Rotator Cuff Friendly Shoulder Movements?

My left rotator cuff is inflamed pretty badly right now. Upright rows and lateral raises are really bothering it, so I’m looking for any suggestions for alternative movements that will still stimulate the deltoids without stressing the rotator cuff so much. Any suggestions?

[quote]RonSwanson wrote:
My left rotator cuff is inflamed pretty badly right now. Upright rows and lateral raises are really bothering it, so I’m looking for any suggestions for alternative movements that will still stimulate the deltoids without stressing the rotator cuff so much. Any suggestions?[/quote]

Heal the shoulder. Injured lifters make little progress.

Well, if those things hurt and are making it worse, stop doing those exercises for now and rest it. When it starts to feel better, start doing some lying lateral raises, internal rotations and external rotations. START WITH LIGHT WEIGHT and build it up gradually. Remember, these exercises are rehab/prehab, so it’s not about getting as much weight on there as possible. Keep it light and do them consistently.

As an idea of weight, my shoulders are feeling good and at the moment I’m doing some prehab with just 10lbs. Focus on the movement and doing it slowly and smoothly.

Neutral grip everything.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]RonSwanson wrote:
My left rotator cuff is inflamed pretty badly right now. Upright rows and lateral raises are really bothering it, so I’m looking for any suggestions for alternative movements that will still stimulate the deltoids without stressing the rotator cuff so much. Any suggestions?[/quote]

Heal the shoulder. Injured lifters make little progress. [/quote]

Definitely this!

In addition, I’ve found some success with chronic injuries by finding parts of the ROM that do not cause pain. For example, I’m dealing with some bursitis in my right shoulder presently. Lateral raises hurt like hell, but I’ve found that if I lean forward 45 degrees and work one arm at a time doing a combination front raise/lateral raise, I have no pain at all.

Train your legs meanwhile without using arms i.e. dont do farmerswalk :slight_smile: