Rotator Cuff Injury & Non-Surgical Rehab

Damici, I really feel your pain. I’ve had both shoulders operated on, acromioplasty, where they go in and remove some of the acromion and clean the scar tissue off the tendons. I was a kayaker at a high level for years and trashed my shoulders that way. This was also before the advent of ‘scopes, so I had full on "slice n’ dice". Fortunately I was fairly young, and healed quickly. So,I’ve got some ideas for you.

First, try some internal and external rotator strengthening exercises, I believe a recent issue (280) had some explained, as well as the arms up stretch recently reviewed (278back). Once I got ‘religious’ about these exercises, much of my problem eased significantly. Second, whether you do bench or not is how much hurt you can handle, you won’t be doing anymore damage, the pain will stop you from that. But once you’re rehabbed, I think you can add it back slowly, but don’t make it your main chest exercise, comsider dumbell presses.

As far as the actual surgery and recovery, well that really depends on your body and what the doc has to do. But as you recover give yourself time and permission to take it easy on your upper body, let it rest and heal, don’t jump back too soon or too strong. When you get back to gym consider doing 1-arm exercises with your strong arm (until your other arm catches up), there will be a small cross-over effect and mind will stay ‘connected’ to you muscles. Sounds hokey but it’s true.

Although all I have to offer is my opinions, I’ve had a lot of experience with this; I’ve had back luck and a physical life style, necessitating 5 surgeries over 10 years, so at least I’ve ‘perfected’ my injury recovery. I hope it serves you well. Good luck.

"diesel23,

You are becoming famous for your fine conclusions of others posts.

I stated that I or Damici do Dumbbell Flies. It is there! As that is my recommendation.

As for my suggestion that he do other exercises such as Deadlifts, Squats etc. This was to help boost his wuss Bench Press number. I stated, “there are other fine exercises that you can do that will give you great multiple injury”.

Plenty of times an injury in one area of our body can, as suggested above, help lift us emotionally.

diesel, I suggest you contribute to this board a bit more ."

In the words of Zeb. Go ahead and account for every word in his reply.

There you have it. This copy/paste quote explains it all.

diesel23

I am here for two reasons, to help others and in turn to learn as well. Neither of which includes answering your obviously antagonistic posts.

Furthermore, I have been informed through many PM’s from quality members, that you play the role of the village idiot. (I use this term as this is exactly how your actions were described to me).

I should have known by the manner of your replys, however I assumed you had real questions and took the board more seriously than you do. It appears you are getting some sort of emotional gratification from the games you play.

This will be my last reply to you as I will take the excellent advice that has been given to me by the well intended, and place you permanently on ignore!

I hope at some point you reassess, if you are able, and decide to be a positive contributor to a great message board.

Plan on about 12 weeks for a non-protective surgery rehab (like an acromioplasty).

As far as an open rotator cuff repair, give yourself a full year before considering returning to any serious training. The first 6-8 weeks (depending on severity) will be the worst. A lot of pain, immobilization with an abduction pillow/sling, and passive range of motion only. From there you begin active-assisted to active to resistive motion. At 6 months post surgery you should have full ROM and about 90% strength compared to the unaffected side. Keep in mind this is normal strength not that of a trained weight trainer. The last 6 months is just bringing up the weakness to the perceived maximum rehab level, and then you’re cut loose on your own.

Just FYI…

Bill Hartman

You might end up needing surgery if the bone spur is severe. That surgery alone would not be awful, it’s really the soft tissue, the tendon that you need to worry about. I think you should find a doctor who practices prolotherapy. They’ll be able to rebuild that injured rotator cuff tendon. It is a process, but prolotherapy is the damn most effective treatment for long-standing ligament and tendon injuries. It’s saved both of my shoulders. As long as you are not afraid of needles…hehe