Ross Enamait Circuit

I just got back from the local H.S. track and did one of Ross’s interval challenges…

12 burpees
24 pushups
36 bw squats
400m run

They are done back to back with little or no rest in between and you run through it four times. It was a nice change from sprint intervals and hills and was pretty brutal near the end. The rain and fog made it that much more pleasant.

I really like alot of Ross’s strength and conditioning stuff and try to incorporate as much of it as I can into my weekly training.

Was just wondering if anyone else uses Ross’s methods. If anyone is interested, here is a link…

www.rosstraining.com/articles.html

I’m gonna have to try that some time, I’ve done something similar and “enjoyed” it

100 turns jump rope,
400m run,
rest,
repeat

That site was pretty cool… I wonder if we can get him to do an article for T-Nation overviewing some of his principles… he might over-do the conditioning thing, but I’d say most people drastically under-do it.

I’m sure one of our regular contributors know him (they always do)… any chance you can solicit him for an article?

[quote]Jeff K wrote:
I’m gonna have to try that some time, I’ve done something similar and “enjoyed” it

100 turns jump rope,
400m run,
rest,
repeat

That site was pretty cool… I wonder if we can get him to do an article for T-Nation overviewing some of his principles… he might over-do the conditioning thing, but I’d say most people drastically under-do it.

I’m sure one of our regular contributors know him (they always do)… any chance you can solicit him for an article?

[/quote]

I’ve emailed Ross back and forth a number of times, and his responses are very timely and well-thought out. He certainly strikes me as a very humble guy.

That’s a good point about most people “underdoing” the conditioning side of things…I agree. Building muscle and great conditioning is a very delicate balance. They are both extremely important to me, personally, and I really have to be careful about one inhibiting my ability on the other.

As for Ross, he’s a witch.

work capacity 101 is a good its on rosstraing.com

I’m a big fan of Ross.

Ross sells a great product at a reasonable price, every email I’ve sent him he responded to it quickly and if you’re looking for something in the conditioning and strenght area of fitness then I would recommend him.

Ross doesn’t focus on aesthetics at all. He’s a former boxer who enjoys training athletes for performance.

In short, I agree with the OP.

I agree with the comment about Ross’s “magic” being in his attitude. I love the guy’s passion and intensity.

Interesting point about Crossfit. I’ve seen posts here where that training methodology has gotten bashed. Noone is more about building muscle than me, but I’m also a huge proponent of maximizing conditioning. As I mentioned, it’s a delicate balance.

Ross is a solid guy. I have all of his books and love them. If I’m bored on a Saturday I like to pull out a random conditioning drill from his books and do it.

I’ve looked at his website many times, and get his newsletter. I have a lot of respect for him.

Reminds a bit of the training session that Dan John describes in one of his articles, apparently used by a hammer thrower called Litvinov (world champ in 1993). He front squatted 405 lb for 8 reps, then immediately ran 400m in 75 sec. Repeat 3 times. BTW, he was 5’ 10" and weighed 196.

I have a couple of his books. They are really good when you don’t have access to any equipment and you want a “new” way to get smoked.

I’m a HUGE fan of Ross’s work. I’ve been training largely for performance these past 4 years, and a lot of my work is inspired by him. Have both his books and I’d recommend them to anybody.

ross doesn’t over do the conditioning. you have to keep in mind his site, goals and training are based around the combat athlete.

theres no such thing as being too conditioned as a combat athlete. ross’ teachings are actually pretty damn well rounded when it comes to maximul strength training, strength endurance and condition. i couldn’t imagine being in the 12th round of a boxing match saying to myself “i think i emphasized too much on conditioning”…

he emphasizes all around development. i bought the never gymless book(i am 16) to help with baseball(better conditioning and strength only helps if u go to practices and practice skills though). I can say it has gotten me much stronger and better conditioned.
even though i am not even close to being as strong to some people on here i will post my improvements since using this book for 5 and a half months, keep in mind im only 16 and about 5’10 and 160lbs.
bench from 150 to 205
squat from 205 to 285
deadlift 245 to 325
thats just max strength improvements though i have increased very much from doing plyometrics and conditioning also.
book is only 25 dollars and so is the other one.

I’ll use a modified version of one of his conditioning bodyweight circuits a couple times a week because I just don’t like running.

It’s been a nice stand-in.

The circuit: (no rest between exercises)
30 secs - burpees
30 secs - jumping jacks
30 secs - grasshoppers
30 secs - burpees
30 secs - split jumps
30 secs - mountain climbers
1 minute rest

Repeat for 6 rounds.

On occasion, I’ll also do some other bodyweight stuff I picked up from his material.

However, I think the best thing I picked up from his stuff is the burpee. The bastard!