m going to push for an MRI up front, that way I don’t have to play around with options of what it could be.