Ronnie Coleman: Unbelievable DVD

Just watched “Unbelievable”. Two things struck me:

1. His unglamorous lifestyle. The guy was a 2X Mr. Olympia when this movie was made and he was still working as a Texas cop and lived in regular middle-class neighborhood (however he did have a Dodge Viper). His personal treadmill looked like it came from Walmart and he cooked all his own food. No personal chefs, maids, or assistants. Just a regular guy who happens to be a world champion.

2. Every rep of every set he does in the movie could be technically classified as a partial rep. He never used a “full range of motion” on anything. That is by no means a criticism (he’s Ronnie, after all), just an interesting observation.

he doesn’t complete a complete rep till his last one.

I was impressed by his loyalty to his friend, the gym owner, which is still evident in the “Cost of Redemption” DVD.

That video is great. If you don’t feel like lifting, throw that on and you’re good to go. He and other top guys like Cutler, rarely do a full range of motion. Something to think about. Ronnie seems very down to earth for his accomplishments.

He may not have a personal chef, but he does have help with cooking, etc. He mentioned it onetime in a video, or an interview. It was a girlfriend, or his Mom or sister that does most of his cooking. On the video, you mainly just see him re-heating, and making protein shakes. He eats out a lot too.

[quote]PGJ wrote:

1. His unglamorous lifestyle. The guy was a 2X Mr. Olympia when this movie was made and he was still working as a Texas cop and lived in regular middle-class neighborhood (however he did have a Dodge Viper). His personal treadmill looked like it came from Walmart and he cooked all his own food. No personal chefs, maids, or assistants. Just a regular guy who happens to be a world champion.
    [/quote]

Well even though he was a 2x Mr.O at this point I highly doubt he was rich. Above average sure, but your not going to see him buying some mansion at this point in his life.

As for the treadmill, I don’t believe it really matters. As long as it works who cares I guess. I also wouldn’t want anyone preparing my food if I were already a 2x champ. Why risk someone else messing up his food when he knows how to do it better than anyone else could.

I guess he really met the part were he said he loved his job, cause I woulda been out of there after my 2nd title.

[quote]PGJ wrote:

2. Every rep of every set he does in the movie could be technically classified as a partial rep. He never used a “full range of motion” on anything. That is by no means a criticism (he’s Ronnie, after all), just an interesting observation. [/quote]

I’m not sure which DVD I saw but I think it was after 4 O wins and I too was surprised at his individual commitment so to speak. You’d think he’d have cooks and trainers and all these guys around him but he wakes up, cooks his breakfast watches the tv and then trains.

There’s no real motivational guru or anything he just does it because I believe he loves it, and I thought that made him more praised in my eyes.

I love that video. The thing that’s most inspiring about it is that Ronnie works hard as hell at the gym and has a great time doing it. No “life is pain” nonsense.

As far as food goes, if you watch “The Cost of Redemption” you’ll see that most of his meals are eaten at the same restaurants. Invariably the same meal every day.

He has grits and eggs for breakfast every day, but that’s about the extent of his cooking. You also get to see what he did when he came into a bit more money a few years later than the first DVD (buy a couple of cars, a house for his mother, a small gym for his house, and a case load of Masterpiece barbecue sauce. I seem to remember him buying some 200lbs dumbells for Metroflex too.)

I hope he doesn’t get nailed over this Florida pharmacy business.

[quote]daltron wrote:
PGJ wrote:

2. Every rep of every set he does in the movie could be technically classified as a partial rep. He never used a “full range of motion” on anything. That is by no means a criticism (he’s Ronnie, after all), just an interesting observation.

I’m not sure which DVD I saw but I think it was after 4 O wins and I too was surprised at his individual commitment so to speak. You’d think he’d have cooks and trainers and all these guys around him but he wakes up, cooks his breakfast watches the tv and then trains.

There’s no real motivational guru or anything he just does it because I believe he loves it, and I thought that made him more praised in my eyes.[/quote]

Compare him to other top athletes who have a posse follow them around, wear outlandishly expensive clothes, and live the rock star life. It’s top prize at Mr. O $100,000? Do that twice, plus all the endorsements he gets and speaking engagements…

I bet he could have easily afforded to move to a more luxurious neighborhood. That was funny when he was pulling out of his driveway (it looked like he shared his driveway with his neighbor) in his Viper, and there were old trucks on the street

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I was impressed by his loyalty to his friend, the gym owner, which is still evident in the “Cost of Redemption” DVD.[/quote]

That was very touching, even though the guy looked like one of the Village People. I googled that gym (Metroflex gym), looks like you have to be competitive to join. Didn’t look like regular folks could join.

[quote]Nothingface wrote:
That video is great. If you don’t feel like lifting, throw that on and you’re good to go. He and other top guys like Cutler, rarely do a full range of motion. Something to think about.

[/quote]

I have been brainwashed to believe you MUST go all the way up and all the way down on every rep. Maybe I’ll try a few weeks using Ronnie’s method. I wonder what Cosgrove and Waterbury have to say about strict use of complete full range of motion reps.

Yeah, buddy! Light weight! Wooo!

He kills me every time.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
That was funny when he was pulling out of his driveway (it looked like he shared his driveway with his neighbor) in his Viper, and there were old trucks on the street

[/quote]

Dude, that’s just called “living in Texas”.