T Nation

Ronnie Suing Gold's Gym

not that interesting but worth sharing

Ronnie Coleman, who has been crowned Mr. Olympia (do they crown them??) eight times, is suing Gold’s Gym for allegedly using his muscles to lure in members.

In a lawsuit filed today in L.A. County Superior Court, Coleman claims Gold’s used a photo of him to advertise Gold’s … a photo that was plastered on posters.

Coleman is suing for misappropriation of image, invasion of privacy and unjust enrichment. He’s seeking unspecified damages and an injunction putting the kibosh on the poster

Some of the comments.

“OUCH …he looks like a chunk of hard poopoo. Someone flush this dude dude”

“This guy looks disgusting! He has got to be as unhealthy as a 1000 pound man. What kind of damage does that (and I am assuming the obvious steriod use) do to someone’s body? He’s like an anorexic-he needs some serious mental health help.”

“He is big but can he open a pickle jar for his wife?”

“Yuck. He makes me want to barf.”

“what a gay queen…a good rep for steroids though. Its amazing what drugs can do these days…but too bad he’s looking at a heat attack when he’s 55…steroids at that level kill over time…just ask Arnold- he had a 5-way bypass he credits to his steroid use back in the day”

No respect, no respect.

So many uneducated replies to the piece…so sad.

This one is the best “Thats EXACTLY why I don’t go to a gym… FREAK” Oh because magically working out will make you look like ronnie coleman, hahah.

Besides the idiots commenting… Ronnie is absolutely right in bringing a lawsuit against Golds.

[quote]Scott M wrote:
Besides the idiots commenting… Ronnie is absolutely right in bringing a lawsuit against Golds. [/quote]

Agree.

I’m not sure how much winning the Olympia pays, but Bodybuilding isn’t exactly a high-paying sport.

I have a feeling his opening statement to the judge might sound something like:

“Your Honor, everybody wants big muscles but nobody want to lift these heavy assed weights!! – LIGHT WEIGHT, BABY!!! Thank you.”

Well if you look at the cars he drives and his house I think he’s well off. The point is they used his image to attract members to the gym without his permission and he deserves to be compensated for it.

[quote]Scott M wrote:
Besides the idiots commenting… Ronnie is absolutely right in bringing a lawsuit against Golds. [/quote]

True.

It does bother me that people really think that way as far as the replies to that article. What makes it worse is that some of the people on this site even seem to think like that.

[quote]shizen wrote:
This one is the best “Thats EXACTLY why I don’t go to a gym… FREAK” Oh because magically working out will make you look like ronnie coleman, hahah. [/quote]

LOL!!

Ronnie Coleman is why they don’t work out. I have heard every excuse in the book except, “I don’t workout because a Mr. Olympia exists.”

[quote]shizen wrote:
This one is the best “Thats EXACTLY why I don’t go to a gym… FREAK” Oh because magically working out will make you look like ronnie coleman, hahah. [/quote]

I just can’t fathom how anyone can have so little understanding of any form of physical fitness as to make statements like that. It really speaks to the poor state of phys. ed. in the US (and I would imagine abroad as well). Just a basic understanding of how the body works in practical application would pretty much end stupid statements like that.

[quote]shizen wrote:

And the people who say that are usually 130 skinny-fat

[quote]jstines wrote:
shizen wrote:
This one is the best “Thats EXACTLY why I don’t go to a gym… FREAK” Oh because magically working out will make you look like ronnie coleman, hahah.

I just can’t fathom how anyone can have so little understanding of any form of physical fitness as to make statements like that. It really speaks to the poor state of phys. ed. in the US (and I would imagine abroad as well). Just a basic understanding of how the body works in practical application would pretty much end stupid statements like that. [/quote]

The title of the article welcomed comments like that. Mr. Olympia Rages at Gold’s? Rages? Would an upset Ronnie Coleman even be anything but hilarious?

[quote] wrote:
[/quote]

Ronnie and Cutler are very well off, cars, their house. Man they are payed to workout. Ronnie is not suing bcaz of the money but because (my guess) Golds aint what we consider “hardcore” gym, so he probably takes as a disrespect or something for Golds to use his image.

Not that I would expect a huge braintrust from the TMZ Blog-roll, but this is one of the more egregious set of ad hominem responses I’ve seen.

Ronnie’s image is Ronnie’s image. I wonder what Gold’s would do if “FatAss Anonymous” used their trademarked logo as representing their group.

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
Some of the comments.

“OUCH …he looks like a chunk of hard poopoo. Someone flush this dude dude”

“This guy looks disgusting! He has got to be as unhealthy as a 1000 pound man. What kind of damage does that (and I am assuming the obvious steriod use) do to someone’s body? He’s like an anorexic-he needs some serious mental health help.”

“He is big but can he open a pickle jar for his wife?”

“Yuck. He makes me want to barf.”

“what a gay queen…a good rep for steroids though. Its amazing what drugs can do these days…but too bad he’s looking at a heat attack when he’s 55…steroids at that level kill over time…just ask Arnold- he had a 5-way bypass he credits to his steroid use back in the day”

No respect, no respect.[/quote]

When did Arnold credit a “5-way bypass” to “steroid use back in the day”?

This is why people can’t even get HRT now. This level of ignorance needs to stop.

[quote]shizen wrote:

Oh, so the person doesn’t even go to the gym, yet read an article about a bodybuilder anyway. Then, they the felt compelled to comment on a subject they know nothing about and basically broadcast that they are lazy. Fucking trolls.

[quote]jstines wrote:
shizen wrote:

I just can’t fathom how anyone can have so little understanding of any form of physical fitness as to make statements like that. It really speaks to the poor state of phys. ed. in the US (and I would imagine abroad as well). Just a basic understanding of how the body works in practical application would pretty much end stupid statements like that. [/quote]

I think the physical education curriculam needs to be revamped and re-prioritized. We have kids at 12 learning calculas that haven’t even perfected fundamental math, that have absolutely no understanding of their body. Athletes nowadays are bigger and stronger, but if your not groomed to be an athlete the average american just seems to get dumber and fatter when it comes to their body.

Look at some more of the comments on the other pages. Like this one:

“Do these muscle bound weirdos actually think this is attractive? You’d think they would have something more constructive to do with their lives. This poster is a good advertisement to stay away from Gold’s Gym. That guy is just nasty and unhealthy looking. I’d take a pot belly any day over that!!! Btw, I’m female.”

Or this:

“Not only do I find his body extremely unatrractive, but you have to wonder about a man who spends so much of his time working out. Is he that obsessed with himself or is he trying to impress others? Give me a tall, thin, thinking man any day. Today would be nice, lol.”

So apparently women today would rather have fat-asses or walking twigs than a bodybuilder.

Then I realized it was fucking TMZ.com, and both of these women were probably 250 lbs housewives, gorging on cookies n’ cream while surfing the celebrity gossip sites with Oprah on in the background.

Then I started to wonder - how did the OP run across this article? Was he surfing TMZ?

Comment number 16:

“not only do steroids kill you over time…sorry children, they do…but i’ve interviewed 100 women and only 2 liked bodybuilders…soooo i guess ronnie wants big ol inflated water-filled steroid cells to impress you gay flowers…that’s all steroids do- allow the cell wall to stretch and fill with water…stop taking them and the cell collapses…bytheway…i’m in med school at UVA and a natural bodybuilder…i guess the med journals are wrong huh, steroids are good for you at massive doses…silly doctors…you gym rats know better huh…”