T Nation

Rotating Exercises Timeframe?

Was just wondering what the minimum amount of time, in weeks, would be to come back to a ME movement. Could I use 3-4 ME movements for upper and lower, hit a 5RM one week a 3RM the next then rotate, then in 4-6 weeks come back to that same movement? Thanks

Imo you can rotate endless movements as long as you don’t get away from the main movement and hit your weaknesses on accessory movements.A close grip bench,close-ish,medium,regular,1 board press,1 inch off the chest pin press done with either light bands or straight weights are all movements you can change each week and still make progress on your bench.Now if you add 3 chains on each side plus some strong bands don’t wonder why your raw bench doesn’t go up

But take my advice with a grain of salt I only bench around 265 lbs

I can’t see my response for some reason so I’ll write it again

Imo as long as you don’t get too far away from your the movement you wanna improve rotate as many exercises you want.For example close grip bench,close-ish,medium,competition,1 inch off the chest pin press,1 and 2 board,floor press done with either straight weight or light band tension are movements you can rotate and still make progress.

Now if you use put 3 chains plus bands to the ones I mentioned don’t wonder why you’ll always get stuck at the chest.Also accessories play a huge role.If your triceps suck and after 6 months your arm size is the same you should probably re think all the shit you do after you bench

But then again take my advice with a grain of salt cause I bench somewhere around a poverty 265

[quote]cwstewart wrote:
Was just wondering what the minimum amount of time, in weeks, would be to come back to a ME movement. Could I use 3-4 ME movements for upper and lower, hit a 5RM one week a 3RM the next then rotate, then in 4-6 weeks come back to that same movement? Thanks[/quote]

I think that’d work. For some reason I thought it was fairly common/effecive to rotate ME movements around once every three weeks. For instance, you’d do 12" box squats for a 5RM, then a 3RM and finally a 1RM. Then you’d switch to something else like a suspended good morning, etc.

But, I’ve also heard of people switching ME movements on a weekly basis.

Bottom line is it’s up to you and as long as it’s working, you’re doing something right for you.

According to Westside literature available, beginners should switch every 3 weeks and advanced lifters every week. Advanced lifters often have more variations they choose from.

Beginners typically choose variations closer to the main lifts and fewer variations. As one’s training age increases, exercises further away from the comp lift are needed to work specific weak points and give the body a different enough stressor so the lifter doesn’t burn out. At least according to Westside principles.

If you lift raw, you’ll probably need some more dedicated quad work than you typically see in most westside splits. You’ll also most likely want to let your knees drift forward some and not like a Westside style box squat. You’ll also want to use about +/-10% more of your max for the DE lifts.

To many people, the lack of practice of the main lifts is an issue with Westside and I’m inclined to agree. So I set up basically a Westside split that’s whole body 3x/week and rotate each lift through DE, RE, ME methods. For me, it keeps things interesting while still practicing each comp lift every week in one of the methods above. It also makes me more selective about the exercises I choose because I only have so much in me after doing some kind of deadlift/squat and bench type movement.

If your new into Westside, I highly recommend Jim Wendler’s Max Effort book. I think its the most well written piece of Westside literature there is. Also, look up the squat manual by David Tate on elitefts. Dave tate’s bench manual is very good too.