T Nation

Rotator Cuff and Scapular on Rows

Hey, so for rehab from doing too much bench press and overhead pressing my scapular muscles shut down, but i have regained them and can now fully retract and depress scapular . but when i do excercises like dumbbell rows it still feels like my scapular isnt getting worked almost like the scapular isnt retracting and pulling my arm up, ive been doing my reserach and im thinking this could be because of weak external rotators of the rotator cuff, because these arre what connect the scapular to the humerus. so if i strengthen my external rotators (infraspinatus and ters minor) will i be able to successfully use my scapular again in excercises liek rows?

I'm not an expert on this, but I'd say really focus on retracting the scapulae at the end of rep (even hold it for a 3 count or so), also add in some exercises like facepulls, band pull aparts, and scarecrows, all of which will help you strengthen your upper back more fully. If your upper back is strong enough I'd say its a mental thing, just keep focusing on squeezing the shoulder blades down and back on every rep.