T Nation

Rotating the Order of Lifts?

So, I have just restarted lifting after several years off. Anyway I have been rotating the order of my upper body lifts each time. Ex. bench press then bent row then overhead press then pull/chin ups and next time bent row then overhead press… You get the idea.

Anyway my reasoning was that I didn’t want a focus on any one lift and since you got more juice at the beginning it seemed a good idea to rotate them (it also seems to challenge me on the later lifts to try and get what I have before when they are first. My question is… Is there any reason not to do this (ie is it a good idea or what are the drawbacks)? Have others had success with this?

[quote]jakerz96 wrote:
So, I have just restarted lifting after several years off. Anyway I have been rotating the order of my upper body lifts each time. Ex. bench press then bent row then overhead press then pull/chin ups and next time bent row then overhead press… You get the idea.

Anyway my reasoning was that I didn’t want a focus on any one lift and since you got more juice at the beginning it seemed a good idea to rotate them (it also seems to challenge me on the later lifts to try and get what I have before when they are first. My question is… Is there any reason not to do this (ie is it a good idea or what are the drawbacks)? Have others had success with this?[/quote]

That’s a popular technique with full body training or when you’re just hitting several big muscle groups in the same session, for just the reason you think. Because you’ve got more focus and energy at the start of your workouts, it lets you give that much more effort in whatever you’re doing first.

Just make sure you keep putting the bigger muscle groups (back, chest, legs, shoulders) before smaller muscles (arms, calves) to avoid pre-exhausting those smaller muscles.

The only real drawback to this strategy is that you’ll progress a little slower, in terms of strength gains, since you’re “first priority” of each workout is different. But this can be addressed fairly easily, depending on how long an exercise goes before it’s comes back to the top of the list. If you’re “prioritizing” a given exercise at least twice per week, strength gains shouldn’t be majorly affected.

Exactly what does your weekly plan look like - exercises, sets, and reps?

Thanks for the reply. My weekly plan is here http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_log/jakerz_log

in my training log, but so you don’t have to track it down…

Monday and Friday:
Front Squats (Back squats are out now due to shoulder injury and lack of mobility)
Standing Calf Raises
Single leg Romanian Deadlifts
Seated Calf Raises

Tuesday and Thursday:
Bench Press
Bent Rows (supinated grip Thursday, pronated grip Tuesday)
DB Overhead Press (my shoulders tolerate this better than barbell)
Pull-ups (pull-ups Thursday, chin-ups Tuesday)
Standing Calves
Seated Calves

Wednesday:
Deadlifts
Seated Calves
Walking Lunges (with a plate until I my legs scream and then 3 more sets like it)
Standing Calves

Saturday:
Shoulder Raises (whatever feels underworked)
Bicep Curls (whatever tickles my fancy)

All lifts unless otherwise specified ~ 5x5 with increasing load, lifting explosively and trying to incorporate the “Perfect Rep” and “Max Force Reps” and "Auto Regulation (I am really liking this by the way after about two weeks!)

I’m not crazy about that plan at all. The exercise selection is all over the place focus-wise and redundant in a lot of ways (not much variety). I’d rather tweak it to something along these lines.

Monday
A) Deadlift 5x2-4
B) Front squat 4x8-10
C1) Seated calf raise 3x12-15
C2) Toe raise 3x12-15

Tuesday
A) Flat bench press 5x4-6
B) Low incline dumbbell press 3x6-8
C) Barbell row 5x4-6
D) Random biceps exercise 2-3x6-10

Wednesday
A) Walking lunge 4x15-20
B) One-leg Romanian deadlift 4x8-10
C) One-leg standing calf raise 3x8-10

Thursday
A) Pull-up 5x4-6
B) Close-grip pulldown 4x6-8
C) Standing dumbbell overhead press 4x6-8
D) Random triceps exercise 2-3x6-10

Friday
A) Front squat 5x2-4
B) Reverse lunge 4x6-8
C) Romanian deadlift 3x6-10
D1) Different random biceps exercise 2-4x6-12
D2) Different random triceps exercise 2-4x6-12

Consider incorporating “fillers” each workout to address your shoulder and mobility issues:

… Or you could skip everything I just said and use something like Cressey’s Offseason Strength Plan. That would fit your goals and schedule pretty well:

Dr. Clay’s Blending Size and Strength would also be a good call:

Thanks for the suggestions I am currently reevaluating what to do starting next week. As I was planning to stick with what I had for 4 weeks. So far the progress has been good (but I am new (all over again) to this). I’ll post my new plan (after reading what you suggested on my training log) feel free to offer criticisms and help.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
I’m not crazy about that plan at all. The exercise selection is all over the place focus-wise and redundant in a lot of ways (not much variety). I’d rather tweak it to something along these lines.
[/quote]

enough said